Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

Olympiacos seems like the right level for Osorio to experience Europe and make an impact. He'll get continential games against some other big clubs and domestically he would win silverware. Meanwhile, he's good enough to play regularly there and is less likely to get pushed out by young players, which may be more likely in Belgium or Holland for instance. I like this and hope it happens.

Edit: There's no Olympiacos rumor, it's Panathinaikos 

Edited by Obinna

Seems like a decent move.  Not a great move.  This club is currently the top club Greece from what I can tell,   they have played in the last 16 (or higher) in UCL about a dozen times in the last 50 years.  The Greek league ranks better than I thought if you go by the UEFA coefficient,  they surpassed Belgium this year and are much higher than the Turkish league.  League doesnt seem to get much visibility abroad so its going to be very hard to follow his progress there.   We had a player (a prospect) in that league (AEK) once and it was hard to get on-line info (and reading material) due to language and different alphabet.  Then again,  I dont think that "Google translate" was around at the time that Stathis Kappos played there 🙂

Edited by Free kick

6 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Seems like a decent move.  Not a great move.  This club is currently the top club Greece from what I can tell,   they have played in the last 16 in UCL about a dozen times in the last 50 years.  The Greek league ranks better than I thought if you go by the UEFA coefficient,  they surpassed Belgium this year and are much higher than the Turkish league.  League doesnt seem to get much visibility abroad so its going to be very hard to follow his progress there.   We had a player (a prospect) in that league (AEK) once and it was hard to get on-line info (and reading material) due to language and different alphabet.  Then again,  I dont think that "Google translate" was around at the time that Stathis Kappos played there 

Derek Cornelius currently plays there and we seem to get semi-regular updates about him.  I think this would be a good move for Osorio.

Also, if this league is so good, maybe there should be a bit more hype around Cornelius.  I didn't know it was ranked so high.

Reading this news reminded me of former Impact head coach John Limniatis, who played in Ottawa in the early days of the CSL then transferred to a Greek club. According to his Wikipedia entry, Limniatis "...became the 1st ever Canadian to be sold to a European 1st division team..." I was not aware of that.

Good luck to Osorio if this happens.

Edited by Treppy2

10 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Derek Cornelius currently plays there and we seem to get semi-regular updates about him.  I think this would be a good move for Osorio.

Also, if this league is so good, maybe there should be a bit more hype around Cornelius.  I didn't know it was ranked so high.

Thanks!    Brain cramp on my part.  I forgot about Cornelius

Edit.:  its just two spots lower than Belgium accoding to this rank

Country coefficients | UEFA Coefficients | UEFA.com

Its ranked higher according to this rank

Season country coefficients | UEFA Coefficients | UEFA.com

Edited by Free kick

It's a good move, I hope he takes it, and I hope he goes pre-World Cup so he can get more games in, since Toronto's season is nearly done. For a guy who is in the latter half of his prime, I think a top Greek team is perfect- he shouldn't be chasing minutes off the bench in a better league, and beyond how it impacts our NT, I just think that a guy who has played his entire soccer career in Toronto, the chance to get a shot at playing in Europe is just awesome. If it doesn't work out for him, I'm sure TFC would welcome him back with open arms.

51 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I looked at the league coefficents recently and Serbia was also ranked fairly highly, despite the general consensus that it's not very strong, so I think we need to keep in mind that outside of the top 5, and maybe leagues like Portugal or the Netherlands, the leagues get pretty comparable as you move down the ladder. Therefore, I don't think we need to hype Cornelius anymore than we do because of where the Greek Super League currently ranks today. I think Derek is appropriately hyped at this time. His consistent play with a mid-table side is getting noticed and appreciated.

Definitely not an expert on Greece, but to me there's not a big difference between that league and Turkey, or Belgium, or Denmark, or Russia, Ukraine, etc. Some have more money than others, but typically there is a big 3 or 4, which I believe dictate the Coefficent based on their results in Europe, then there's the rest of the clubs.

So, if Greece is a little higher than usual, it may be down to teams like Olympiacos having good runs recently in Europe, which obviously would be great for Osorio if he goes there. It says less about teams like the one Cornelius plays for, or the rest of the league at large. That's my understanding though, someone please correct if that's wrong as I am just going off memory. 

Edit: There's no Olympiacos rumor, it's Panathinaikos 

Edited by Obinna

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

So, if Greece is a little higher than usual, it may be down to teams like Olympiacos having good runs recently in Europe, which obviously would be great for Osorio if he goes there. 

This is the second time on this page you have mentioned Olympiacos. Is there another rumour about Oso going there? The only rumour I have seen is Panathinaikos - not a particularly big club these days and nowhere close to Olympiacos. As far as I can tell they haven’t had a run in Europe in the last five seasons.

Edited by Floortom

15 minutes ago, Floortom said:

This is the second time on this page you have mentioned Olympiacos. Is there another rumour about Oso going there? The only rumour I have seen is Panathinaikos - not a particularly big club these days and nowhere close to Olympiacos. As far as I can tell they haven’t had a run in Europe in the last five seasons.

There is not. My mistake. No there isn't any Olympiakos rumors. I got confused somewhere along the way.

P....iakos

O....iakos

I blame the "O" in Osorio for throwing me off :)

@Floortom and right you are on Panathinaikos. They are historically a big club, and Olympiacos biggest rival, but they've struggled recently, similar to how Basel has struggled in Switzerland (they haven't won in 5 seasons after previously being serial winners domestically). Like Basel though, they are still a big club in their country, despite underperforming recently. 

Going to take a look at their recent results now.

2021-22

League - 4th

Greek Cup - Winner

Europe - DNQ

2020-21

League - 5th

Greek Cup - QF

Europe - DNQ

2019-20

League - 4th

Greek Cup - QF

Europe DNQ

So yeah, rough go of it for a club that's won 20 league titles and 19 Greek cups. They actually haven't won since 2009-10, but they have a perfect record so far and sit 1st at the moment, so that's encouraging. They got bounced from EL Conference qualifying at the hands of Slavia Prague, so Osorio would have to wait until next season for possible European games.

In retrospect, now that I am not confused as to which club he's possibly going to, it's not the best move and so I agree with Free Kick more than I previously did. That said, it's still pretty decent move overall. He's very likely going to play and there are some other internationals at the club, so in theory there are some decent players there. Surprised to see Bernard there, actually.

Edited by Obinna

Also, Mexican international and semi-regular NT starter (and former TFC killer), Pineda, is at a similar club to Panathinaikos (AEK Athens), but is absolutely rocking it with 3 goals in 4 games. He's here on loan from Celta Vigo, probably to ensure game time ahead of Qatar, so if AEK Athens it's good enough for a player like Pineda, Panathinaikos is good enough for a player like Osorio, I think.

I hope it happens. 

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Also, Mexican international and semi-regular NT starter (and former TFC killer), Pineda, is at a similar club to Panathinaikos (AEK Athens), but is absolutely rocking it with 3 goals in 4 games. He's here on loan from Celta Vigo, probably to ensure game time ahead of Qatar, so if AEK Athens it's good enough for a player like Pineda, Panathinaikos is good enough for a player like Osorio, I think.

I hope it happens. 

I agree. I just hope Osorio doesn't get frozen out of the starting 11 when he'd be playing regularly for TFC. 

10 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I agree. I just hope Osorio doesn't get frozen out of the starting 11 when he'd be playing regularly for TFC. 

For sure. I do think that's far less likely at Panathinaikos than Olympiacos, which are clearly stronger at the moment. 

Also, TFC only have a few games left anyways, so he's better off leaving in search for game time, even if it's on loan. 

Strange he supposedly wants to make the transfer after the World Cup. Maybe with the nerve issue he wants to recover and train with/in Toronto? 

kos---means belonging to, pertaining to, typical Greek suffix. 

Panathinaikos, belonging to all of Athens.

Olympiakos, belonging to Mount Olympus.

Panetolikos, where Cornelius plays: pertaining to all of the region of Aetolia.

It is also where the term kosplay comes from, now I am making things up.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Definitely not an expert on Greece, but to me there's not a big difference between that league and Turkey, or Belgium, or Denmark, or Russia, Ukraine, etc. Some have more money than others, but typically there is a big 3 or 4, which I believe dictate the Coefficent based on their results in Europe, then there's the rest of the clubs.

True.   However,  the problem there is that over the past 20-30 years there is been an ever widening gap growing between the big five leagues and that group you mentioned and the trend is not reversing.

Edited by Free kick

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

Seems like a decent move.  Not a great move.  This club is currently the top club Greece from what I can tell,   they have played in the last 16 (or higher) in UCL about a dozen times in the last 50 years.  The Greek league ranks better than I thought if you go by the UEFA coefficient,  they surpassed Belgium this year and are much higher than the Turkish league.  League doesnt seem to get much visibility abroad so its going to be very hard to follow his progress there.   We had a player (a prospect) in that league (AEK) once and it was hard to get on-line info (and reading material) due to language and different alphabet.  Then again,  I dont think that "Google translate" was around at the time that Stathis Kappos played there 🙂

If you recall, Tam Nsaliwa was also at AEK and had regular starter minutes for a season or two.  Following the league is hard, even for many Greeks outside of the country, but that is because the league and most clubs completely incompetent when it comes to marketing.  The big clubs are better at it though.

For me, if you look at the quality level of play, this is probably a lateral move.  Where Jonno will benefit, and I think we all see this, is the increase in intensity he'll feel having to perform every week.  If the team gets a disappointing result, no one is going to give the players a pat on the back saying, "don't worry guys, we just need to finish 14th! (ie 7th in the conference)".  

14 hours ago, gator said:

I hope he goes for it, I'm not going to debate quality of leagues but no doubt he will be immersed in a different soccer culture and it would be interesting to see how he does, I think he has a game adaptable to different styles! As has been mentioned there is potential for him to be playing right up to Qatar which can't be bad as long has he gets a fair shot and stays healthy!

According to this website:  https://www.globalfootballrankings.com/compare?first=MajorLeagueSoccer&second=GreekSuperLeague

the Greek league is below MLS on average but Panathinaikos itself would be toward the top of MLS.

1 minute ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Idk if Greece is necessarily where he wants to move, I think he should bide his time and wait for a bigger move. He'll be on the global stage in Qatar and can really shine

Makes me think this is the reason he is pushing for a January move because he is hoping for a strong World Cup showing and maybe more interest.