Marcus Haber

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

For someone with resources - pretty damn good I suspect.  Food would be amazing, fascinating cultural history, world class beaches, etc.   Not sure I would move there forever but for a few years in my 30s?  Hells yeah.  

I lived there for 5 years until 2018, with family, we loved it. Great culture, great food, great base to travel the country and region. Not a good political situation but a great experience. 

Edited by lowlander

On 8/7/2022 at 12:47 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Remember when Issey Nakajima-Farran was tearing it up in Malaysia, which is higher level than Cambodia, and then he was just a competent CPL player. So Cambodia must be even lower than CPL. 

A partly relevant anecdote - my son was in Cambodia a number of years ago with Samaritan's Purse installing water filters in villages.  At one stop, some kids noticed he had a soccer ball and invited him and his missions team to a pick-up game after dinner.  When they showed up at the field, they were mortified to find the entire town had showed up, including the village team in their full kit.   So it was Village vs. Samaritan's Purse (team of 8, some of whom had barely played soccer) in front of a roaring (ok, talking and smiling) crowd of 200.

But, after 30 minutes, they only lost 3 -1.  (To be fair, if it had gone longer the entire SP team would've expired from heat stroke.)  My son's observation was this - the Cambodians were small and quick but it was clear they had not played any proper organized soccer at all.   Their passing was poor to non-existent and they had some individual tricks/skills but no real idea of formations, structure, tactics, anything really.  He thought he was quite easily the best player on the pitch - an athletic 19 year old, played club and high school soccer but that's it.   The point of it all being that soccer is literally played everywhere on the globe, but many places still lack the infrastructure/training to produce quality players.  Cambodia is one of them. 

1 hour ago, GasPed said:

A partly relevant anecdote - my son was in Cambodia a number of years ago with Samaritan's Purse installing water filters in villages.  At one stop, some kids noticed he had a soccer ball and invited him and his missions team to a pick-up game after dinner.  When they showed up at the field, they were mortified to find the entire town had showed up, including the village team in their full kit.   So it was Village vs. Samaritan's Purse (team of 8, some of whom had barely played soccer) in front of a roaring (ok, talking and smiling) crowd of 200.

But, after 30 minutes, they only lost 3 -1.  (To be fair, if it had gone longer the entire SP team would've expired from heat stroke.)  My son's observation was this - the Cambodians were small and quick but it was clear they had not played any proper organized soccer at all.   Their passing was poor to non-existent and they had some individual tricks/skills but no real idea of formations, structure, tactics, anything really.  He thought he was quite easily the best player on the pitch - an athletic 19 year old, played club and high school soccer but that's it.   The point of it all being that soccer is literally played everywhere on the globe, but many places still lack the infrastructure/training to produce quality players.  Cambodia is one of them. 

You have to figure that they are going to go nuts in Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, in the upcoming years. Not sure when, say maybe 15 years; but if you look at demographics, you'd have to think that Asia is going to be absolutely terrible to try to qualify from for a WC, even if expanded. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

AFTN or another podcast should get him on for an interview to talk about his experiences in that part of the world (or maybe it has been done?).

You could probably do a Dave Bidini Tropic of Hockey style book or documentary collectively profiling Canadian players plying their pro soccer careers in unheralded places of the world.

(Maybe that has already been done, too; I'm not up to speed on my soccer reading of late.)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...