Marcus Haber

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

A curiosity. How was Haber as a defender? I'm a little too young to remember the 2007 U20 World Cup and eariler.  

In over his head. But he was only 18 (2 years underage) so you can't crap on the kid too much. If we'd had Vitoria (as well as Jono de Guzman and Lensky) on the team things would have been a lot different.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Genuinely surprised he got two more years out of them.  He must be on a very affordable contract.  Happy for him.  I've never been a huge fan, but I thought he was unfairly scapegoated during Crewe's relegation season. Smart move to avoid that six month contract at Southend.

Edited by Marc

• 1 month later...

As I've been saying, and have watched a few SPL matches....The quality is really bad archaic style hard challenge, smash and bash soccer.

Nevertheless, Marcus is doing well there by his goals and TOW accolades. But the reality is, for Canada his style doesn't suit this style of the hemisphere or the style that we play for multiple reasons.

He should be our Andy Carroll, Peter Crouch style player....80 minute an on, where were chasing a goal, and sending long balls.

4 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

As I've been saying, and have watched a few SPL matches....The quality is really bad archaic style hard challenge, smash and bash soccer.

Nevertheless, Marcus is doing well there by his goals and TOW accolades. But the reality is, for Canada his style doesn't suit this style of the hemisphere or the style that we play for multiple reasons.

Bit harsh the 1st part.  Aggressive, physical football shouldn't be misrepresented as archaic though.  Point made though, the quality can be wanting for sure.  As can tactics.  You can take KISS too far but you play with what your budget allows not what you wished your budget allowed.

Haber is a tough fit for Canada.  We just aren't brave enough in attack to work a target player properly.  Not his fault, not ours.  It is what it is.  

5 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Whoa! Surely Scottish Premier is better than that!! I don't know which general consensus you are talking about but I wouldn't go saying that in Scotland if I were you!

I think most Scottish people (I am from Scotland originally) would agree that the chasing pack in the SPFL top tier (everybody other than Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen in other words) would be lower end of League One standard at best in England terms and probably lower than that in many/most cases. It's well known in Scotland that top Conference National teams in England (that's the fifth tier) sometimes have bigger player salary budgets than the lower end Scottish top tier clubs that sometimes have hardcore home supports of less than 2000. England has ten times the population that Scotland does and more lucrative TV deals so there is no huge shame in that. In general people on here tend to read a bit too much into clubs in smaller UEFA members being in the top tier.

5 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Whoa! Surely Scottish Premier is better than that!! I don't know which general consensus you are talking about but I wouldn't go saying that in Scotland if I were you!

No, it's really not. Haber is the perfect example for that. League 1 max (and not the best teams), but can easily hold his own in Schotland. 

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I think most Scottish people (I am from Scotland originally) would agree that the chasing pack in the SPFL top tier (everybody other than Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen in other words) would be lower end of League One standard at best in England terms and probably lower than that in many/most cases. It's well known in Scotland that top Conference National teams in England (that's the fifth tier) sometimes have bigger player salary budgets than the lower end Scottish top tier clubs that sometimes have hardcore home supports of less than 2000. England has ten times the population that Scotland does and more lucrative TV deals so there is no huge shame in that. In general people on here tend to read a bit too much into clubs in smaller UEFA members being in the top tier.

That was right there the best argument I have heard against the independence of Catalonia for Barça supporters. Here it'd be identical, only worse.