Kyle Hiebert

Big_M

20 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I also read he’s two footed, which is a dream for a CB.

Aren't all pro soccer players two-footed. It would be real difficult to kick a ball on just one foot.

Joking aside, I agree with your post.

23 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If you read his story he’s not a traditional “late bloomer”.

He’s dealt with adversity his entire career. First having to earn a scholarship out of Manitoba, then with 2 season ending injuries in his first 2 years of university. Then he gets back on his feet, plays through pandemic adversity, dominates to the point he is one of the best defenders in the nation and yet goes undrafted. Finds a team that will give him a shot, takes it and here we are. 

So he went from being a top player in Manitoba to being a top player in NCAA to being in the MLS Next best XI to being a starter in MLS. So his entire career has been a constant upward trajectory, he just had a few bumps that delayed him. Will be interesting to see how much further he can climb.

That is really encouraging to hear - and makes me mapping that he is being integrated into the Nat set up at the earliest opportunity.   

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

According to his college profile he's strong with both feet but his dominant foot is his right.

If that is correct then he's not strictly in competition with Miller/Kennedy/Cornelius but rather with Zator/Waterman/Henry as a backup/successor to Vitoria.

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I keep seeing that he is left footed, maybe thats cause he was playing on the left side??  But in college I am sure I read he was right footed but very good with left as you did canadaFan.  Watching him play its hard to tell.  And i totally agree with the "late bloomer" tag.  If he lived in Hamilton or Brampton he would have been ID'd by a academy, got exposure, mb skipped college etc.  But he started at the lowest rung he could have so he had to excel at every level (which he did) to finally get his shot in MLS.  

According to his Wiki, he started playing the sport at Linden Woods CC here in Winnipeg. My twin and I played out of that CC a couple of years when we couldn't find enough players to field a team for Fort Garry. Though in later years, cause we were too crappy to make the teams that had cuts. Lol.

Nice to see a Pegger get the call. South End represent!

14 hours ago, Wingback6 said:

According to his Wiki, he started playing the sport at Linden Woods CC here in Winnipeg. My twin and I played out of that CC a couple of years when we couldn't find enough players to field a team for Fort Garry. Though in later years, cause we were too crappy to make the teams that had cuts. Lol.

Nice to see a Pegger get the call. South End represent!

Love our core from the East but some of us Westerners peppered in the mix is always nice to see.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I dont know, Zator, Adekugbe, Kennedy are all Calgary boys, Davies from Edmonton, Hiebert from MB.   Brampton might be the the real hot spot, but if you are looking for a defender, out west is the way to go!  

Just say Alberta…the term “out west”sounds like BC is included in that  and we know how that goes.🤭

HAHA, not sure where your at Shway, but out west does not include BC.  BC is their own thing. I guess it should be mid-west like they say in USA.  

Just like I heard on here that "maritimes" apparently doesnt include NFLD.  This site is a great place to learn and share.    

1 minute ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

You didn't learn that in school?  Would have thought that was common knowledge.

I dont want to tell you what us stubble jumpers call guys from NFLD when they are not looking.  See I'm trying to calm down, love my brothers and foster a sense of national unity after posting/reading that CSA vs Players thread.  

On 3/23/2023 at 3:35 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

That’s what I thought but then you remember Staq is just a half year older and Johnston is a year younger. No shortage of character in the squad. 

I know it’s just preference, but what is this based on?

Jw…Is Davies, David, or Miller too much character? 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

I know it’s just preference, but what is this based on?

Jw…Is Davies, David, or Miller too much character? 

Probably their composure/speaking ability above all else.  Just the type of players I imagine alongside Herdman at a press conference and being calming presences in the room. 

Like I said though, tons of character. David for me is too shy to be a captain and Davies has enough pressure. Miller is a good shout too though and even Laryea if he wasn’t such a loose cannon lol