Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

The club's looking for a hometown discount from the player, the player's maximizing his value with strong performances as well as his camp trying to get some more irons in the fire.  Good second story drama to go along with the Forza Italia hype.  

At the end of it all, I think he'll re-sign.

2 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

He’s over $1M this year.  Will need to take a lot less I’d assume if he wants to try Europe.  

Osorio is one of a few players who could make a good move, with a better salary in Europe, depending on the World Cup. 

If we beat one of Croatia or Belgium, or get out of the group, we'll see moves for David, Osorio, Adekugbe, Johnston, I think they're the best bets. Miller even. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://youtu.be/AdDaUnuxxpY a really good interview with Oso. He doesn't do too many of these so nice to see. 

One interesting part is that he doesn't get to close to his coaches as he doesn't want things to be personal if a coach does something he doesn't like.

He's talking about TFC here but I wonder if the dynamic is different with Herdman.

Edited by VinceA

On 7/11/2022 at 4:33 PM, TOcanadafan said:

He’s over $1M this year.  Will need to take a lot less I’d assume if he wants to try Europe.  

I was listening to a podcast / radio interview yesterday from an Edmonton station who was inetrviewing Luke Wileman.   He noted that Osorio would be open to a move to Europe or South America if required.    He mentioned his development roots in Uruguay and the the fact that he has Colombian background.  

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

https://youtu.be/AdDaUnuxxpY a really good interview with Oso. He doesn't do too many of these so nice to see. 

One interesting part is that he doesn't get to close to his coaches as he doesn't want things to be personal if a coach does something he doesn't like.

He's talking about TFC here but I wonder if the dynamic is different with Herdman.

I am 3/4 of the way through.  Yes, its a good piece.   I am not sure that I concure that : "He doesn't do too many of these".  He use to get interviewed a fair bit on TFC segments on local radio shows.   Compared to other players on TFC,  It would appear that he has done his share.   In fact, him and Bradley would be the two whom we have heard from the most.  Interestingly, I have never heard Giovinco (For example) do any kind of sit down interview.  Thats the kind of player I would have been interested to hear from.

Edited by Free kick

On 7/11/2022 at 4:33 PM, TOcanadafan said:

I'm not sure why he couldn't make a lateral salary move and go somewhere in Europe.  At this stage of his career he has nothing left to prove in MLS and presumably has a bank balance that means he can choose to go where he wants instead of needing maximum money.  

I'd see his options as re-signing one last time with TFC for solid money or finding a place in Europe where he can earn similar money on a team that promises him playing time.  (I doubt he wants to sign somewhere just to ride the bench.)  Not bad options, really.

He’s at 1 026 000 this year. Career earnings estimated at 4 431 333 USD, plus sponsors and national team bonus, minus taxes, probably between 2.5 and 3.0 millions in USD.

So yeah, awesome but not heavy rich. I guess he will look for a long term, at least 3 years at 1 million per year. Toronto will offer that, but he needs to have a great world cup to have that salary elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

I'm not sure why he couldn't make a lateral salary move and go somewhere in Europe.  At this stage of his career he has nothing left to prove in MLS and presumably has a bank balance that means he can choose to go where he wants instead of needing maximum money.  

I'd see his options as re-signing one last time with TFC for solid money or finding a place in Europe where he can earn similar money on a team that promises him playing time.  (I doubt he wants to sign somewhere just to ride the bench.)  Not bad options, really.

In that interview (posted above), he mentioned how his style is Colombian influence.  So if I think of someone like Valderamma from the past,  their (Colombian) style is slow and patient.   I also think of a player that excels in short and penetrating passes and combination play.  This is not the kind of style that catches the attention of European clubs unless you are a known quantity and have built a name and reputation already.   So coming from MLS wont help.    He is definitely not suited for the game in the British Isles where its run run run.  This might explain why he could easily risk facing the same fate as Laryea if he were to go there.  

Edited by Free kick

13 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Osorio might need to take one of TFC’s DP spots if resigned… so that could be a factor too. 

Toronto still have one DP spot, Osorio is not and still makes 1 million.

Let say he signs a new deal until july 2026. He would make, in 3 and a half seasons, the same amount of money he made from 2013-2022 (10 seasons). Thanks to 2 World Cup. 

He’s already based in the national team headquarters, has guaranteed playing time, good salary and marketable. Would definitely be a legend if he retires with TFC, that means coach/ambassador role.

Would be dumb to move to Europe imo and South American clubs will never give him 1 million USD.

Maybe Mexico…

Edited by MauditYvon

6 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

He’s at 1 026 000 this year. Career earnings estimated at 4 431 333 USD, plus sponsors and national team bonus, minus taxes, probably between 2.5 and 3.0 millions in USD.

So yeah, awesome but not heavy rich. I guess he will look for a long term, at least 3 years at 1 million per year. Toronto will offer that, but he needs to have a great world cup to have that salary elsewhere.

He must also make some decent money doing commercials here in Canada.  In Europe, he wouldn't have that revenue stream.

On 7/11/2022 at 7:27 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Osorio is one of a few players who could make a good move, with a better salary in Europe, depending on the World Cup. 

If we beat one of Croatia or Belgium, or get out of the group, we'll see moves for David, Osorio, Adekugbe, Johnston, I think they're the best bets. Miller even. 

Thats True.  But not as true as it used to be.  It used to be that a strong performance at the world cup by lesser known player (Often non-European players) would boost the value of the player but a lot clubs later learned that often those type of deals seldom paid off because the player would often get injured or underperform in the year following the world cup  due fixture exhaustion.    

Edited by Free kick