Kyle Hiebert

Big_M

Not to piss on anyone's party, but in that first interview we heard with him, a few weeks back, he said he would take a Canadian or a US call-up. He also said he felt he did not get a fully fair shake in Canadian MLS academy programs and for the youth national teams, after being with us as a u-15.

He only has shifted the version of how excited and committed he is to Canada like a few days ago, after Herdman called. I don't mind, but I think to take that last interview and extrapolate all kinds of mushy sentiment, and call him a future captain, don't think so. 

What I liked best is how he stuck with his college, and the college rose in division 1 when he was there, so he helped its improvement. Also like his loyalty to St Louis and theirs to him. 

Personally, i like Johnson but maybe too cerebral for a football player.  Not sure he can carry the locker room.  I liked Hutch but didn’t think he was vocal enough but probably led by example and his stature which was enough.  David is too shy.  Miller I guess is a possibility.  Honestly, it’s probably Davies as his stature in the game gives him the presence needed with the group and he certainly isn’t shy.  Not sure he is a leader though.  Some players may grow into it as well but I don’t see the Hutch’s, Borjan’s or Vittoria’s with the younger lot.  But maybe there is a lot going on behind the scenes which we don’t see where someone may emerge.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not to piss on anyone's party, but in that first interview we heard with him, a few weeks back, he said he would take a Canadian or a US call-up. He also said he felt he did not get a fully fair shake in Canadian MLS academy programs and for the youth national teams, after being with us as a u-15.

He only has shifted the version of how excited and committed he is to Canada like a few days ago, after Herdman called. I don't mind, but I think to take that last interview and extrapolate all kinds of mushy sentiment, and call him a future captain, don't think so. 

What I liked best is how he stuck with his college, and the college rose in division 1 when he was there, so he helped its improvement. Also like his loyalty to St Louis and theirs to him. 

That’s a little disingenuous as he said he would consider a US call up (I think he was taken by surprise by that question tbh) but it was clear from that interview he felt very Canadian and would be honored by a call up.  I do agree its way too early to think of him as a captain as more than anything, he needs to establish himself in the squad as a regular and that is by no means a given. 

It's bad enough to speculate about who is and isn't a leader in the locker room, but to do it before they have even been on a roster for the national team for a game yet is next level. Especially considering that this is a guy that is 4 games into his pro career. It's not like it's a veteran who has been a captain with his club team for years and has finally clawed his way up to a national team callup.

But what do I know, I didn't even bother watching the interviews.

Future captains: has to be Osorio. 

I also like that he speaks up on the pitch, is feisty, can get into a tussle and avoid the cards, is a leader, has Spanish to converse with so many refs in Concacaf.

To me, Hiebert sounds very American, NCAA clean-cut preppy American, even has picked up that NCAA lisp and gee gosh tone. MLS is chock full of these guys, all of whom pick my ass. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

Personally, i like Johnson but maybe too cerebral for a football player.  Not sure he can carry the locker room.  I liked Hutch but didn’t think he was vocal enough but probably led by example and his stature which was enough.  David is too shy.  Miller I guess is a possibility.  Honestly, it’s probably Davies as his stature in the game gives him the presence needed with the group and he certainly isn’t shy.  Not sure he is a leader though.  Some players may grow into it as well but I don’t see the Hutch’s, Borjan’s or Vittoria’s with the younger lot.  But maybe there is a lot going on behind the scenes which we don’t see where someone may emerge.

Is Johnston too cerebral for a football player? He's a smooth talker and very comfortable doing media, but I've seen little evidence of him being some sort of philosopher or deep thinker.

Of course, I think the designation of captain is pretty meaningless in national team football. Others will disagree, surely.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I also like that he speaks up on the pitch, is feisty, can get into a tussle and avoid the cards, is a leader, has Spanish to converse with so many refs in Concacaf.

To me, Hiebert sounds very American, NCAA clean-cut preppy American, even has picked up that NCAA lisp and gee gosh tone. MLS is chock full of these guys, all of whom pick my ass. 

Is this a Catalan expression that didn't translate well, old friend? 😁

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Actually he sounds more like a typical Manitoban. Down to earth, friendly, and respectful. You should visit sometime.

6 minutes ago, Güerito said:

Actually he sounds more like a typical Manitoban. Down to earth, friendly, and respectful. You should visit sometime.

Tried to but they wouldn't let me.

Seriously, I was there when I was 17… and recently had a job possibility at Brandon. If pressed I'd name at least two friendlier provinces in Canada, though I admit the Valour board on this site is the best of all the CPL ones, everyone is great.

Point is, he still was wishy-washy about Canada and expressed resentment like 2 weeks ago. I don't get why folks have to accept the spin. Just watch it, it's the OS interview. He had his cards rather close to his chest.

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not to piss on anyone's party, but in that first interview we heard with him, a few weeks back, he said he would take a Canadian or a US call-up.

I think you read too much into that.

That was a hypothetical situation where Canada didn't call him for some reason; he clearly always wanted to play for Canada.

He isn't even a U.S. citizen by the way; he just has a Green Card.

11 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

That was a hypothetical situation where Canada didn't call him for some reason; he clearly always wanted to play for Canada.

He also spoke of growing up dreaming of playing for Canada. It’s not like he dreamed of moving to the US and getting citizenship to play for them. Any player in the world will give the same answer to that question - after 20 years of chasing dual nationals we should know this. 

38 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

If he's not a US citizen then possibly I misinterpreted, but he did suggest he'd play for them. He perhaps perceives he could get quick eligibility.

I'm used to players being cagey, but prefer the unequivocal ones if you don't mind.

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

To me, Hiebert sounds very American, NCAA clean-cut preppy American, even has picked up that NCAA lisp and gee gosh tone. MLS is chock full of these guys, all of whom pick my ass

Maybe if you wore clothes when you watched the interviews, they wouldn't pick your ass.

6 hours ago, Güerito said:

I've been four times (x-GF is a pegger) I like the place and met a tonne of people.  However, each time, I had the strangest realization, one specific thing stood out.... people above ~35ish were all extremely polite and friendly, anyone below was a complete and utter jerk.  I always figured it was just coincidence, but each time solidified it.  So weird.

By no means do I stand by this claim or judgement of Peggers, surely just a freak occurence.

Edited by costarg

Cripes if UT moved to Brandon we would practically be neighbors, we could frequent the famous province wide outdoor cafes and enjoy a nice spiked carajillo.  Although maybe I wouldnt because he seems to be working hard to shit on Heibert.  He went to a NCAA school, same as Tajon, Johnston, Kamal, St CLair, Lareaya, Larin etc etc.  Somehow they didnt pick up a NCAA lisp (???? is that even a thing??) and all accepted a call for Canada.  And I guess if your basing everything of a hypothetical question from last week after he agreed to rep canada maybe it seems strange.  But a lot of us remember he said in interviews last year how excited he was to hear the CDN anthem when he was playing for CDN youth teams and how Gale really helped him along.  

And just for the record, he sounds like a nice clean cut mennonite kid (which I am sure he is,) well spoken NCAA soccer all american and academic all american who took accounting in college and is prob as square as he sounds.    

On 3/23/2023 at 3:35 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

That’s what I thought but then you remember Staq is just a half year older and Johnston is a year younger. No shortage of character in the squad. 

21 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Probably their composure/speaking ability above all else.  Just the type of players I imagine alongside Herdman at a press conference and being calming presences in the room. 

Like I said though, tons of character. David for me is too shy to be a captain and Davies has enough pressure. Miller is a good shout too though and even Laryea if he wasn’t such a loose cannon lol 

When I read this I just thought of this quote  "it's funny how we are with these athletes, AD19 has been with the national team programs since he was 15. And he's full of life, full of personalities a gregarious sort and almost the more gregarious he got, and the more full of life he got everybody wants to settle him down. Everybody talks about Staq or Johnson I can tell you this right now, there's another example that's come into the team that maybe he should try to duplicate so that he could become the future captain and that is a the defender we've come to see in Heibert. Represented Canada at an early age, put his head down and was missed when he was younger but he does everything on and off the field the white way the right way and he endures himself to his teammates.

37 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Cripes if UT moved to Brandon we would practically be neighbors, we could frequent the famous province wide outdoor cafes and enjoy a nice spiked carajillo.  Although maybe I wouldnt because he seems to be working hard to shit on Heibert.  He went to a NCAA school, same as Tajon, Johnston, Kamal, St CLair, Lareaya, Larin etc etc.  Somehow they didnt pick up a NCAA lisp (???? is that even a thing??) and all accepted a call for Canada.  And I guess if your basing everything of a hypothetical question from last week after he agreed to rep canada maybe it seems strange.  But a lot of us remember he said in interviews last year how excited he was to hear the CDN anthem when he was playing for CDN youth teams and how Gale really helped him along.  

And just for the record, he sounds like a nice clean cut mennonite kid (which I am sure he is,) well spoken NCAA soccer all american and academic all american who took accounting in college and is prob as square as he sounds.    

Good on the carajillo, that was a quality rhetorical appeal to catch my attention.