Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

4 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I did notice that a few days ago and was surprised as well.  And if he was on there, why was Osorio not top 5 or even an honorable mention? I would consider him just as good, if not better.  That is, if they consider Oso a CM.

Of further note, Richie Laryea and Tajon Buchanon were honorable mentions for top 5 outside backs in MLS.

They love certain players, to be fair Kaye has been top since his arrival I’m not surprised they named him. Osorio is definitely also top 10 at peak, I would have liked to have seen both move up a level.

they’ve made some head scratching picks (Americans) but it’s not a bad list.

27 minutes ago, Oli said:

I'm a bit surprised nobody came up with this yet, but MAK was named the best CM in MLS by Extratime : https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/03/14/extratime-ranks-top-5-central-midfielders-mls

I'm really not knowledgeable enough to debate this, but it seems like a bit of a stretch to me to claim he's the best MLS CM at the moment. I'm curious to read what everyone thinks. 

Anyways, that's nice to see him named there !

Is he even the best CM on his team?? Atuesta seems to be just as good, if not better, and isn't on the list which I found odd.

22 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I did notice that a few days ago and was surprised as well.  And if he was on there, why was Osorio not top 5 or even an honorable mention? I would consider him just as good, if not better.  That is, if they consider Oso a CM.

I am not sure what his terms of reference are.  Williamson is more of a partner to Chara in the duo holding mid set up in Portland, playing in support of the creative offensive keys (Valeri, recovering-from-ACL tear Blanco).  He and Kaye would have different roles, as would Osorio, who to me is more a strong linking mid as opposed to a focal point creator of incisive passes.  

Well, he did get me with his click bait.

6 hours ago, Ivan said:

And if he was on there, why was Osorio not top 5 or even an honorable mention?

This reminds me of one time when I complimented a girlfriend on her boobs and she asked why I didn't also compliment her butt.  I didn't stay with her very long after that.

Take the compliment and move on.

7 hours ago, Ivan said:

Of further note, Richie Laryea and Tajon Buchanon were honorable mentions for top 5 outside backs in MLS.

If you click the link Osorio is an honourable mention. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What kind of form is Kaye in lately? Seems like he’s been playing 90 min pretty consistently, but chatter about him on this board has been non-existent. When in form, he’s still a great player, and we’re probably going to need him to step up in a big way with Arfield and Hutch out this window.

8 minutes ago, archer21 said:

What kind of form is Kaye in lately? Seems like he’s been playing 90 min pretty consistently, but chatter about him on this board has been non-existent. When in form, he’s still a great player, and we’re probably going to need him to step up in a big way with Arfield and Hutch out this window.

Probably just one of those kind of fans but someone in the replies to the tweet from LAFC concerning Kaye's callup was excited at the possibility of him missing games.

15 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Probably just one of those kind of fans but someone in the replies to the tweet from LAFC concerning Kaye's callup was excited at the possibility of him missing games.

LAFC fans in general seem to really dislike Mak. Part of it is he has become their whipping boy and there is a pile-on, which is generally unfair. Another part of it is he has really regressed from two years ago (as I mentioned a few pages back on this thread). So many backbreaking turnovers and terrible decisions. He’s their version of Doneil Henry. I personally would not feel comfortable starting MAK besides Eustaqiuo in a crucial match - even without arfield or Atiba I would go with piette over him but Herdman might think differently.

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

LAFC fans in general seem to really dislike Mak. Part of it is he has become their whipping boy and there is a pile-on, which is generally unfair. Another part of it is he has really regressed from two years ago (as I mentioned a few pages back on this thread). So many backbreaking turnovers and terrible decisions. He’s their version of Doneil Henry. I personally would not feel comfortable starting MAK besides Eustaqiuo in a crucial match - even without arfield or Atiba I would go with piette over him but Herdman might think differently.

That's a very valid point. I think 2 DMs vs Suriname with Eustaquio and Piette is a very strong possibility. 

Mak is class when he is in form, but many forget our big win vs the US he only played ~10 mins before Fraser took over. 

Will definitely be interesting to see what the gaffer decides. (For the record, not calling for Fraser to start). 

1 minute ago, gator said:

I have never seen MAK in his best form because I don't watch MLS not involving Canadian teams often, I think presently I would feel more comfortable with Wotherspoon or maybe Piette in that role!

I forgot about Spooner! Thx. That's a very good point, he's has quite the solid season from what I've been told. 

1 minute ago, gator said:

I have never seen MAK in his best form because I don't watch MLS not involving Canadian teams often, I think presently I would feel more comfortable with Wotherspoon or maybe Piette in that role!

HEHE, not to be a smart ass, but have you watched Wotherspoon at his best?  I think i have only seen a few highlights and clips.  Same with Kennedy.  We take a lot of stuff on faith, lol.  

MAK isnt the hot young thing (like Davies wasnt the hot new thing at Bayern last year), but they are both still stating at very good clubs, maybe just no the BUZZ from fans.  Bbut he still makes some very smart, incisive passes to spring the forwards that I dont see Piette making.  Just depends on what Herdmans plans are, mix and match those guys for the given situation.  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

HEHE, not to be a smart ass, but have you watched Wotherspoon at his best?  I think i have only seen a few highlights and clips.  Same with Kennedy.  We take a lot of stuff on faith, lol.  

MAK isnt the hot young thing (like Davies wasnt the hot new thing at Bayern last year), but they are both still stating at very good clubs, maybe just no the BUZZ from fans.  Bbut he still makes some very smart, incisive passes to spring the forwards that I dont see Piette making.  Just depends on what Herdmans plans are, mix and match those guys for the given situation.  

It is a small sample size but I saw most of both cups Wotherspoon played in and won as well as his last involvement in WCQ with our CMNT and highlights of other SPL matches usually vs the Old Firm!

If Osorio is fit I think we go with a midfield 3 of him, Eustaquio and Piette. Remember, we can draw against Suriname, but we can't lose, so we need to be solid. Kaye has some good qualities, but he does have that odd turnover in him. I trust those other 3 to be more responsible with the ball. Let the wingers (Davies, Buchanan, Hoilett, Laryea, Corbeanu) generate the offense and keep a clean sheet. That's all we need.

Looking at the highlights from yesterday's game, he setup the opening goal for LAFC (no assist due to a deflection) but also gave the ball away on the tying goal. He has a 5.5 rating from whoscored. That's the lowest of any player in the game. Not very encouraging.

I think I’ve mentioned a few times that I haven’t really been a fan of Kaye with the national team for some reason, I think after looking at our recent results with him in bigger games shows why. 

Gold cup 2019 - 3-1 loss to Mexico with Kaye playing 90. Though it was a weaker lineup to be fair. 

3-2 loss to Haiti - We were up 2-1, he subs in, and just over 10 minutes later we concede two. 

2-0 win vs USA - he got injured  early in the first half but we went on to win with Fraser slotting in.

4-1 loss to USA - can’t find when he subbed out but he started this game and we were down by 3 when he was on the field iirc. 

Obviously it’s a small sample size though. 

It seems like a situation where he is getting complacent since he is one of Bob Bradley's guys. 

I've seen no links with him moving abroad since those rumours a couple of years ago and LAFC as a whole have generally been an underperforming teams when it counts.

Kaye has said the reason he didn't pan out at TFC was partly due to his own attitude so I hope he's self aware to know he needs to improve before LAFC decide they want someone else in midfield. 

27 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I think I’ve mentioned a few times that I haven’t really been a fan of Kaye with the national team for some reason, I think after looking at our recent results with him in bigger games shows why. 

Gold cup 2019 - 3-1 loss to Mexico with Kaye playing 90. Though it was a weaker lineup to be fair. 

3-2 loss to Haiti - We were up 2-1, he subs in, and just over 10 minutes later we concede two. 

2-0 win vs USA - he got injured  early in the first half but we went on to win with Fraser slotting in.

4-1 loss to USA - can’t find when he subbed out but he started this game and we were down by 3 when he was on the field iirc. 

Obviously it’s a small sample size though. 

Also, despite notching a brace, he was our worst player vs Cayman Islands. 

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Also, despite notching a brace, he was our worst player vs Cayman Islands. 

Yes. Sloppy all over and a missed penalty which he claimed for himself. I was hoping that was just pre season rust but sounds like he may still not have shaken it off. Or maybe it’s not rust…