Victor Loturi

Atlantic

Loturi subbed off at the 86th. Just before I tuned in lol. 

Wonder if he has done enough to get a move if they go down or whether his best bet is for Ross County to stay up?

Update: They go to extra time.

I am probably in the minority but I love the scottish post season and relegation playoff. Still surprised onesoccer or fubo haven't picked up the SPL

Edited by toontownman

Kinda fun, eh?

Man really has met the challenge,you have to love seeing that.  Another year in Scotland and a continuation of the upward arc in his career awaits!

Wonder if Akio will get a revisit to Ross County?  He was on a 2+1 if memory serves.  

On 6/4/2023 at 1:25 PM, toontownman said:

I am probably in the minority but I love the scottish post season and relegation playoff. Still surprised onesoccer or fubo haven't picked up the SPL

And for those that weren't paying much attention to it, the layout is a lot like the new CPL playoff format, just without the 1 vs 2 game. For the Scottish playoffs they ranked the teams 1 to 4, then the matchups were 3 vs 4, winner plays 2, and then winner of that plays 1.

I'd love it if the SPFL invested in the Canadian market. Feels like there are enough Scottish (and Irish, I guess) Canadians to justify some sort of broadcasting deal, and I'd love if there were some sort of partnerships between SPFL and CPL teams. Scotland is the natural step up for CPL players, it would also be a decent level for Scottish players to go on loan if they're not quite up to form, and I think there's a lot CPL teams can learn from Scottish teams who have managed to survive for over a century as small, regional clubs fighting not only two giant domestic clubs but also the biggest league in the world right on their doorstep. Something like what LAFC and Bayern are doing, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Edited by InglewoodJack

53 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I'd love it if the SPFL invested in the Canadian market. Feels like there are enough Scottish (and Irish, I guess) Canadians to justify some sort of broadcasting deal, ...

The issue there is that there are not that many recent Scottish immigrants over the last 50 years or so. Plenty of Canadians might write that on a census return but a lot of them are doing it based on a surname or something like that rather than any deep conncetion to present day Scotland.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I'd love it if the SPFL invested in the Canadian market. Feels like there are enough Scottish (and Irish, I guess) Canadians to justify some sort of broadcasting deal, and I'd love if there were some sort of partnerships between SPFL and CPL teams. Scotland is the natural step up for CPL players, it would also be a decent level for Scottish players to go on loan if they're not quite up to form, and I think there's a lot CPL teams can learn from Scottish teams who have managed to survive for over a century as small, regional clubs fighting not only two giant domestic clubs but also the biggest league in the world right on their doorstep. Something like what LAFC and Bayern are doing, albeit on a much smaller scale.

I don't even think they invest much in the Scottish market....

12 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The issue there is that there are not that many recent Scottish immigrants over the last 50 years or so. Plenty of Canadians might write that on a census return but a lot of them are doing it based on a surname or something like that rather than any deep conncetion to present day Scotland.

I'm more thinking about the Canadians that are ~connected enough to their roots to see a game between two teams they've maybe heard their families talk about and feel enough of a connection to not change the channel. There are also Celtic and Rangers fan clubs across the country. I've seen Hurley on TV before, there are a ton of Gaelic sports associations, Irish dancing is still a big thing even though like 99% of Irish Canadians are like 19th generation at this point, just as an example of people who maintain cultural ties despite being in the country for generations. Not imagining a massive corporate deal or anything, but if there was a way where Scottish games were readily available to watch in Canada, I'm imagining it more as something pubs can broadcast during the day, something you can watch on a Saturday afternoon instead of reruns of the 2020 world lumberjack championship, etc. Not to use an overused term, but it's a way to "normalize" watching soccer that isn't just the premier league or champions league. You see Hearts are playing Celtic, you remember your grandfather talking about Hearts as a kid, you realize that hey, this isn't half bad, you see how passionate the fans are for these kinds of teams, but you wish we had something like this at home, then you find out that Forge is playing Vancouver tomorrow, and VFC have this 16 year old phenom that just might be the next big thing in Canadian soccer, and all of a sudden, you develop a deeper interest in the game. Then, as teams in Canada start sending more players towards Scotland, the same fans that followed them in Canada start following them in Scotland.

Nothing massive, I just think that there's a natural fit between SPFL and the CPL, and I think we can leverage them as a way to improve how we do soccer here, they can leverage us to get first crack at really good players their clubs can then sell on elsewhere, and considering a lot of the terrible sports programming that fills your typical mid day schedule, you might as well put some Scottish games on and see if people are into it.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

...I've seen Hurley on TV before,...

Assume you mean hurling. In Scotland there is a sport called shinty that's fairly similar. Beyond that I suspect you massively overestimate the extent to which Celtic are of interest to nth-generation Irish immigrants in North America. 

12 hours ago, VinceA said:

I don't even think they invest much in the Scottish market....

SPFL fans regularly complain about their media deal. Their Scottish tv deal with Sky is only about 30 million pounds/yr.

In comparison, the new EFL Sky deal is 180 million pounds/yr. Based on EFL's tv distribution formula, this means League One's tv money is a bit higher than SPFL's and League Two is only 8 million pounds less. The Championship money is over 4x higher.

English TV revenue is insane.  Has been for years.

Seems odd doesn't it, that £30M per for broadcast rights in a country with the population of BC is something people feel they can complain about.  Wonder how that number compares to Portugal or Greece which are twice as big and I'd suggest with a stronger diaspora.

At least the revenue is shared more reasonable these days.  Wasn't so long ago that the Old Firm was gobbled up half of it.

11 hours ago, Cheeta said:

English TV revenue is insane.  Has been for years.

Seems odd doesn't it, that £30M per for broadcast rights in a country with the population of BC is something people feel they can complain about.  Wonder how that number compares to Portugal or Greece which are twice as big and I'd suggest with a stronger diaspora.

At least the revenue is shared more reasonable these days.  Wasn't so long ago that the Old Firm was gobbled up half of it.

I'd be curious to see what the CHL broadcast deal is worth- probably the closest comparison to Scottish football just given both are concentrated in a few major cities and many smaller towns. I know the CFL's deal is worth $50M with- again, they're national, so bigger market than Scotland, but considering they're competing with the NHL and also the NFL, that's still a pretty decent deal.

On 6/7/2023 at 11:22 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Assume you mean hurling. In Scotland there is a sport called shinty that's fairly similar. Beyond that I suspect you massively overestimate the extent to which Celtic are of interest to nth-generation Irish immigrants in North America. 

Something cool to watch on TV. Again, I doubt that there's significantly less interest to watch a late morning/early afternoon Celtic game than there is to watch whatever sports are currently on TV at that time which is typically lumberjack competitions, amateur curling, darts and bowling.

12 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Read an interesting article recently, comparing Welsh and Irish rugby, and how different the revenue streams are. Despite having similar populations, it ends up being totally different because Ireland has a national TV, airlines, phone companies, etc that all invest in it (the way any domestic vendors would). But for Wales, they're part of the UK, which means the "national" products will tend to go towards England first.

I bring this up because that's exactly how it is for Scotland as well. The SPL isn't just competing with the EPL for viewers (the way all leagues are), they're literally competing for airtime on the same same domestic broadcasters as the EPL.  So it actually does restrict the value of their broadcast rights vs leagues in other actual countries.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Herdmans comments about trying out Bombito at the #6 because that's where he and Colorado see his long term future just sits wrong with me when he leaves the actual DM on the bench in Loturi.

I feel like Herdman's man management has become really poor in recent times. 

And keeping Vitoria out there who was totally gassed and taking out Bombito is a serious head-scratcher.  Herdman's changes are all preplanned, nothing to do with what is actually happening in the match.