Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

It will be really interesting to see how Herdman treats Atiba in the buildup Qatar.  With his age, recent injuries, and probably limited playing time in the buildup to the WC, I wonder if he still starts for us in at least a couple of games or if he will be used more as a depth player. 

Was thinking the same thing. It's a real shame for this to be the situation just before his first and last chance at a WC. Hoping for better days. He deserves it. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

While it is amazing on every level that Atiba will be representing Canada at a World Cup, if he is healthy and match fit he will most likely play significant minutes.  Herdman trusts him and he is arguably still a top player for our CMNT.  If I had to guess I think he will start 2 games and come off the bench in the other group game. Him and Staq will be base of our midfield.

16 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

While it is amazing on every level that Atiba will be representing Canada at a World Cup, if he is healthy and match fit he will most likely play significant minutes.  Herdman trusts him and he is arguably still a top player for our CMNT.  If I had to guess I think he will start 2 games and come off the bench in the other group game. Him and Staq will be base of our midfield.

Agreed. Also, he’s currently at 97 caps. If he plays in two pre-World Cup friendlies, you can bet your bottom dollar that Herdman will reward him for all he’s done for Canada by letting him lead the team out in the first World Cup match to celebrate his 100th cap.

22 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Just being in the squad at the World Cup would be amazing for Atiba I'm sure. I love Hutch but honestly at 40 I don't think he plays much. I doubt he starts any games. Maybe a second half sub appearance. 

I’m not gonna say he plays 90 minutes every game, but I think you’re underestimating his importance. He can still play at a very good level. Rightly or wrongly, the coaching staff sure thinks so based on his CB roles throughout qualifying (although in Qatar that would be a bad move). What I think his most important factor will be in that first game in particular, is his experience. We are going to be a nervous, emotional side. His calming presence and leadership will be instrumental that first game versus Belgium if things go awry or the ref is “giving them the calls” or something like that anyway.  I’d be shocked if he didn’t get the start.

3 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I’m not gonna say he plays 90 minutes every game, but I think you’re underestimating his importance. He can still play at a very good level. Rightly or wrongly, the coaching staff sure thinks so based on his CB roles throughout qualifying (although in Qatar that would be a bad move). What I think his most important factor will be in that first game in particular, is his experience. We are going to be a nervous, emotional side. His calming presence and leadership will be instrumental that first game versus Belgium if things go awry or the ref is “giving them the calls” or something like that anyway.  I’d be shocked if he didn’t get the start.

Start over Eustaquio and Osorio though? I know he is still good and that's why he's making the World Cup squad, but I'm not sure he's a starter at his age now. and watching WCQ he didn't stand out in particular either. Solid though, yes.

19 hours ago, red card said:

If you watched Arsenal yesterday, you heard this chant for Saliba for a good 20 minutes at least over 2 halves and at the end. Can easily be replaced by Atiba in Qatar.

Thats is a chant that we have already used for ATIBA in past.  Many years ago.  So it isnt new 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Start over Eustaquio and Osorio though? I know he is still good and that's why he's making the World Cup squad, but I'm not sure he's a starter at his age now. and watching WCQ he didn't stand out in particular either. Solid though, yes.

I truly think Atiba starts over him. I think we are gonna be conservative like we were against the US in Nashville. 4-5-1 and use our speed on the counter. Assuming all are healthy/in form, this is the line up I see:

David 

Davies Eustaqiuo Hutchinson Buchanan 

Adekugbe                          Laryea 

Miller Vitoria Johnston

Borjan

I see Larin, Hoilett, Osorio as our first options off of the bench for this game if we need a goal. I think Hutchinson is the veteran needed in the mids and Vitoria/Borjan for the back line 

Difficult to say how much time Atiba will play. I think it will depend on match fitness. I still think he starts over Osorio, but that could change if he doesn't get much playing time at Besiktas.

Whatever the decision, he deserves a spot on the roster and definitely still offers a high level of play, leadership and experience. Wish him the best and really rooting for him. It would be nice to celebrate 100 caps at a WC - especially at 39.

42 minutes ago, narduch said:

Not in the line up again today.

Fotmob days he's out until early September 

It will be a tragedy if he has waited this long and somehow doesn’t get to play in Qatar.  I am not one to overly emphasize the “brotherhood” to the detriment of guys who are in form and match fit but there is a unique exception I would make for Hutch.