Marcus Haber

The lack of work ethic posts followed by the posts saying he ran all over the pitch and gave his all for the team. Make up your minds!

Edit: I have never been a fan when I have seen him play for Canada and have been vocal about that but it wasn't for the lack of him trying on the pitch. Could certainly be different at club level week in week out though. 

Edited by toontownman

I didn't like how he specifically got sh*t on by some people during the U20s World Cup in 2007 when he was pushed back into CB by Mitchell as the whole team struggled.  I've respected how he (and others like Straith and Ledgerwood) have been able to forge out pro careers in lower league Europe even though they have been maligned by some fans. After that WYC he probably wouldn't have been seen as having any chance of a pro career but he has done well for himself, much better than some more heralded members of that 2007 squad.

If he does sign with the Victoria franchise, I hope he does really well in a leadership role.

He actually did really well in the UK in 15-16 and 16-17 but has fallen out of favour.  I wouldn’t look to his strike rate for an indication of his play, though he has had a few decent scoring years he’s a target man  who is great in the air. 

He can sort of be Pacific FC’s Dichio in the early years.

On 1/5/2019 at 5:19 AM, kohanz said:

I mean between the Dundee and Falkirk fans there does seem to be a theme of lack of work ethic. Strange because I didn't have that impression when he played for Canada....

Games in Scotland tend to be played at a very high tempo with a lot of running about like a headless chicken done chasing down no hope scenarios just to keep the fans happy as much as anything else. Players that have the ability to poach goals are useful to any team but will tend to get criticized by fans in Scotland more than they might be elsewhere, if they don't do that.

Think the main concern would be more whether he still has the same appetite for going in where there is a risk of getting hurt as he did when he first broke through to playing at the fully pro level. That's what tends to see a lot of strikers drift out of things by their mid to late twenties even before they lose a step in terms of pace. CanPL teams don't appear to be spending huge amounts on salaries, so still well worth the gamble in that context even if they have to sign him on a guaranteed deal before getting to see him in a training camp I would have thought.

16 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't think Haber has ever been a prototypical  UK target striker. Never good in the air, always like to play on the ground. Reminds me of Hassli.

Maybe not,  but a a lot of his goals for Dundee (last few years) were headers.  And he does seem pretty good at chesting down balls to his strike partner (decent hold up play?).  I think for the level the CPL will be in year one he should do well, if he comes.  

So far the player signings are coming along nicely, with a few fringe CMNT guys, but mainly USL/L1O "hungry" type young guys.  

4 minutes ago, Big_M said:

'Never good in the air'..been watching the wrong guy for the last 10 years..in 14-15 scored 6 headers in league one..in 16-17 4 in scottish premiership

Also 2 nice headers against Japan and Guatemala for the CMNT.. also one against Mexico U23 in 2012 qualifying.  

Happy for him.

Haber's biggest strike against him has always been his passport, plain and simple.

If he was Scottish or English, he would have had a completely different career.

Just consider some of the hot garbage playing in the higher tiers of the UK. But they are local, so they get

the opportunities. Being Canadian, unless he was banging in double figures every season, it was always going to be hard.

Which is the whole point of the CPL, to get our boys playing anyway.

3 hours ago, Wingback6 said:

Happy for him.

Haber's biggest strike against him has always been his passport, plain and simple.

If he was Scottish or English, he would have had a completely different career.

Just consider some of the hot garbage playing in the higher tiers of the UK. But they are local, so they get

the opportunities. Being Canadian, unless he was banging in double figures every season, it was always going to be hard.

Which is the whole point of the CPL, to get our boys playing anyway.

While I'm not 100% on board with this just looking at his years in Scotland, we do know for sure that at his previous clubs he was punished for accepting call ups to Canada and he still always came. Its really a shame that he probably won't earn another call up because we have so much depth at forward. Wouldn't mind him being called up for the game in Vancouver as a squad member... He wont be far away and it would be good for the optics, plus, if he starts banging in the goals we really are 2 injuries away from starting a 19 year old at CF in important games... He fits our current big physical single striker system....

Before everyone starts freaking out, I am saying he really needs to be banging in the goals for PFC and Im not saying call him up over David, Larin, Cav.... But if one of those guys is hurt, who's going in there? Ricketts, Tesho.... they don't really play the single striker system well and may not be playing much this year.... It will be really nice to have the ability to call up whoevers banging them in in CPL if we need to. 

16 hours ago, BradMack said:

While I'm not 100% on board with this just looking at his years in Scotland, we do know for sure that at his previous clubs he was punished for accepting call ups to Canada and he still always came. Its really a shame that he probably won't earn another call up because we have so much depth at forward. Wouldn't mind him being called up for the game in Vancouver as a squad member... He wont be far away and it would be good for the optics, plus, if he starts banging in the goals we really are 2 injuries away from starting a 19 year old at CF in important games... He fits our current big physical single striker system....

Before everyone starts freaking out, I am saying he really needs to be banging in the goals for PFC and Im not saying call him up over David, Larin, Cav.... But if one of those guys is hurt, who's going in there? Ricketts, Tesho.... they don't really play the single striker system well and may not be playing much this year.... It will be really nice to have the ability to call up whoevers banging them in in CPL if we need to. 

I also would like him to get another call-up. But in all honesty. With so many young, quick players coming up, not sure where he fits in. Even Larin looks out of place, when we can play a front three of say, David, Davies, Tabla, Hoilett, or even Ricketts, Tesho or Cavallini.

Haber is best as a second striker/target man. Strong, in the air and on the ball. Good touch/dribbling, better vision than he gets credit for. Unfortunately... football began moving away from the 4-4-2 and it's derivatives right around the time he started his career.

I don't expect him to bang in the goals. Never have. But he's got moves, at least he used to. And I hope to see some of them on display this season... against every team except VFC.

• 1 year later...

Apparently set to sign for a club in Cambodia, which should be a fun new chapter for him.

I'd bet it's probably Visakha, the defending cup winners, who are based in Phnom Penh and are looking for a new starting striker after losing their leading scorer from last season, Croatian Filip Mihaljević. They'll be playing in the preliminary round of the AFC Cup in April.

1 hour ago, Zem said:

Apparently set to sign for a club in Cambodia, which should be a fun new chapter for him.

I'd bet it's probably Visakha, the defending cup winners, who are based in Phnom Penh and are looking for a new starting striker after losing their leading scorer from last season, Croatian Filip Mihaljević. They'll be playing in the preliminary round of the AFC Cup in April.

I believe @Blackdude mentioned elsewhere that Haber and the coach follow each other on Twitter.