Victor Loturi

Atlantic

On 6/28/2023 at 4:09 PM, Shway said:

This is exactly how I feel about you know who….and he has more reps the Brym. I’m still trying to figure out what he does best, but somehow he always gets a bligh and praise for doing nothing.

So for me, I’m willing to give Brym or whoever that same extended leash that everyone gives him. 

Fair enough about the leash and the fact that Millar hasn't produced yet for Canada, but the difference for me with these two is that Millar always looks like he's on the cusp of breaking through and Brym never does. Even if we put production aside: If Brym showed half the energy and intensity that Millar shows everytime he plays then he'd be waaaaay more useful to the national team. He'd probably have the same number of caps as Millar if he could figure out how to turn that switch on.

Like I said though, maybe that's who he is as a player. I have the made the same complaints about Theo Bair and Noble Okello in the past and neither seems to be able to activate that beast mode. Brym seems to be the same. 

As for Millar, he's the one out of all the young guys on this squad who has the best chance of cementing himself as an A player. He's already been part of that group so many times. He has the reps and camps under his belt, but not the minutes. This is Herdman's opportunity to give Millar 90 minute games for Canada, or close to it.

Maybe the plan is for him to play heavy minutes in the next two games, maybe not, but I hope to see it. I want to see a frontline of Millar-Cav-Hoilett. If we go in a two then it's probably Cav-Hoilett, but I would personally like to see Millar-Cav with Hoilett in the midfield just underneath. If he insists on playing him out wide as a winger than great, play him as much as possible. If we play with wingbacks so be it, play him there as much as possible.

We talk about investing in our depth at this tournament, which often gets talked about in terms of debutants or fringe players, but it should also be about letting those A team bench players get as many minutes as possible. This goes for Hoilett, Cav, Kennedy and Osorio too...and yes even St. Clair. Hell you could put Spoony in that convo too, but of course you have to factor in who is getting aged out and who needs minutes managed, but for someone like Millar who is young and presumably healthy and fresh...PLAY HIM 90 MINUTES.

Maybe I am missing the mark, but just how I feel when I think about Brym and Millar. I want Brym to succeed obviously and would like to believe he can, but I want to see him show something more to actually make me believe. With Millar I already believe, that's the difference. The young man just needs the vote of confidence that he's a key player on this B team, not just a starter who is going to get pulled off at the 60 minute mark (or whenever it was Herdman rotated him and Hoilett out). 

Edited by Obinna

19 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Millar showed quickness and made some decent crosses. There were a couple of times when I thought he was a step past his defender within a few yards of the box and  expected him to cut in front of the defender to get a a shot on goal or induce a penalty. He instead looked up for the pass. Very unselfish on his part, however  it would help his game if he actually used his pace/ 1v1 skill and cut inside towards goal sometimes and have a go. He has a decent shot. It would make him harder to defend against.

We need our wings to develop a go to the net mentality.  Too often we get a step around their outside defender and it becomes an arrow to the touch line.  Beat you man and change your angle.  Got for goal, but hit it.  Good chance if you don't score the keep will parry it into the 6.

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Fair enough about the leash and the fact that Millar hasn't produced yet for Canada, but the difference for me with these two is that Millar always looks like he's on the cusp of breaking through and Brym never does. Even if we put production aside: If Brym showed half the energy and intensity that Millar shows everytime he plays then he'd be waaaaay more useful to the national team. He'd probably have the same number of caps as Millar if he could figure out how to turn that switch on.

Like I said though, maybe that's who he is as a player. I have the made the same complaints about Theo Bair and Noble Okello in the past and neither seems to be able to activate that beast mode. Brym seems to be the same. 

As for Millar, he's the one out of all the young guys on this squad who has the best chance of cementing himself as an A player. He's already been part of that group so many times. He has the reps and camps under his belt, but not the minutes. This is Herdman's opportunity to give Millar 90 minute games for Canada, or close to it.

Maybe the plan is for him to play heavy minutes in the next two games, maybe not, but I hope to see it. I want to see a frontline of Millar-Cav-Hoilett. If we go in a two then it's probably Cav-Hoilett, but I would personally like to see Millar-Cav with Hoilett in the midfield just underneath. If he insists on playing him out wide as a winger than great, play him as much as possible. If we play with wingbacks so be it, play him there as much as possible.

We talk about investing in our depth at this tournament, which often gets talked about in terms of debutants or fringe players, but it should also be about letting those A team bench players get as many minutes as possible. This goes for Hoilett, Cav, Kennedy and Osorio too...and yes even St. Clair. Hell you could put Spoony in that convo too, but of course you have to factor in who is getting aged out and who needs minutes managed, but for someone like Millar who is young and presumably healthy and fresh...PLAY HIM 90 MINUTES.

Maybe I am missing the mark, but just how I feel when I think about Brym and Millar. I want Brym to succeed obviously and would like to believe he can, but I want to see him show something more to actually make me believe. With Millar I already believe, that's the difference. The young man just needs the vote of confidence that he's a key player on this B team, not just a starter who is going to get pulled off at the 60 minute mark (or whenever it was Herdman rotated him and Hoilett out). 

Well said.  We were behind the net in the V's section on Tuesday and watched Millar have success taking on his man wide.  Was shocked he came off first.  Obviously there can be more to it ( injury, saving minutes for later in the tourney, etc... ) but he is by far our best option on the left at this point.

3 hours ago, Shway said:

He’s had 9 caps and 1 goal in 298 mins (equivalent to 3 full 90 minute  games)

I think the coaching staff is hoping for his club play to translate to something with CMNT. But unlike many, I’m willing to give him the same benefit of the doubt. 

For context, that Brym goal came against Barbados, no?

Brym was lights out in that January camp. He was such a pleasent surprise, direct and taking players on (kind of like you know who).

That was the best we have seen of Brym. It was also against a very weak team, far weaker than the likes of Guadeloupe. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

For context, that Brym goal came against Barbados, no?

Brym was lights out in that January camp. He was such a pleasent surprise, direct and taking players on (kind of like you know who).

That was the best we have seen of Brym. It was also against a very weak team, far weaker than the likes of Guadeloupe. 

Yes. Weak opponent but that’s when you are expected to perform no?

You make mention of that as if Millar hasn’t played against Cayman Islands, or Aruba (I won’t mention the cameos he made against other weak teams) but he’s had the chance to stake his claim.

I honestly hate how I get drawn into this, because it gives a wrong perception of how I truly feel. 

I just get annoyed at the apologists approach that majority take here especially when you look at the overall  picture which is “he hasn’t produce anything”…and don’t give me XG or XA either.

So if you could scrutinize one player, just do it for the other is all I’ve always been saying. And on the international stage I don’t know what his strengths is to the national team, reason why I’ve suggested he might have a long term future at LB simply because of his work rate and ability to keep the ball.

With all that energy, I just want to see him be more aggressive, more gusto, more willing to be direct but it’s like he plays on safe when he has the skillset to not to.  

1 minute ago, shorty said:

Why is this Brym vs Millar convo all in the Loturi thread…?

Hoping we see Victor tomorrow. 

I’ll raise my hand. My bad. 

I hope to see Loturi as well in some kind of form. If his size was an issue, it shouldn’t be against the Guatemalans.

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yes. Weak opponent but that’s when you are expected to perform no?

You make mention of that as if Millar hasn’t played against Cayman Islands, or Aruba (I won’t mention the cameos he made against other weak teams) but he’s had the chance to stake his claim.

I honestly hate how I get drawn into this, because it gives a wrong perception of how I truly feel. 

I just get annoyed at the apologists approach that majority take here especially when you look at the overall  picture which is “he hasn’t produce anything”…and don’t give me XG or XA either.

So if you could scrutinize one player, just do it for the other is all I’ve always been saying.

Yeah totally fair and I know what you are saying. I personally don't think you are anti-Millar like some have made it seem. Your point has always been that no player should be beyond scrutiny. You have been one of the few to be critical of Millar and I think the lack of criticism comes from the fact it's so obvious that he's right there knocking on the door. He always puts in a good performance and always seems able to play at the same level with our top players. There really is very little to scrutinize. The only thing to criticize in my opinon is his lack of finishing given how well he plays for us. He had the chance against Jamaica he should have put away, plus a few others I am sure.  

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

And on the international stage I don’t know what his strengths is to the national team, reason why I’ve suggested he might have a long term future at LB simply because of his work rate and ability to keep the ball.

With all that energy, I just want to see him be more aggressive, more gusto, more willing to be direct but it’s like he plays on safe when he has the skillset to not to.  

I don't really get this part though. He is very aggressive, always has gusto, always direct. I don't really see him as playing safe per se. I remember against Costa Rica in Edmonton he was a weapon attacking down the flank. He was equal or even better than Buchanan on the other side. Both of them were giving the Ticos fits. Nothing was safe about it. Last night as well I didn't see him playing safe. I guess there were times he recycled the ball, but that's just a part of playing wingback to me. 

Nonetheless, I think if you play Miller advanced he's going to do damage for us. I don't want to start making excuses for him now, but I just feel that once he gets that first goal for Canada he'll start showing more ruthlessness. I think it's inside of him. 

I have also been a broken record on this for years, so there's that as well.

40 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Hope we get to see Bombito at CB and Loturi where he belongs as opposed to no Bombito. But we need to see Loturi

Hoping for this as well. I would like to see Vitoria rested and one of McGraw or Bombito in a back 4, or if we do a back 3 I want to see Bombito at RCB and McGraw in the middle. 

Hopefully Herdman learned that McGraw isn't ideal for RCB in a back 3.

I hope Bombito doesn't take away an opportunity for Loturi tomorrow, but I am fine with him replacing Loturi in midfield. If Bombito starts in midfield again I want to see Loturi at some point, ideally with enough minutes to show something.

15 minutes ago, Joe1973 said:

Has something happened between Herdman and Loturi? Or is this a simple case of Herdman having his favorites like Fraser and Spoon? 

I would normally believe it's all about having favorites, but Fraser was not even on original squad that was announced. 

Herdman has his boys, and unfortunately it will eventually be to the detriment of the program.