Victor Loturi

Atlantic

43 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Herdmans comments about trying out Bombito at the #6 because that's where he and Colorado see his long term future just sits wrong with me when he leaves the actual DM on the bench in Loturi.

I feel like Herdman's man management has become really poor in recent times. 

More than that...the first midfield sub to enter the game is somebody that wasn't even on your original roster?!?

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

So either Loturi picked up a knock in training or he hasn't impressed Herdman enough in that context. These things happen.

That's one of my issues with Herdman, We have talented guys that just can't seem to earn his trust (ZBG, Choiniere, Piette, Millar, all the keepers except for Borjan, etc...) and then we have Brym and Fraser.  

Totally eye-rolled when I saw the change coming at 60min.  So predictable and pre-planned.  

16 minutes ago, costarg said:

That's one of my issues with Herdman, We have talented guys that just can't seem to earn his trust (ZBG, Choiniere, Piette, Millar, all the keepers except for Borjan, etc...) and then we have Brym and Fraser.  

Totally eye-rolled when I saw the change coming at 60min.  So predictable and pre-planned.  

Brym is so frusturating for me. How many chances is this guy going to get to turn it up a notch? I don't know what it is. It seems like he needs a fire lit under him or something. Clearly he has all the tools, but just looks so casual any time I see him play. Maybe that's who he is as a player and maybe that's good enough to score double digits in the Dutch 2nd division, but it doesn't and hasn't translated at the international level.

I want to see him get more aggresive in all areas of his play. 

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Brym is so frusturating for me. How many chances is this guy going to get to turn it up a notch? I don't know what it is. It seems like he needs a fire lit under him or something. Clearly he has all the tools, but just looks so casual any time I see him play. Maybe that's who he is as a player and maybe that's good enough to score double digits in the Dutch 2nd division, but it doesn't and hasn't translated at the international level.

He's a 25 year old 2nd division player. The odds that he ever develops into anything more than that and can be useful to a serious national team are massively stacked against him. These are the types of players we should spend almost no time worrying about or calling into squads IMO - they don't make us better now and they're unlikely to in the future either. 

Edited by Floortom

10 minutes ago, Floortom said:

He's a 25 year old 2nd division player. The odds that he ever develops into anything more than that and can be useful to a serious national team are massively stacked against him. These are the types of players we should spend almost no time worrying about or calling into squads IMO - they don't make is better now and they're unlikely to in the future either. 

Couldn't agree more. I'll give him this season at Sparta in the top flight to see what happens. If he doesn't take a big step I think he needs to be at least de-prioritized (not necessarily forgotten about...yet). 

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

This is exactly how I feel about you know who….and he has more reps the Brym. I’m still trying to figure out what he does best, but somehow he always gets a bligh and praise for doing nothing.

So for me, I’m willing to give Brym or whoever that same extended leash that everyone gives him. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

This is exactly how I feel about you know who….and he has more reps the Brym. I’m still trying to figure out what he does best, but somehow he always gets a bligh and praise for doing nothing.

So for me, I’m willing to give Brym or whoever that same extended leash that everyone gives him. 

I know you aren’t a Millar fan but I thought he was pretty effective last night.  High energy, attacking defenders, and got some good crosses into the box.  Most of our guys aren’t phenoms - and none on this squad seem to fit that description.  So for many of them  it is a numbers game - create enough decent chances and you will ultimately convert some of them.  And in that respect I thought Liam did pretty well.  Yeah, he didn’t grab the game by the throat and dominate it.  But he did fine - to the point where I (and some others) were surprised when he was subbed off.  

I get that he doesn’t wow you, but I think he is a solid player and will continue to be an option for the Nats.  And in the context of this particular squad, he showed a lot more than some of the other guys trying to stake a claim.  

18 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know you aren’t a Millar fan but I thought he was pretty effective last night.  High energy, attacking defenders, and got some good crosses into the box.  Most of our guys aren’t phenoms - and none on this squad seem to fit that description.  So for many of them  it is a numbers game - create enough decent chances and you will ultimately convert some of them.  And in that respect I thought Liam did pretty well.  Yeah, he didn’t grab the game by the throat and dominate it.  But he did fine - to the point where I (and some others) were surprised when he was subbed off.  

I get that he doesn’t wow you, but I think he is a solid player and will continue to be an option for the Nats.  And in the context of this particular squad, he showed a lot more than some of the other guys trying to stake a claim.  

The other thing about Millar..... Even in the few minutes he did get, I feel he is always the first one off or the last one on.  Never really got a solid chance to fit in.  Every time I feel this is it, the moment is coming, he gets pulled off.  Such a hard worker, plays at high levels and always shows up, yet Herdman doesn't seem to rate him very highly. 

I feel Herdman has an interview process or test, either you pass or fail, there are no redo's.  Looks for very specific profiles in his brotherhood, if you're in he's very loyal, if you're out, you'll barely get a chance to prove yourself on the field.  

35 minutes ago, costarg said:

The other thing about Millar..... Even in the few minutes he did get, I feel he is always the first one off or the last one on.  Never really got a solid chance to fit in.  Every time I feel this is it, the moment is coming, he gets pulled off.  Such a hard worker, plays at high levels and always shows up, yet Herdman doesn't seem to rate him very highly. 

I feel Herdman has an interview process or test, either you pass or fail, there are no redo's.  Looks for very specific profiles in his brotherhood, if you're in he's very loyal, if you're out, you'll barely get a chance to prove yourself on the field.  

Millar showed quickness and made some decent crosses. There were a couple of times when I thought he was a step past his defender within a few yards of the box and  expected him to cut in front of the defender to get a a shot on goal or induce a penalty. He instead looked up for the pass. Very unselfish on his part, however  it would help his game if he actually used his pace/ 1v1 skill and cut inside towards goal sometimes and have a go. He has a decent shot. It would make him harder to defend against.

11 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Millar showed quickness and made some decent crosses. There were a couple of times when I thought he was a step past his defender within a few yards of the box and  expected him to cut in front of the defender to get a a shot on goal or induce a penalty. He instead looked up for the pass. Very unselfish on his part, however  it would help his game if he actually used his pace/ 1v1 skill and cut inside towards goal sometimes and have a go. He has a decent shot. It would make him harder to defend against.

Agreed, very unselfish player, seems like a team first kinda guy.  Wants to fit in more than puff up his stats.

Something doesn't add up to me with the Loturi situation. He starts to get called up for A squads, though he doesn't get on the field. That's not the weird part -- he's a fringe guy in those squads. But he gets called up multiple times so the staff think he's good enough to keep coming back. Then we have a B+ squad for the Gold Cup and he has Bombito and Fraser ahead of him? Perhaps I'm reading too much into one game (or he has a knock or something), but it's weird to me that those guys are ahead of him still.

Why was he getting called up to A squads? Why is he not a key part of this squad? I'm certain he will get some time throughout this tournament, but I can't help but find it strange.

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

Something doesn't add up to me with the Loturi situation. He starts to get called up for A squads, though he doesn't get on the field. That's not the weird part -- he's a fringe guy in those squads. But he gets called up multiple times so the staff think he's good enough to keep coming back. Then we have a B+ squad for the Gold Cup and he has Bombito and Fraser ahead of him? Perhaps I'm reading too much into one game (or he has a knock or something), but it's weird to me that those guys are ahead of him still.

Why was he getting called up to A squads? Why is he not a key part of this squad? I'm certain he will get some time throughout this tournament, but I can't help but find it strange.

I 100% agree. Theres a missing piece. 

My guess is that he is on the A squad because of potential and for experience. I dont think hes earned the trust to get meaningful minutes.

It is blasphemy but I think Fraser in a CMNT jersey today is better than Loturi is....  It feels weird to say that....

How would you know if FRASER>LOTURI?  Have to play him first.  Look at Kone, Ahmed, they stepped up and knocked it out of the park.  Fraser is capable, but I dont think he is going to all of a sudden take off to bigger and better things.  Loturi could very well be a guy who hits the ground running and takes a good performance back to his club and doesnt look back.  Or not, who knows, but inviting him back over and over and not giving him a run out is just more weird player management.  When we were winning nobody asked a lot of questions.  

I hope we see Loturi in the next game but this thread is getting a little ridiculous.

Obviously, the staff have watched him up close and don't feel he will make a difference. He will get a shot but he isnt a game breaker. He is playing in the bottom half of the Scottish League. A team that barely avoided relegation. He had a good year but come on people.

Bombito and Ahmed are just as young and have a much higher upside. Yes, he should of played instead of Fraser but they had just battled back to tie the game. He wanted the steadiness of a player that has played well for him before. There is no conspiracy here

7 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I agree that he could have been more selfish a few times.  I also think his final ball wasn't that great.. I hope he gets another chance as he always looks lively.

15 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Millar showed quickness and made. Very unselfish on his part, however  it would help his game if he actually used his pace/ 1v1 skill and cut inside towards goal sometimes and have a go. He has a decent shot. It would make him harder to defend against.

This is all I want to see. It’s to predictable at times, where I know he’s going to look to cut back to play a pass instead of driving forward or attacking the fullback with confidence. He has the quality…I’ve seen him do it at Charlton, but haven’t anywhere else.

Those nice crosses he made, were great…but they were sent with no name on it. 

Everyone is praising his “unselfishness” but as an attacker if he truly is that…he has to have some selfishness, some grit in the final third. 

I get that mentality being with the first team, but this is the B team…where he needs to stake his claim, as he hasn’t been in the squad since the World Cup.

On 6/28/2023 at 7:55 PM, dyslexic nam said:

The same way you’ve followed Nelson this year, is the same way I’ve watched the boy at St Johnstonne, Charlton and have caught a few Basel games. A lot of you have just followed him by getting the updates in his thread, and haven’t watched him (but go on and say you do)

Everyone keeps forgetting this was his 18th cap. Not his 9th. He’s turning 24 not 21.

So on the national team level I’m simply just expecting more, that’s all. And I’m sure JH is probably too.

16 hours ago, costarg said:

And this is the bullshit that gets  stated and gets some traction, as if Liam hasn’t beeeeen part of the brotherhood. 

You gotta take your chances when they are given. Not every gets the opportunity, so when you do get limited minutes, or the start…show out like Tajon did. 

I’ve come to the conclusion that he’s just a popular player here, and what he actually does gets overstated or undermined.

Lastly (and I’ve stated this before) I’m a fan of EVERY Canadian player, I just put everyone through the same microscope/scrutiny regardless of any variables.

If I didn’t I would be advocating for Akinola to be in the squad. 

On 6/28/2023 at 11:21 AM, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah if Brym doesn’t stick in the first div this year, I think I’m ready to move on, or at least give his spot to Colyn, if we want to go deep into the Dutch pyramid. 

I was ready to give up on him years ago. He is not NT level. Please stop putting him out there. 

9 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

I was ready to give up on him years ago. He is not NT level. Please stop putting him out there. 

He’s had 9 caps and 1 goal in 298 mins (equivalent to 3 full 90 minute  games)

I think the coaching staff is hoping for his club play to translate to something with CMNT. But unlike many, I’m willing to give him the same benefit of the doubt. 

Edited by Shway