Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

Following Turkish league has me thinking of a film I saw, Mustang, about five sisters adopted by abusive family members after their parents die. Nominated for Best Foreign film at Oscars in 2015. Set in Trabzon, but on the outskirts, in one scene some of them sneak out and hitch to the city to watch a Trabzonspor match, football being one of their outlets. I like the scene because for them it is like going to a discotheque or a party, it is just pure energy and a sense of freedom. Then of course they get into trouble for going without permission as their family member sees them on TV.

For me it is not a great movie, it is quite good, but those scenes of them fanatically following a team that has not won since the late 70s early 80s come to mind as Trabzonspor have just clinched the title (they won in 2011 but no winner was declared due to match-fixing affecting various rivals).

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Following Turkish league has me thinking of a film I saw, Mustang, about five sisters adopted by abusive family members after their parents die. Nominated for Best Foreign film at Oscars in 2015. Set in Trabzon, but on the outskirts, in one scene some of them sneak out and hitch to the city to watch a Trabzonspor match, football being one of their outlets. I like the scene because for them it is like going to a discotheque or a party, it is just pure energy and a sense of freedom. Then of course they get into trouble for going without permission as their family member sees them on TV.

For me it is not a great movie, it is quite good, but those scenes of them fanatically following a team that has not won since the late 70s early 80s come to mind as Trabzonspor have just clinched the title (they won in 2011 but no winner was declared due to match-fixing affecting various rivals).

BTW, I think they are referencing a match where only women were allowed in the stands a few years earlier, though it didn't involve Trabzon. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/sep/21/football-match-only-women-spectators

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

No new rumours so it looks like he will leave.

Beşiktaş have one match left in the season but have nothing to play for; they can no longer qualify for any European competition. :(

Why do you think he will leave? Apart from being out of contract, going year to year.

Their management clearly stated they wanted him to continue in some other role after retiring.

Do you think he is going to seek some option where he can stay playing over the summer and up to the WC, to stay game fit? 

I wonder if he'd go back to Denmark for 5 months, even at a modest salary.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The rumour mill in Turkey claims that Atiba really wants to stay and is waiting for a contract offer but none seems to be forthcoming. :(

https://www.fanatik.com.tr/amp/besiktasta-atiba-vefa-bekliyor-2283985

That would be too bad.   If it really isn’t in the cards, I wonder if another Turkish team would grab him for bargain wages. And barring that, a victory lap (or two) in MLS would at least keep him tuned up in advance of Qatar.  

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That would be too bad.   If it really isn’t in the cards, I wonder if another Turkish team would grab him for bargain wages. And barring that, a victory lap (or two) in MLS would at least keep him tuned up in advance of Qatar.  

A victory lap in Qatar could also make sense. No better way to get acclimatized to the conditions. Plus, there's virtually no travel which makes it easier on the body. 

Signing a short term deal with TFC would be a dream in some ways, but the travel and surfaces in MLS are not ideal for an older player trying to keep fit, but remain healthy and fresh at the same time. TFC also have many young promising midfielders coming through and Bradley is already playing the veteran role, so there's not really a fit there, unfortunately.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Atiba is still clearly holding out hope for a contract offer from Beşiktaş even as none appears to be coming.

The Turkish tabloids claim he has rejected offers from "home" which I assume means MLS &/or CanPL.

https://www.fanatik.com.tr/amp/son-dakika-besiktas-haberi-atibadan-tekliflere-ret-2286101

I know TFC has been interested in him, but I think money would be a factor in that deal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...