Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

1 hour ago, Addona said:

Geez ... everyone is ready to kick MAK to the curb all of a sudden!  We could do much, much worse than MAK, especially with Hutch and Arfield not there ... whether Herdman starts him or Piette is up to the coach, but I’d be comfortable with MAK in the starting lineup!

Agreed, this escalated pretty fast.  Kaye has been streaky at times in his career but so have most of our players.  The whole LAFC team has struggled, so its not surprising some of their fans are frustrated with Kaye.  Plenty of Lille fans thought David was a chump until Christmas or so.  Coaches and analysts seem to rate him highly and I think he's quite capable of having a great game for us, in fact his box to box ability might be exactly what's needed against Suriname in a game that might have considerable back and forth flow to it.

MAK started against Haiti and was subbed off before the goals IIRC

6 hours ago, Bdog said:

I think I’ve mentioned a few times that I haven’t really been a fan of Kaye with the national team for some reason, I think after looking at our recent results with him in bigger games shows why. 

Gold cup 2019 - 3-1 loss to Mexico with Kaye playing 90. Though it was a weaker lineup to be fair. 

3-2 loss to Haiti - We were up 2-1, he subs in, and just over 10 minutes later we concede two. 

2-0 win vs USA - he got injured  early in the first half but we went on to win with Fraser slotting in.

4-1 loss to USA - can’t find when he subbed out but he started this game and we were down by 3 when he was on the field iirc. 

Obviously it’s a small sample size though. 

• 2 weeks later...

MAK thread deserves to be bumped considering his contributions against Aruba, Suriname, and now Haiti.  When he's playing within himself and not committing turnovers he brings a component to this midfield no one else does.  That vision and ability to split the lines is truly special.  Pass to Osorio to set up Larin was a case on point - pass was on the way before Osorio even realized how open he was.  

The test will be when he's under more pressure against teams that really press well.  I think it helps having Eustaquio always there as a safe outlet.

5 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

I think he gets too much heat when he’s bad and not enough credit when he’s good. And when he’s been good for LAFC, he’s been really, really good. Just off to a bit of a meddling start this year.

I don’t think he’s even been bad for LAFC. I’ve read LAFC fan posts before and it seems most fans just started following the sport. 

1 minute ago, PiedPilko said:

I think he's the type of player to try a lot of things, even if he winds up giving the ball away some of the time. He wouldn't get as much hate as he does if he were a little more conservative, but he creates a lot too. 

The funny thing is, for years we've complained about Canadian teams being too conservative, toothless in attack, playing it safe, passing the ball back too easily, etc.  And then you get a guy who's willing to take a few risks for those potentially game-breaking rewards,and we're like, ok MAK, what we really need you to do is play it safe 😁

Kaye  has a great eye for that slide rule through ball to a smart running forward.  Sometimes they go, sometimes they get nicked away by a good defensive play (but the analytics-without-context warriors harp about the low percentage accuracy number).  Just have to be selective in where and when you are able to pull off the higher risk passes.

9 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

MAK thread deserves to be bumped considering his contributions against Aruba, Suriname, and now Haiti.  When he's playing within himself and not committing turnovers he brings a component to this midfield no one else does.  That vision and ability to split the lines is truly special.  Pass to Osorio to set up Larin was a case on point - pass was on the way before Osorio even realized how open he was.  

The test will be when he's under more pressure against teams that really press well.  I think it helps having Eustaquio always there as a safe outlet.

it seems Eustaquio and Kaye play best when they both start together, it lets Eustaquio drop a bit deeper and direct everything from there.