CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

11 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

Any thoughts on how we line up? With Miller kinda injured, Kennedy coming back from injury, Hoilett out and both Larin and David in form, do we run a 4-4-2?

--------------Borjan ---------------

Laryea - Johnston - Vitoria - Adekugbe

Tajon - Eustaquio - Kone - Davies

--------- Larin --- David -----------

If its 4-4-2....

Johnston will be RB.
Vitoria RCB.
Corneilus at LCB. 

everything else I would go with.

3 minutes ago, red card said:

Panama's friendly at Argentina had 1.5 million in the queue for tickets priced US$59-241. Capacity is 83k.

There was also 131k requests for media accreditation.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/argentina-friendly-sold-out-ticket-frenzy-2023-03-16/

Who knew Panama was such a big draw

7 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Cavallini apparently not fit enough to make the squad but is starting tonight for Tijuana 🤔

I, personally,  believe that it is time to move on from Cavallini for a bit..... give others an opportunity to show. Plenty of Mexican strikers in Liga MX don't get called for the Mexican National Team so Cavallini shouldn't automatically make it based on playing in that league. I believe the "brotherhood" led to his spot in Qatar, not his sparkling performances. Brym has upside to explore and, perhaps, Akinola deserves an opportunity to take part. I can't see Cavallini being a part of the squad long term on the trajectory we hope the CMNT will take towards 2026.

7 hours ago, red card said:

Panama's friendly at Argentina had 1.5 million in the queue for tickets priced US$59-241. Capacity is 83k.

There was also 131k requests for media accreditation.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/argentina-friendly-sold-out-ticket-frenzy-2023-03-16/

Love the choice of opponent from Argentina. 

Good enough to not be a complete waste of time. Bad enough to guarentee fans get a multi-goal win from their World Cup winning heros. 

11 hours ago, Onelessstar said:

I, personally,  believe that it is time to move on from Cavallini for a bit..... give others an opportunity to show. Plenty of Mexican strikers in Liga MX don't get called for the Mexican National Team so Cavallini shouldn't automatically make it based on playing in that league. I believe the "brotherhood" led to his spot in Qatar, not his sparkling performances. Brym has upside to explore and, perhaps, Akinola deserves an opportunity to take part. I can't see Cavallini being a part of the squad long term on the trajectory we hope the CMNT will take towards 2026.

I couldn't disagree more. Cav actually had his best season in MLS leading up to the world cup. 

Akinola has not done anything to deserve a spot. 

Cav will be 33 come 2026 world cup. He still has plenty of legs left. 

Also if we have a player starting consistently in Liga MX, hes getting called up. We dont have the depth that Mexico has to look over that. 

Edited by king1010

Just now, king1010 said:

He is also the sort of guy who can rage his way into an extra gear when needed.  Regardless of age, he shows a level of drive and hunger I just don’t see from some of the other guys.  In 2026 he isn’t going to be starting for us but I agree that he could still be in the mix for a prominent sub role - especially considering some of the other options.  Akinola, Jebbo, Ugbo and Brym may or may not continue progressing beyond their current level - if Jebbo even commits.   The fact is that right now, Cav is our third best striker and he has to be displaced for that to change.   

As for the upcoming window, I trust Herdman to work with the players to determine who needs to come to ensure the result and who can (or should) stay at they clubs to keep their momentum.   That applies to a regular like Cav as well as young guys like Shaff.  

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

Love the choice of opponent from Argentina. 

Good enough to not be a complete waste of time. Bad enough to guarentee fans get a multi-goal win from their World Cup winning heros. 

Reminds me of our visit to the El Monumental just prior to the 2010 World Cup.

Edited by BearcatSA

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Weah just took a big-ass body check in the Lille game.  Still down after a few minutes.   The US may lose him if it is serious.   

the commentator said he lost consciousness, but I wasn't sure... looked like he just got his bell rung.

On 3/18/2023 at 9:35 AM, king1010 said:

I couldn't disagree more. Cav actually had his best season in MLS leading up to the world cup. 

Akinola has not done anything to deserve a spot. 

Also if we have a player starting consistently in Liga MX, hes getting called up. We dont have the depth that Mexico has to look over that. 

I suspect Cav was left off to let him fully integrate into his new club, not because Akinola suddenly leapfrogged him on the depth chart. Herdman has made these kind of calls before, leaving guys off the roster who are at new clubs or are coming back from injury and hoping to regain their place.

12 minutes ago, Wasp said:

I suspect Cav was left off to let him fully integrate into his new club, not because Akinola suddenly leapfrogged him on the depth chart. Herdman has made these kind of calls before, leaving guys off the roster who are at new clubs or are coming back from injury and hoping to regain their place.

This all makes sense, but Herdman and KJ said he was left off due to injury, which is the concerning part.

49 minutes ago, Goal_Kick said:

A question:  what is the difference between the CONCACAF Nations League tournament and the Gold Cup tournament?  They both seem to be regional tournaments of CONCACAF teams.  It seems odd to have two similar tournaments in the same year.

one is over one international window, the other over the course of multiple. 

same question can be posed to euro cup and euro nations league