Milan Borjan

Vince193

After a couple days to reflect my best guess is that Borjan wasn’t involved (as people mentioned, he made lots of stops) but I wouldn’t be surprised if he knew what was going on. That could help explain the “joke” on Twitter, and maybe the smile is a begrudging acknowledgement that the dirty players had beaten him despite his valiant efforts. They got the 5 goal loss they wanted.

15 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Borjan played very well tonight, faced a ton of shots and was easily Red Star’s MOTM. As a Canadian Liverpool fan, I was hoping for a comfortable win but for Milan to play well and that’s how it turned out.  

Yes, I felt much the same. He did all he could do and could not really be faulted on the goals. The PK save was his best moment of course but he was strong throughout.  

.... and Liverpool won (and so did Barca!) :)

1 hour ago, dbailey62 said:

Yes, I felt much the same. He did all he could do and could not really be faulted on the goals. The PK save was his best moment of course but he was strong throughout.  

.... and Liverpool won (and so did Barca!) :)

He also made a quality stop on Lallana’s breakaway. It may not happen, but I’d love to see Milan get a chance in a better league.  He’s a quality keeper who could start for a mid table PL team. 

1 hour ago, Strait Red said:

He also made a quality stop on Lallana’s breakaway. It may not happen, but I’d love to see Milan get a chance in a better league.  He’s a quality keeper who could start for a mid table PL team. 

And he seems in great shape and is probably still young enough to take on a multi year contract at such a club. The exposure he got from this game sure won’t hurt.

I just watched the match, Borjan was so good out there. 

Two great breakaway saves on Salah (one offside but a save is a save), the breakaway stop at the end, and that amazing penalty save. Generally solid the rest of the game other than one weak pass that would have looked really bad if a Liverpool player got to it. Can't really fault him on any of the goals. 

I can't wait to see some more Canadians in the future playing in the Champions League. 

I just did a quick search through a Canadian Press article on the game from TSN's website. No mention of the fact that Borjan is a Canadian. Why?!?! So frustrating that these things go unnoticed and then people don't know any of our players.

It's hard to find Champions League highlights this year, so here is what I found. It's thorough (probably shows every save Borjan made) but almost unwatchably blurry. If anyone has a better link please share.

21 hours ago, Strait Red said:

A couple of the contributors on The Anfield Wrap's (one of the biggest LFC podcasts) review show suggested that Borjan might be an option for some teams in the Premier League. For no other reason than the exposure from playing in a league watched by so many in Canada, and the knock-on effect in increased respect for the CMNT, I'd love to see that.

On October 25, 2018 at 11:04 AM, Kent said:

I just did a quick search through a Canadian Press article on the game from TSN's website. No mention of the fact that Borjan is a Canadian. Why?!?! So frustrating that these things go unnoticed and then people don't know any of our players.

It's hard to find Champions League highlights this year, so here is what I found. It's thorough (probably shows every save Borjan made) but almost unwatchably blurry. If anyone has a better link please share.

Got a link to the CP story?

The video has been removed it seems.

Edited by dbailey62

4 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

Got a link to the CP story?

The video has been removed it seems.

Below is the CP story. They don’t really talk about Borjan, but there is a picture of him and his name is mentioned a couple times. One of the sentences that mentions Borjan even refers to Salah as the Egyptian, so now we all know at least one player's nationality.

https://www.tsn.ca/salah-scores-twice-as-liverpool-beats-red-star-1.1197529

• 2 weeks later...

Red Star up 2-0 on Liverpool at the half. Very impressed with Red Star offensively in this game, although their defence has looked shaky. Borjan yet to make a save as Liverpool has not hit the target yet. He has cut out a few crosses at key times. 

One thing I have noticed from Borjan this year is his distribution. I remember watching him in past years, and he has always struggled to pass out from the back. This year he has played several key short passes, and his long kicks seem to always hit the target. Really impressed, he has turned into a real quality all-round keeper, not just a shot-stopper.