Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

47 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

In his most recent presser, Bradley the Elder clearly feels the team's poor performances have to do with some guys  being "mentally just not where they need to be."

C'mon Axel!  The time is right!  Get Johnny Thorrington on Zoom now!  Throw Godoy into the deal (I think he is malingering) I suggested with Teibert and Al O'cation to get Kaye.  They get CB help (the Argie will make a miraculous recovery, just watch!) and the Caps get a play maker back in Canada!

This would be bad for Kaye because he goes to a less talented team. It would be bad for Teibert because he would get to play less, and it will be bad for Jakovic because he would also get to play less.

Bad for Kaye, bad for Teibert, bad for Jakovic. Bad for Canada, but good for Vancouver I suppose.

21 hours ago, Obinna said:

This would be bad for Kaye because he goes to a less talented team. It would be bad for Teibert because he would get to play less, and it will be bad for Jakovic because he would also get to play less.

Bad for Kaye, bad for Teibert, bad for Jakovic. Bad for Canada, but good for Vancouver I suppose.

Even if my wild mock trade didn't happen, Jakovic will likely be playing less.  I can't see LAFC standing pat with their defensive personnel (including keeper).  Teibert is tied with others for 24th on the depth chart for my 23 NT man roster, unless we have a central midfield absentee crisis, but it looks like we may not be playing any WCQ in October, anyways.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/09/06/red-card-mark-anthony-kaye-lafc-53rd-minute%3famp

The red card is uncharacteristic, as is the recent run of poor form. Bradley's continued to show faith him and stuck with him as captain, which is some consolation.

I can't help but think that this is a guy completely disillusioned with the States at the moment, a guy with a deep conscience and the heart of a social activist, and it's affecting his play in a game that may feel decidedly secondary at the moment.

36 minutes ago, nolando said:

I can't help but think that this is a guy completely disillusioned with the States at the moment, a guy with a deep conscience and the heart of a social activist, and it's affecting his play in a game that may feel decidedly secondary at the moment.

I think you might have something there—and they are the same qualities that make him captain material. Some players you admire for their skill but would never hang out with them as people. MAK seems solid through and through. I hope he finds a good situation or a good way forward. He seemed to be having a decent if not spectacular game up to this point. The foul definitely falls into the “distracted/frustrated” category as did LAFC’s non-finishing. 

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Don't forget or underestimate the absence of Atuesta.  He complements Kaye's play really well.  I have also watched matches where Kaye has been absent from the starting line up and the young Colombian wasn't effective. 

This is why I am excited to see him paired with Eustaquo. He seems to be a very similar player to Atuesta, so I think him and Kaye would complement each other nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, yomurphy1 said:

What about the idea of him playing left back for the Nats? We have a lot of strength in midfield, he's smart and good on the ball, and I think he played okay when he played for Canada (once if I remember correctly)?

We have enough left backs to play that position. We don't need to play Kaye out of position.

8 hours ago, VinceA said:

We have enough left backs to play that position. We don't need to play Kaye out of position.

But is Kaye as starter in your midfield is everyone healthy? I don't think he starts over Arfield and Eustaquio, Hutchinson if he's around, and is a toss up with Piette/Osorio. Let alone if we ever decide to play David in a withdrawn position.

But is Kaye as starter in your midfield is everyone healthy? I don't think he starts over Arfield and Eustaquio, Hutchinson if he's around, and is a toss up with Piette/Osorio. Let alone if we ever decide to play David in a withdrawn position.

Nothing wrong with having quality on the bench. When you bring on subs you want them to make a difference.  

Qualifying will be a long process. There will always be cards and injuries.  Every cycle, it seems our "subs" are the ones that end up starting the deciding games.  Kaye will have a big role to play whether he starts at first or not.

Whether he's a starter will depend on the shape of the midfield and availability of the other players, but Eustaquio is still somewhat of an unknown, Hutchinson is 37, Arfield appears to be in decline or at least being given a diminished role at his club, and I'd rate Kaye ahead of Osorio or Piette (unless we're talking about a pure destroyer role in which case I'd have Piette slightly ahead).

If we are fielding a defensive lineup there are better options for left back. If we want to maximize attack then Davies can play there.

Edited by jonovision

On 9/19/2020 at 11:56 AM, VinceA said:

Once again, people forget Osorio is one of Herdman's favourites, and has earned his XI place. He will always start on a full strength XI.

Osorio is an important part of CANMNT, and will play an important part in qualifying for Qatar, but to say he's in the strongest 11 *today* is a stretch.  His direct competition for a starting role is obviously Arfield.  Highly unlikely our strongest 11 features both of them.  Maybe we'll change that in 2022 when Arfield has 2 more years in him, but today Arfield is still the better player who is playing regularly on a better team, and has also achieved way more in his career.  Osorio in his prime or not would never and will never see the field on a PL team. 

13 hours ago, costarg said:

Osorio is an important part of CANMNT, and will play an important part in qualifying for Qatar, but to say he's in the strongest 11 *today* is a stretch.  His direct competition for a starting role is obviously Arfield.  Highly unlikely our strongest 11 features both of them.  Maybe we'll change that in 2022 when Arfield has 2 more years in him, but today Arfield is still the better player who is playing regularly on a better team, and has also achieved way more in his career.  Osorio in his prime or not would never and will never see the field on a PL team. 

Not sure I’d say it’s highly unlikely that they start together. They’ve started together in many key games for us in the recent past. Sure, Eustaquio may steal one of their jobs sometimes but I don’t think that is a sure thing either. And Kaye isn’t in the best form recently. Until I see Herdman do something else, I’d expect Osorio and Arfield to start together regularly.

There isn't a one size fits all 11 for CANMNT, we don't go into a game vs the big three with the same 11 we go vs Martinique.

I see Kaye and Eustaquio as very different players to Osorio and Arfield.  Osorio and Arfield both have a little more attacking profiles vs Kaye and Eustaquio which are more solid on the defensive side.

Pretty sure we line up with two defensive mids vs USA, Mexico and Costa Rica.  Where as vs the minnows we play all-offence, including wingers playing at LB and RB.

38 minutes ago, costarg said:

There isn't a one size fits all 11 for CANMNT, we don't go into a game vs the big three with the same 11 we go vs Martinique.

I see Kaye and Eustaquio as very different players to Osorio and Arfield.  Osorio and Arfield both have a little more attacking profiles vs Kaye and Eustaquio which are more solid on the defensive side.

Pretty sure we line up with two defensive mids vs USA, Mexico and Costa Rica.  Where as vs the minnows we play all-offence, including wingers playing at LB and RB.

Understand the logic behind this post but Osorio & Arfield both started both games vs USA last fall.  It worked out well in the first game but not so well away in USA.  We looked better towards the end of the 2nd game once we put in another defensive midfielder in Eustaquio.

• 3 weeks later...