Cyle Larin

shermanator

3 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

TBH West Brom sounds like an ideal scenario that people on here have been saying for years. Go to mid-level league and develop then can go right to a Premier league side if he does well.

More often than not, that situation ends up as: Does well in mid-level league, trains with PL side in preseason before being sent back to the mid-level league for one more season, rejoins PL side a year later where a shiny new signing from the Bundesliga or Ligue 1 gets the starting role, transferred out in winter to a side you could have signed for 3 years ago. And that's if there aren't work permit issues.

I firmly believe nobody should sign with a EPL side unless they are coming from another top 6 league. The EPL chews up and spits out most other players and doesn't even compare developmentally to the Bundesliga or Portugal. I don't think its a coincidence that both Mexico and the US have had huge youth success in Europe recently after focusing on getting players into Germany/Portugal/Netherlands instead of Spain and England.

2 hours ago, PhillyCanuck said:

Looks like Larin is keeping an eye on Beşiktaş, which has been a rumoured destination for months:

https://twitter.com/CyleLarin/status/933015016453709825

The tweet doesn't seem to really point to anything indicating a move. But every response to his tweet are people saying "Come to Besiktas". Nice to see he seems to be wanted by their fans (I'm assuming most are legit Besiktas fans, and not just CMNT fans.)

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

I don't think its a coincidence that both Mexico and the US have had huge youth success in Europe recently after focusing on getting players into Germany/Portugal/Netherlands instead of Spain and England.

Mexico and the US gave up on getting their players into Spain, right. Where do you make this stuff up?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Mexico and the US gave up on getting their players into Spain, right. Where do you make this stuff up?

Number of Mexican players on the books at La Liga clubs in 2012: 6.

Number of Mexican players on the books at La Liga clubs in 2017: 2...1 after Vela comes to MLS in a month.

Number of Mexican players on the books at Primeira Liga clubs in 2012: 1.

Number of Mexican players on the books at Primeira Liga clubs in 2017: 9.

36 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Number of Mexican players on the books at La Liga clubs in 2012: 6.

Number of Mexican players on the books at La Liga clubs in 2017: 2...1 after Vela comes to MLS in a month.

Number of Mexican players on the books at Primeira Liga clubs in 2012: 1.

Number of Mexican players on the books at Primeira Liga clubs in 2017: 9.

Because, as you seemed to say, they decided to stop trying to get in and gave up on it?

As if it was a conscious decision on their part, that is what you seemed to be implying.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Because, as you seemed to say, they decided to stop trying to get in and gave up on it?

As if it was a conscious decision on their part, that is what you seemed to be implying.

There wasn't a grand conspiracy at the FMF to abandon Spain, but the players and agents learned that the best thing for growth was to go to Portugal. Same with the US and England/Germany. 

Celtic is the safe option. Should get plenty of reps and can pad his stats. Gets to play in Europe regularly and the level of domestic competition will give him a few tough games, though admittedly a few easy ones.

West Brom is not a bad option if he can go on loan and play, though I would rather he just transfer to an Anderlecht or Feyenoord directly, rather than play on loan for a team like that.

Besiktas is still what I a rooting for, but I am nervous he is going to find playing time very hard to come by. Besiktas are very good this season. I would not be surprised if he'd go on loan right away to a mid table Turkish Super Lig side, which wouldn't be terrible, I guess.... 

I just really can't see him getting minutes in this Besiktas team. 

4 hours ago, matty said:

Just curious who do you think the other Turkish team is. Aside from Besiktas has any Turkish team been in the picture ever?

I don’t know what other team is, but i hope it is Galatasary or Fenerbahce. Over the years it has been a three way battle between Bisiktas, Galatasary, and Fenerbahce for top spot. All three of these teams would be great for Larin at the moment. 

9 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

TBH West Brom sounds like an ideal scenario that people on here have been saying for years. Go to mid-level league and develop then can go right to a Premier league side if he does well.

West Brom just fired the coach, which takes this (at least temporarily) option off the table until they find a new one...

Edited by BCM

22 hours ago, matty said:

Just curious who do you think the other Turkish team is. Aside from Besiktas has any Turkish team been in the picture ever?

As I understand it, that is just the agent saying "others" to keep Besiktas on its toes. Agent rumours are really important in these deals, as they feed the press and put pressure on the FO of a club to not let someone slip past them. 

Negredo was transfered to Besiktas for 2.5 million euros, that is over 3 million US. And it's been a bad investment so far. 

On 21/11/2017 at 11:52 PM, Obinna said:

Celtic is the safe option. Should get plenty of reps and can pad his stats. Gets to play in Europe regularly and the level of domestic competition will give him a few tough games, though admittedly a few easy ones.

West Brom is not a bad option if he can go on loan and play, though I would rather he just transfer to an Anderlecht or Feyenoord directly, rather than play on loan for a team like that.

Besiktas is still what I a rooting for, but I am nervous he is going to find playing time very hard to come by. Besiktas are very good this season. I would not be surprised if he'd go on loan right away to a mid table Turkish Super Lig side, which wouldn't be terrible, I guess.... 

I just really can't see him getting minutes in this Besiktas team. 

If he'll find it hard to crack the Besiktas line-up how will he make Celtic? They are saying that Celtic might have another invincible season. Unless he gets a loan to a club where he will get minutes and develop I don't think that Celtic is a very good idea.

1 minute ago, Jith12 said:

If he'll find it hard to crack the Besiktas line-up how will he make Celtic? They are saying that Celtic might have another invincible season. Unless he gets a loan to a club where he will get minutes and develop I don't think that Celtic is a very good idea.

Besiktas is a much better team than Celtic.

3 hours ago, Jith12 said:

A lot of matches against poor teams at Celtic.

Much more parity in Turkey, so at Besiktas there'd be fewer chances to get a run out against a minnow.

Celtic may also get Europa League games in the new year (more chances to play), whereas Besiktas will have at least one champions league game guaranteed, which I cannot see Larin getting into. Best case scenario he'd be like an injury time sub, but regardless we are likely talking 1 game for Besiktas in the knockout rounds. Anything more would be a massive success. It is the first time the club has made the knockouts I believe. Celtic on the otherhand may go two, three, even four games deep in the Europa league knockout round, should they make it to the tournament and pip Anderlecht to 3rd.

Edited by Obinna

Hmm, you got me looking at the possible teams Besiktas could play in the next round. Even though they finished group winners they'll be in tough. The best possible draw would probably be against Basel/CSKA Moscow (whoever comes out in 2nd place in group A). After that, probably Shaktar Donetsk. After that it gets really tough, and Juventus (if they make it), Bayern Munich and Real Madrid are all in play. Yikes!