Marcus Haber

19 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t want to over-generalize but I am guessing he would look like a friggin giant against some defensive line-ups.  

A quick lookup found a good mix of CB's above 6 foot. 
So he'll look like he did in the CPL where there was only a handful of asians in the league.  

In other words you over-generalized. 

Edited by Shway

On 12/22/2020 at 4:54 PM, Zem said:

Apparently set to sign for a club in Cambodia, which should be a fun new chapter for him.

I'd bet it's probably Visakha, the defending cup winners, who are based in Phnom Penh and are looking for a new starting striker after losing their leading scorer from last season, Croatian Filip Mihaljević. They'll be playing in the preliminary round of the AFC Cup in April.

Wow. I lived in Phnom Penh for 5 years until 2018 and went to a couple of games, very low level. Cannot imagine the pay is very good either. Interesting part of the world to live in though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Funny, I thought of him the other day and was going to post wondering who held the record for most teams played/trialed for.  There can't be anyone in Canada remotely close to him, in fact I wonder if he doesn't hold the world record.

I would love it if he (or somebody who knows) knew how many teams he's worn the shirt for.  It is an incredible number.

I went to transfermarkt and I bet they are missing a ton of teams (maybe I'm wrong) and I'm counting trials as well. I suppose transfermarkt is only signings.

8 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Funny, I thought of him the other day and was going to post wondering who held the record for most teams played/trialed for.  There can't be anyone in Canada remotely close to him, in fact I wonder if he doesn't hold the world record.

I would love it if he (or somebody who knows) knew how many teams he's worn the shirt for.  It is an incredible number.

I went to transfermarkt and I bet they are missing a ton of teams (maybe I'm wrong) and I'm counting trials as well. I suppose transfermarkt is only signings.

Doesn’t come close to this ex Calgary Storm man for a world record 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutz_Pfannenstiel 

Also well behind Abreu 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastián_Abreu

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
12 hours ago, VinceA said:

Wow Victor Blasco is there with him.

Really, he was just in Central America?

Remember when Issey Nakajima-Farran was tearing it up in Malaysia, which is higher level than Cambodia, and then he was just a competent CPL player. So Cambodia must be even lower than CPL. 

I suppose the financials are good enough to make the switch, plus incentives they probably give to foreign internationals in terms of housing, cost of living.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Remember when Issey Nakajima-Farran was tearing it up in Malaysia, which is higher level than Cambodia, and then he was just a competent CPL player. So Cambodia must be even lower than CPL. 

I suppose the financials are good enough to make the switch, plus incentives they probably give to foreign internationals in terms of housing, cost of living.

Prob can save more money in Asia than playing in the cpl or Usl

On 8/7/2022 at 8:47 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I saw a game in Phnom Penh a couple of years ago, the level is very low. Players there are hoping to be noticed so that they can upgrade to other leagues in SE Asia, like Malaysia. I don’t think there are too many professional levels below this. I don’t think there is a lot of money in the Cambodian league so I doubt Haber makes a lot, but cost of living is cheap so perhaps they provide him with a nice flat and an ok western salary, which would make him well off there.

2 minutes ago, lowlander said:

I saw a game in Phnom Penh a couple of years ago, the level is very low. Players there are hoping to be noticed so that they can upgrade to other leagues in SE Asia, like Malaysia. I don’t think there are too many professional levels below this. I don’t think there is a lot of money in the Cambodian league so I doubt Haber makes a lot, but cost of living is cheap so perhaps they provide him with a nice flat and an ok western salary, which would make him well off there.

Sounds like he may get a happy ending.   

He’s one of the best players in the Cambodian league, no? You gotta think that an imported star gets paid at least a very good living wage for Cambodia, and like many of our other older players playing in lower leagues, getting to spend a couple years living in Cambodia and being one of the best players on the field on any given day is not the worst way to spend a couple years in your early 30s.

55 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’ll admit I’ve never been to Asia but how good can life be in Cambodia???

For someone with resources - pretty damn good I suspect.  Food would be amazing, fascinating cultural history, world class beaches, etc.   Not sure I would move there forever but for a few years in my 30s?  Hells yeah.