Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

6 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I don't think an MLS team really needs to win this competition to prove anything... I mean, just the fact that they are competitive, despite a spending cap, and less overall depth that their Mexican counter parts, says quite a bit. Sure it would be nice if an MLS team won it, but IMO it wouldn't mean as much today as it would have, say, 5-10 years ago.... and lets be honest, we'd all rather see a CPL team win this before any MLS team ever does 😅

I kind of disagree with you Leo I think it is important for MLS  to win CCL  it will give it some international exposure. But ya it would be cool for a CPL team to win it before MLS

4 hours ago, Big_M said:

LAFC need to get bob bradley out...hes had three full seasons and just not getting the most of this team...always falling way short in mls playoffs...very weak player management and way too stubborn...stands 85 minutes with his arms crossed then when down scrambles to his assistant wondering what to do...time to go

Probably the best coached team in MLS. No one plays like they did the first half and up to the goal. 

There are a lot of coaches like this, their talent gets them to where they get, and their lapses make the difference when it comes to going further. When it was 1-1 it looked like they were losing when they still had it all in their favour, he did not adjust properly. For me taking off Cifuentes was a bad call, and Ginella did nothing. But more than that he did not adjust. And it is not due to age, that Mexican coached looked even older but had his head in it the whole way through.

^Ginella did the Patrick Metcalfe "ole" on the RB doing the dribble leading up to the winner and didn't have any positive influence.  Rossi finished Kaye's service in style but otherwise you'd be hard pressed to convince me that he's a league mvp finalist based on his recent overall performances.  

I thought Kaye made a very good account of himself, bar the early second half hospital pass he telegraphed to Vela leading to a solid collision with the onrushing CB.

18 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

In the last 5-10 minutes it was pretty much all Tigres.  LA look tired and Tigres are still swarming them. LA was pressing constantly at the start of the game - I would say they are paying the price now. 

This happens all the time. It's more pronounced in games in Mexico. The MLS team comes out flying, looking great, meanwhile the Mexicans seem to just be playing rope-a-dope, conserving their energy. You can't sprint for a full 90, even less so in altitude or extreme heat. Time and time again Mexican teams score goals late in the game to get the result they need, when the MLS team is tired and just trying to hang on.

I'm sorry for Kaye not winning, but I was cheering for Tigres last night as well. I used to cheer for MLS teams in CCL, but the competition makes it clear that there is a difference between Canadian MLS teams and American MLS teams. Plus, MLS is at a place now where I no longer fear for its survival. The same couldn't be said 8 to 10 years ago. If/when an MLS team wins it, I want it to be TFC, or failing that, a Canadian team. And of course, I'd love for a CPL team to win it. I do cheer for CPL teams against international competition (or even Canadian MLS competition) since I am still worried about its survival and I want it to gain higher exposure.

P.S. I was convinced the Tigres goalie was going to pull a Triston Henry and gift LAFC a goal. So close to getting the ball stripped a couple times.

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Probably the best coached team in MLS. No one plays like they did the first half and up to the goal. 

There are a lot of coaches like this, their talent gets them to where they get, and their lapses make the difference when it comes to going further. When it was 1-1 it looked like they were losing when they still had it all in their favour, he did not adjust properly. For me taking off Cifuentes was a bad call, and Ginella did nothing. But more than that he did not adjust. And it is not due to age, that Mexican coached looked even older but had his head in it the whole way through.

it's not that Bob Bradley didn't try to adjust, he just didn't have any players left that he could throw on. He had mostly defenders, and couple of kids as attackers on the bench. 

The biggest difference maker between a Liga MX team vs a MLS team is the depth. Perhaps the story might have been different if Bradley Wright-Phillips chose to play for LAFC till end of CCL (like Jakovic) instead of hanging out looking for a new club.

Up 1-0 with 20 to go and their shaky defense defensive help is precisely whats needed..should have put someone like jakovic in and didnt..result is clear..as for bwp its another case of bad player management..gave them 9 and 6 overall this season and bradley kept pulling him out including at half time in the playoff game...and then they decline his option so message was clear...bye bye he goes to the champs

• 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

In the Galindo-Nef podcast it is mentioned that Kaye is being monitored by championship clubs. I’d imagine a move happens now or never.

Yeah I caught that too (and it was a great podcast, by the way).

Funny because I haven't heard any of those rumors. I wonder where they are coming from?

Carrying on the MAK and TFC convo per other thread. An interesting quote:

"Arriving late to LAFC training camp ahead of the club’s inaugural season left Kaye in a position where he had to take in information quickly, and he was tested at different positions, including center-mid, left-wing and left-back."

Per: https://sbisoccer.com/2020/06/sbi-spotlight-mark-anthony-kaye-has-unfinished-business-with-lafc

In Bradley interviews about MAK that year it seems the following resulted in his career taking a turn for the better:

1. Gold cup and MDS put MAK on LAFC radar

2. He was tried out in lots of spots (per above) but landed his start in midfield due to injuries - though he played so well he kept his spot

3. MAK mentions in early interviews how much he credits learnings from Bradley that enabled him to hold down a starting spot 

Seems like equal parts, talent, effort, coaching, and luck were required. So did TFC not have the right coach(es) or too much depth, or was it really a matter of late blooming.. 

Edited by saintjoes

1 hour ago, saintjoes said:

Carrying on the MAK and TFC convo per other thread. An interesting quote:

"Arriving late to LAFC training camp ahead of the club’s inaugural season left Kaye in a position where he had to take in information quickly, and he was tested at different positions, including center-mid, left-wing and left-back."

Per: https://sbisoccer.com/2020/06/sbi-spotlight-mark-anthony-kaye-has-unfinished-business-with-lafc

In Bradley interviews about MAK that year it seems the following resulted in his career taking a turn for the better:

1. Gold cup and MDS put MAK on LAFC radar

2. He was tried out in lots of spots (per above) but landed his start in midfield due to injuries - though he played so well he kept his spot

3. MAK mentions in early interviews how much he credits learnings from Bradley that enabled him to hold down a starting spot 

Seems like equal parts, talent, effort, coaching, and luck were required. So did TFC not have the right coach(es) or too much depth, or was it really a matter of late blooming.. 

I made the comment just to show that TFC can be better and should be, but also to show that there is a sort of pipeline and talent identification system in Ontario that is working very well. Kaye himself has said he needed the kick in the teeth, and if were being real Greg Vanney saved Laryea’s career. My whole point was to say that if TFC figures it out, they can match that XI in no time given their resources and facilities but they need to do better. I really mean it they can have a TFC 2 that is as good as NY Red Bulls 2. 

16 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I made the comment just to show that TFC can be better and should be, but also to show that there is a sort of pipeline and talent identification system in Ontario that is working very well. Kaye himself has said he needed the kick in the teeth, and if were being real Greg Vanney saved Laryea’s career. My whole point was to say that if TFC figures it out, they can match that XI in no time given their resources and facilities but they need to do better. I really mean it they can have a TFC 2 that is as good as NY Red Bulls 2. 

Oh crap so I should've forked it into a few other threads it seems lol 😆 

I fully support your point that TFC could become a powerhouse of Cancon.. and I truly think upon why our MLS clubs haven't focused on that more. I actually think the whitecaps and impact have quietly caught on to this lately - for example VWFC have an org metric to have x players of CANMNT starting 11 be 'caps players. Can you imagine if TFC set a homegrown minutes metric for Armas?? We all hope he'll play homegrowns for other reasons but when push comes to shove having metrics drives real outcomes and provides the coach cover for when they need to decide between a homegrown and a tam player who is maybe similar but for political or player management make it less likely the homegrown gets in. I actually think the CPL woke up fans in Canada that it still is possible to have Canadian sports teams be for Canadians! Crazy idea eh. Most assumed we just need to 'accept' that our NHL teams will be all other national team players and that it's wrong to want otherwise. Unfortunately I still feel TFC is run by folks used to apathetic North American sports fans of other sports - I mean it did always surprise me that the Leafs didn't care where their players were from while my Habs DID care (at least a little) and unapologetically so. 

Edited by saintjoes

5 minutes ago, saintjoes said:

Oh crap so I should've forked it into a few other threads it seems lol 😆 

I fully support your point that TFC could become a powerhouse of Cancon.. and I truly think upon why our MLS clubs haven't focused on that more. I actually think the whitecaps and impact have quietly caught on to this lately - for example VWFC have an org metric to have x players of CANMNT starting 11 be 'caps players. Can you imagine if TFC set a homegrown minutes metric for Armas?? We all hope he'll play homegrowns for other reasons but when push comes to shove having metrics drives real outcomes and provides the coach cover for when they need to decide between a homegrown and a tam player who is maybe similar but for political or player management make it less likely the homegrown gets in. I actually think the CPL woke up fans in Canada that it still is possible to have Canadian sports teams be for Canadians! Crazy idea eh. Most assumed we just need to 'accept' that our NHL teams will be all foreign players and that it's wrong to want otherwise. Unfortunately I still feel TFC is run by folks used to apathetic North American sports fans of other sports - I mean it did always surprise me that the Leafs didn't care where their players were from while my Habs DID care (at least a little) and unapologetically so. 

Vancouver invested heavily in their academy and it got them Davies who would them a nice amount. Thomas Hasal is the next to go for a fee, and they actually turn one down. Habibullah and Pecile and Facchinieri had options, they have more talent coming. 

Montreal aswell is trying to buy and sell young players, I do believe you’ll see some players sold in the coming seasons and it’s a matter of time until they find another Ballou, so much talent there.

there is a mandate at TFC to play the kids and win with them, it’s why Vanney left and why they chose Armas. I’d imagine there’s an internal rule to use the most kid possible because Rutty could go for a big amount.

in the Can PL you’ll see Pacific make a nice amount in the coming years they invested heavily in their community and kind of have an academy and they really play the kids. They dropped the all BC thing but they’ll churn them out.

I believe the Cavalry are going to sign more young players from foothills and we saw they had Pepple, and to be fair Edmonton seems to be looking more at their kids and let’s be real Davies could have very well played for them.

I'm a bit surprised nobody came up with this yet, but MAK was named the best CM in MLS by Extratime : https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/03/14/extratime-ranks-top-5-central-midfielders-mls

I'm really not knowledgeable enough to debate this, but it seems like a bit of a stretch to me to claim he's the best MLS CM at the moment. I'm curious to read what everyone thinks. 

Anyways, that's nice to see him named there !

15 minutes ago, Oli said:

I'm a bit surprised nobody came up with this yet, but MAK was named the best CM in MLS by Extratime : https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/03/14/extratime-ranks-top-5-central-midfielders-mls

I'm really not knowledgeable enough to debate this, but it seems like a bit of a stretch to me to claim he's the best MLS CM at the moment. I'm curious to read what everyone thinks. 

Anyways, that's nice to see him named there !

I did notice that a few days ago and was surprised as well.  And if he was on there, why was Osorio not top 5 or even an honorable mention? I would consider him just as good, if not better.  That is, if they consider Oso a CM.

Of further note, Richie Laryea and Tajon Buchanon were honorable mentions for top 5 outside backs in MLS.