Cyle Larin

shermanator

I would like nothing more than to see Larin have success for the CMNT. He has all the attributes to make a difference for us......however it has not happened to date. Cavallini in the Gold Cup consistently  held up the ball really well and then was able to turn while still shielding the ball and thereby inducing the defender to foul him.  He was strong on the ball, aggressive in pressuring defenders and midfielders in trying to win the ball back and played with a lot of "passion" that I have not seen from Larin. Cav did not have more than one scoring opportunity IIRC, but I think that will change with more playing time with the CMNT.

I like Cavallini and I like Larin and I want to see both play together, but if we are going with one or the other I would choose Cavallini, but that does not mean Larin has not performed for the national team, it just means that Cavallini has, in my opinion, been more valuable, or put another way, the team has played better with him in the line up than Larin.

I can't say how much that comes down to Cavallini and Larin versus the team just playing better for a variety of other reasons. What I do know is that Cavallini looked better in the Gold Cup alongside Hoilett, Arfield, Davies, Piette etc. than Larin, but it's a very very small sample size.

At the end of the day, I am just happy we have two centre forwards that are young and have quality. One has scored regularly in MLS for years, the other is scoring in Liga MX for one of the weaker teams. Both are getting playing time, so not much to complain about.

Also thankful we have a third option who scored 9 league goals for a Canadian MLS team.

We have a fourth option who has scored 7 league goals for another Canadian MLS team.

And we even have another option who scored 9 goals last year in the SPL.

Very happy with our CF depth right now.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I like Cavallini and I like Larin and I want to see both play together, but if we are going with one or the other I would choose Cavallini, but that does not mean Larin has not performed for the national team, it just means that Cavallini has, in my opinion, been more valuable, or put another way, the team has played better with him in the line up than Larin.

I can't say how much that comes down to Cavallini and Larin versus the team just playing better for a variety of other reasons. What I do know is that Cavallini looked better in the Gold Cup alongside Hoilett, Arfield, Davies, Piette etc. than Larin, but it's a very very small sample size.

At the end of the day, I am just happy we have two centre forwards that are young and have quality. One has scored regularly in MLS for years, the other is scoring in Liga MX for one of the weaker teams. Both are getting playing time, so not much to complain about.

Also thankful we have a third option who scored 9 league goals for a Canadian MLS team.

We have a fourth option who has scored 7 league goals for another Canadian MLS team.

And we even have another option who scored 9 goals last year in the SPL.

Very happy with our CF depth right now.

I think I am going to copy this for my Thanksgiving speech and just throw in a few more "thankful"s.

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

Cannot believe all the hate Larin is getting for being in the top 5 by Americans

12 goals and 3 assists... who would be ahead of him?  Even with an off year he is head and shoulders above most players on the list and in fact should probably be higher.  

He has been his clubs go to scorer for their 3 seasons in the league.  I can't believe people are still thinking it's because of Kaka, that was disproved in 2015 and if anything I think kaka has benefitted from Larin more so than the other way around.. I know Larin has assisted at least 2 kaka goals this season and has scored more when he was out of the lineup.

Historically, strikers for Canada no matter how good (or bad) with their clubs, have looked poor for Canada and are hard to rate fairly. As others have mentioned there are so many reasons for this, including: us being relative minnows, defensive tactics, lack of continuity in callups/starting lineup, lack of team training, lack of games played, etc etc. 

This isn't going to change anytime soon, so in my eyes these are the options.

1) Finally try out a strike partnership up top, likely between Cavallini and Larin. Ideally, it would be in a friendly against lower level competition where Oz can see if he can somehow rope together a 3-5-2, or a narrow 4-4-2; both of which will have some of our better players stretched a bit out of position.

2) Use a striker that will focus only on poaching goals and float around throughout the game looking for opportunities (i.e. AJH, possibly Larin)

3) Look to use a defensive or deep-lying forward who will look to link and hold up play (i.e. Cavallini, Haber, possibly Larin)

4) Look to use a pace-merchant who will get in behind (i.e. Ricketts)

5) Be patient with Larin and let him integrate with our newfound technical approach because he is still likely our best all-around striker.

I think the problem Larin is going to have is that while he may be our best overall striker, he may not be the best at the specific skills necessary to be effective on a team such as the CMNT. While we are improving technically and have players that are going to get the ball to him in good positions, this may take some time before we are proficient at creating chances. Furthermore, the other formations I've suggested also likely move Hoilett out of position and cause more problems for us in other areas.

As such, in the short-term I think it's much easier and will likely be more effective to play either Cavallini or AJH. It really depends on how strongly Oz feels about Larin's qualities to come good in our tactical setup. I'll say that for the first time in a long time, I do trust our manager to make the right call over the long-term. 

Edited by kingvikingstad

• 4 weeks later...

Larin has officially declared his desire to move to Europe. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-city-lions/on-the-pitch/os-sp-orlando-city-cyle-larin-1026-story.html

“I think I’m ready to challenge myself and play at the highest possible level I can,” Larin said. “My contract is ending this season, and I think it’s the right time. I love playing for Orlando. MLS and Orlando have given me a lot, and in the three years I’ve been here, I love playing and I love the fans, but I think to reach my goals it’s necessary to play at the highest level possible with the best players.”

Larin said he hasn’t yet spoken to Kreis or the front office staff about what their vision is for him. The club has made clear many times that any move would have to be good for both the Lions and the Canadian forward.

Orlando City general manager Niki Budalic told the Sentinel Wednesday there are no active negotiations involving Larin and the club has not received an offer for the striker since the close of the European transfer window.

56 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Well that's not surprising, but hopefully he goes to a team that will push him to be better and still give him chances to play. Would love for him to go to Germany and learn from them. Well wherever he goes I hope he succeeds and becomes a complete forward.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

I'll go with long, ugly legal battle keeps him off the field at club level until next August.

Definitely seems its heading that way.

Larin: "My contract is ending this season"

Orlando GM Budalic: "He's under contract for two more years"

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/news/cyle-larin-its-the-right-time-to-go-to-europe/1qqjcbl4ek18d12mgxocz301gr

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I'll go with long, ugly legal battle keeps him off the field at club level until next August.

Could go that way easily but, aside from the possible challenge of the option situation, isn't Orlando now able to get a bigger percentage of the payoff than before for Larin? Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they only going to get like 50% (the other 50% going to MLS) before and now they'll get like 80% or something like that.

Everton would be interesting, seeing as they are sucking and could use some goals. Leeds, no. Mainly cause I don't like them but also because I think they're going to do an Ipswich and stay in mediocrity forever. Besiktas would be nice but think he'd too easily get lost in the shuffle there. Who knows! Germany would be a good spot for him, there or Belgium

5 hours ago, matty said:

Could go that way easily but, aside from the possible challenge of the option situation, isn't Orlando now able to get a bigger percentage of the payoff than before for Larin? Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they only going to get like 50% (the other 50% going to MLS) before and now they'll get like 80% or something like that.

2/3 instead of 1/2.

But if Besiktas steps in and says we're signing him for free and MLS says "like hell you will...". This thing ends up in CAS and when MLS loses then it's a matter of comp. because he's under 23 and MLS is butt hurt so they play hard ball and then those negotiations go to a moderator.

Edited by jpg75