Milan Borjan

Vince193

On 10/4/2018 at 2:55 AM, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

As a side note, there was a nice little moment near the end of the game where Borjan let out a little smile after a wonderful free kick goal by Neymar. He couldn’t help but admire the goal it seemed. He really seems to be enjoying his experience playing against the best in the world, and he doesn’t seem out of place.

Hopefully the smile was not for meeting the conditions of the bonus...

Very stupid tweet about the bonus if Red Star are being investigated. But too stupid to be legit, so I will consider it an ill-considered tongue and cheek tweet until such time as proven otherwise.

Edited by BCM

24 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Hopefully the smile was not for meeting the conditions of the bonus...

Very stupid tweet about the bonus if Red Star are being investigated. But too stupid to be legit, so I will consider it an ill-considered tongue and cheek tweet until such time as proven otherwise.

Like Borjan could have actually controlled the game by letting in goals and stopping goals... all the goals were unstoppable. Basically, whatever was stoppable, he stopped.

31 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Like Borjan could have actually controlled the game by letting in goals and stopping goals... all the goals were unstoppable. Basically, whatever was stoppable, he stopped.

He didn't even move for the last goal.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

"I got a "bonus" handed to me in a plain envelope by a shady looking guy. He said "good job letting in between 5 and 7 goals"."

Next tweet "How do you delete these things?"

Were those tweets from soon after the game? I assume they weren't from today or something.

Regardless of the tweets, I don't like the sounds of this. Even if he is innocent, the investigation is happening because they think a Red Star official placed a 5 million Euro bet. So this doesn't sound like a case of some mobsters with a few players in their pocket. This alleged match fixing could have been coming from the top, within the club. That's not a good environment to be in, even if he's clean.

Like Vince193, I wonder if maybe he was left off the Canada roster because they knew about the investigation. At the time I assumed it was a sign they intended to cap tie Busti. But now I'm a bit worried.

I don't want to crucify him with no evidence, but let's also not pretend we are immune to this sort of thing. Let's not forget the 1986 Merlion Cup, which no doubt played a role in us getting shut out in the World Cup.

Edited by Kent
My trusty fact checkers Blackdude and aloyol have corrected me. The tournament happened after the World Cup, not before it. Thanks guys.

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don't want to crucify him with no evidence, but let's also not pretend we are immune to this sort of thing. Let's not forget the 1986 Merlion Cup, which no doubt played a role in us getting shut out in the World Cup.

It didn't play a role since it happened after the World Cup.

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

Were those tweets from soon after the game? I assume they weren't from today or something.

Regardless of the tweets, I don't like the sounds of this. Even if he is innocent, the investigation is happening because they think a Red Star official placed a 5 million Euro bet. So this doesn't sound like a case of some mobsters with a few players in their pocket. This alleged match fixing could have been coming from the top, within the club. That's not a good environment to be in, even if he's clean. 

Like Vince193, I wonder if maybe he was left off the Canada roster because they knew about the investigation. At the time I assumed it was a sign they intended to cap tie Busti. But now I'm a bit worried. 

Didn't the Merlion Cup happened after the 1986 WC? I think we had our full squad in Mexico 1986 and some of our best players were suspended after the Merlion Cup.

Also, not of the same, but we were recently involved in another scandal (luckily none of our players were involved) when we played Macedonia in 2009. IIRC, the ref, from Bulgaria I think, called a high number of PK's in the game. FIFA investigated and the ref was banned.

21 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

It didn't play a role since it happened after the World Cup.

Oops! I tried to confirm that, but it's hard to find details. I should have read more thoroughly (or just looked up the 1986 World Cup roster) but didn't make the time to do it. You are right.

My point otherwise remains. We aren't immune to match fixing scandals.

4 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Come on. Do you think someone who accepted a bribe wound tweet it out?  Anyone who puts any credence in that being true isn’t really using their head. 

Not sure, but it doesn't look good on him.  Many online have latched onto the fact that he was seemingly smiling and shrugging at teammates after the 6-1 goal.  Then you go online and make a comment like that..?  If this Red Star official roped players into his scheme then SURELY as keeper Borjan was approached.. 

Let's hope he turned it down and he was low-key snitching on the official.. chances are he had knowledge so why else joke about it?

If he was involved then we have seen the last of him for Canada.. but I just really don't think that's the case.  Otherwise, this is truly insane.

Edited by Keegan

I saw that result and looked at stats and there were like 21 shots on goal, he made over a dozen saves. That was enough for me. And now this BS.

Today they had the whole game on repeat but I couldn't watch, I would have like to. 

At Red Star they have the highest salaries in Serbia, the idea that extra cash from losing to a European powerhouse would be a tempation is insulting. The real motivation, and knowing all top Balkan players, is to make a leap to a stronger league, and you do that by holding Naples, a high scoring team, scoreless at home. 

I find the whole thing upsetting and do not believe he was involved in any way, in the least.

On 10/14/2018 at 5:31 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

At Red Star they have the highest salaries in Serbia, the idea that extra cash from losing to a European powerhouse would be a tempation is insulting. The real motivation, and knowing all top Balkan players, is to make a leap to a stronger league, and you do that by holding Naples, a high scoring team, scoreless at home. 

I find the whole thing upsetting and do not believe he was involved in any way, in the least.

Good post, I do think the defending did look suspect at times, but hard to know based on the quality/talent of PSG. 

If somehow this was true, and some of the players were involved, it's important to read between the lines (the players would not have done it for the $). If the details about an active investigation started pre match regarding a 5-7 goaline, unfortunately that naturally raises some serious eyebrows and concerns. 

I do agree though, based on the number of stops Borjan made, hard to really say he had anything to do with it, if the allegations are in fact true.

Edited by apbsmith

On 10/12/2018 at 10:39 PM, Keegan said:

Not sure, but it doesn't look good on him.  Many online have latched onto the fact that he was seemingly smiling and shrugging at teammates after the 6-1 goal.  Then you go online and make a comment like that..? 

I didn't read it as anything more than a bit of gallows humour.