Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

13 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

literarily no one has

I was actually one of those suggesting the days of Arfield being a key player for us may be over. Glad to know I was wrong on that. 

When available, he’s definitely still a starter for us. His strong play this season has proved that.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I feel like 18 again

I like the really random fact by Neil Davidson that Jayden Nelson, who is 18, was only about 3½ months old when Atiba made his senior team debut in January 2003.
https://www.coastreporter.net/national-sports/veteran-midfielder-atiba-hutchinson-is-back-looking-to-get-canada-get-to-world-cup-3573258
https://www.canadasoccer.com/profile/?id=1550
:D

Just a reminder that this tweet still exists:

In the song they say "baba" something which means father in Turkish I believe. The father of the team?

I hope he gets the start (in midfield) tonight and at least a few minutes on Sunday (so he gets closer to breaking DeGuzman's caps record). One more cap and he will overtake Paul Stalteri.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

13 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

With all of these "links" about Canadian players being recommended by him, you have to wonder if Atiba is being groomed to eventually coach Besiktas at the end of his career. He's top 10 in caps all time, has a loyal following in Turkey, and seems to have that leadership aura about him.

That would be nice. There would be worse things than the top Canadian players having a direct pipeline to a big club in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

PVR’d the match and watched it last night.  Atiba was all over the pitch; sometimes just behind the strikers and sometimes as a bit of a right back.  It’s ridiculous how good he is at 38 playing every game in a packed schedule.  The key thing I noticed was his ball retention; I wish he was just 1% as much appreciated by Canadian sports fans as fans of the clubs he has played for.

6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

The key thing I noticed was his ball retention

A number of years ago, I forget when exactly, I was watching Canada and hadn't seen Hutch for a while, although I'm not sure if he had missed games. I kept feeling like guys were coming up from behind him with him not seeing them and he was going to lose the ball. He looked so unaware, but EVERY time he retained the ball or passed it off, because he knew, he just knew where everyone was. I was nervous the first few times, then after that I just started laughing at it because it was so good. It was like he was toying with them letting them get their hopes up, only to slam the door shut on them. I feel like it was against a Central American team, Honduras or El Salvador probably. Not bad competition.

Highlights from the game here.

His third assist was his best. Beautiful pass. The second looked like nothing, but at the 6:35 mark of the video it shows an angle where you can see him anticipate the play and start running before the defender heads the ball, and thus beat his marker to the ball. I agree with whoever said the goalkeeping on the 2nd goal was suspiciously bad. Looked like he just had to reach his arms out even just a little and he would have saved it. Maybe he thought it was going wide? Very risky though obviously if that's it.

35 minutes ago, Kent said:

A number of years ago, I forget when exactly, I was watching Canada and hadn't seen Hutch for a while, although I'm not sure if he had missed games. I kept feeling like guys were coming up from behind him with him not seeing them and he was going to lose the ball. He looked so unaware, but EVERY time he retained the ball or passed it off, because he knew, he just knew where everyone was. I was nervous the first few times, then after that I just started laughing at it because it was so good. It was like he was toying with them letting them get their hopes up, only to slam the door shut on them. I feel like it was against a Central American team, Honduras or El Salvador probably. Not bad competition.

So literally the opposite of Michael Bradley lol, I swear he has no peripheral vision.

I have a trivia question for you guys. Who has had the longest senior #CanMNT career?

With help from Richard Scott from the CSA, we got the following:

Pat Onstad
https://www.canadasoccer.com/profile/?id=2423&teamId=2078#tab2
Feb 18 1988 to May 24 2010 #CanMNT career span: 22 years 3 months

Atiba Hutchinson
https://www.canadasoccer.com/profile/?id=1550&teamId=2075#tab2
January 18 2003 to March 25 2021 (and counting!) #CanMNT career span: 18 years 2 months (and counting!)

Dwayne DeRosario
https://www.canadasoccer.com/profile/?id=893&teamId=2079#tab2
May 18 1998 to January 19 2015 #CanMNT career span: 16 years 8 months

So with Hutchinson returning to international duty last month, he managed to surpass DeRo by career length.

Any players missing from this list? Or is Hutch #2 in all-time caps and in career length too?

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

literarily

Not even sure what literarily means, tbh...  Should we ask Margaret Atwood?

🤪

Actually... weird idea for a comedy sketch that only Canadians would (maybe) understand:  Margaret Atwood as footie commentator for a soccer game between novelists and poets that takes place in the bush...

2 hours ago, shorty said:

Not even sure what literarily means, tbh...  Should we ask Margaret Atwood?

🤪

Actually... weird idea for a comedy sketch that only Canadians would (maybe) understand:  Margaret Atwood as footie commentator for a soccer game between novelists and poets that takes place in the bush...

Reminds me of the old SCTV skit, the PBS Olympics and that classic boxing match between Julia Child and Mr. Rogers.  Now that was great TV!

• 2 weeks later...

Although Besiktas won today, Atiba didn't play because he seems to have aggravated or injured something on his left side (hip/leg?).

Some sort of repetitive stress thing from multiple games?

(Google translate doesn't always work 100% with Turkish to English)

https://bjk.com.tr/tr/haber/80923/atiba-hutchinsonin-saglik-durumu-hakkinda-bilgilendirme.html