Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

35 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Kone is out with a knee injury so won't be him. Maybe they bring in Liam Fraser, though he has not played in some time. Most likely is that Piette & Hoilett get more playing time than would have been the case if Osorio had been there.

At the moment, with only 2 games scheduled for this window, it could be that they don't call anybody in.

That sounds like what Herdman will do.

Could they not replace him with someone from Vancouver Whitecaps?  Maybe Teibert is past his prime and Baldisimo hasn't been great this season.  But Raposo has had a decent year.  Gutierrez is starting to play again (not a like for like swap but still).  I just don't see the harm in bringing someone who is already local to train in Vancouver with the program for the week.  Okay, fine.  You don't need to bring the extra player to Honduras but wouldn't it be great to integrate some players into the camp.  Worst case scenario, the player gets to experience a rare Canada camp and perhaps isn't so quick to jump at another country when they come calling.  With 1) our youth programs the way they are, 2) the shortest international rosters out there 3) never bringing in injury replacements.  It's almost like we are inadvertently pushing players away from our program.

I'm sorry but you can't tell me that Gutierrez is bad for the "brotherhood" when he's been there several times before.  And I can't imagine either Baldisimo or Raposo training for a week in Vancouver is going to disrupt the "brotherhood".  And, I don't think any of those players should be seeing playing time but in a 2 match window there are likely going to be a couple players that don't see the field.

Edited by Corazon

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TOCanada115 said:

If he keeps this up the rest of the season, he’s a lock starter with Eustaquio in our midfield. I think we’ve looked our best with those 2 running the middle of the park. 

The dude is a big game player as well, so if there’s a must win/get result game, it’s him on want out there. 

I worry about the defensive abilities of that midfield against a stronger opponent where Canada are likely to be absorbing pressure for most of the match.

Barring any huge dip in form, Osorio is pretty much a lock to start for in midfield  IMO.  MLS or not, he is always effective for Canada and I find him pretty balanced in attack/defence (despite being more of an attacking mid).  

EDIT - maybe. It in all 3 matches of the opening round but at least a couple of them. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

32 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Barring any huge dip in form, Osorio is pretty much a lock to start for in midfield  IMO.  MLS or not, he is always effective for Canada and I find him pretty balanced in attack/defence (despite being more of an attacking mid).  

EDIT - maybe. It in all 3 matches of the opening round but at least a couple of them. 

If we're playing a 2 man midfield, it's likely Hutch and Eustaquio.  I could see him spelling Hutch for some games though or being the 3rd CM depending on formation.

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

I worry about the defensive abilities of that midfield against a stronger opponent where Canada are likely to be absorbing pressure for most of the match.

Agreed, and the defensive side of things has got to be our biggest concern considering our CB situation.  We're gonna need someone to bust up and break Belgium and Croatia's passes.  Given Hutch's age, I'd have to go with Piette at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Something to bear in mind with the MLS statistics compilers, Osorio gets an assist on Kerr's goal even though it was case of handing him the ball and Kerr makes a 30 yard run and does it all by himself. Kerr however gets no assist on Osorio's goal because a SJ player touched it, but it was far more "assist-worthy" IMO in that it was a playmaker's play to try to put Oso through which ultimately paid off.

22 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Something to bear in mind with the MLS statistics compilers, Osorio gets an assist on Kerr's goal even though it was case of handing him the ball and Kerr makes a 30 yard run and does it all by himself. Kerr however gets no assist on Osorio's goal because a SJ player touched it, but it was far more "assist-worthy" IMO in that it was a playmaker's play to try to put Oso through which ultimately paid off.

That's why you need to see the context of the play.  Giovinco got a lot of his teammates cheap assists during his apex doing what Kerr did tonight.