Milan Borjan

Vince193

6 hours ago, theaub said:

Hopefully the CP story has something on him this time.

For the record, Radio Canada has something wrote at the bottom of the screen during the US election coverage: "Le gardien canadien Milan Borjan et l'Étoile Rouge de Belgrade surprennent Liverpool 2-0 en Ligue des Champions".

This isn't a CP story but I was surprise to see that on Radio Canada.

He's having an incredible Champions League, in arguably the hardest group. 

I agree, his distribution has made an incredible improvement, likely due to playing time and the coaching.

I believe he still leads all Champion League goalies in saves? That is simply an incredible stat.

Mo Salah hasn't been in the same strike rate form as last year, but anytime you make multiple saves against him, in both games!  (including a breakaway last game & a PK stop vs Mane last game), you are going to turn some heads. 

As much as I would like to see him stay the rest of the season on his childhood dream team Red Star while logging minutes and keep improving. You would need to assume there will  be some interest this coming January transfer window....will be interesting to see what happens.

Keep it up Milan!

Edited by apbsmith

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jith12 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/borjan-red-star-belgrade-can-believe-liverpool-win/

Nice to see Milan getting more coverage in Canadian media.

At first I was amazed to read in that article that the win against Liverpool was their first in the Champions League since they won the whole thing in 1991. But then I remembered that whole war thing, so I guess it makes some amount of sense. It’s an amazing stat, but explainable by terrible circumstance.

15 minutes ago, Kent said:

At first I was amazed to read in that article that the win against Liverpool was their first in the Champions League since they won the whole thing in 1991. But then I remembered that whole war thing, so I guess it makes some amount of sense. It’s an amazing stat, but explainable by terrible circumstance.

That's not true. They won games in the following European Cup campaign.

With today's loss in Champions League, Red Star are out of all European competitions for the year. Does this make a possible transfer to Borjan in January more realistic. He has shown that he is a good keeper. Might've won the league last year. Had a god run in Europe and at this point will win the league again. Not sure what more he can do for Red Star. he'd get more money and visibility in a big 5 league. Maybe mid-level Premier league? SerieA?

Anyone know what his plans might be.

52 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

With today's loss in Champions League, Red Star are out of all European competitions for the year. Does this make a possible transfer to Borjan in January more realistic. He has shown that he is a good keeper. Might've won the league last year. Had a god run in Europe and at this point will win the league again. Not sure what more he can do for Red Star. he'd get more money and visibility in a big 5 league. Maybe mid-level Premier league? SerieA?

Anyone know what his plans might be.

I can't see him leave. Goalkeeper isn't a position you can start on a new team in January. 

If he wants to get paid, his stock will likely never be higher than it is right now. He's been outstanding in the Champions League the past 3 months, playing against 3 of the best attacking sides in Europe. I guess it all depends on what is most important to him - playing or securing his family's financial future. With the right move, he can possibly do both, though.

54 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

If he wants to get paid, his stock will likely never be higher than it is right now. He's been outstanding in the Champions League the past 3 months, playing against 3 of the best attacking sides in Europe. I guess it all depends on what is most important to him - playing or securing his family's financial future. With the right move, he can possibly do both, though.

Any idea how much he makes at Red Star? He might be achieving both already for all we know.

His wife used to be the marketing director for Partizan Belgrade, in any case is well connected herself in Serbian football. So that is a question to be considered, whether perhaps they are in the ideal city for themselves as a couple. I don't know if he has kids. 

It is true that at Red Star he has European football almost ensured each year, which would inevitably mean bonuses for the players. 

I would also imagine that there are incentives that are not on any official tax registry that he benefits from.

My take on this is that he'd have to get a very solid offer to go somewhere he'd be paid significantly more, so as to justify it as a final major contract and career move. 

I can’t see him moving as I honestly think he loves playing for this team. He has more apps for Red Star than when he played for Sivasspor.

I also believe that those wishing for a move to a mid-level top 5 league are being a bit optimistic. If he were to be back uo I would see this being reasonable, but i would not want this at all

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

I can’t see him moving as I honestly think he loves playing for this team. He has more apps for Red Star than when he played for Sivasspor.

I also believe that those wishing for a move to a mid-level top 5 league are being a bit optimistic. If he were to be back uo I would see this being reasonable, but i would not want this at all

I think us fans just want our players attached to the biggest clubs whenever possible. I know I am guilty of it myself.

With Borjan though, he's honestly better off exactly where he is now.