CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

Kamal Miller is out for Montreal this weekend.

Guess he will miss this window too

Good thing we are 3 deep for left center backs. I expect Cornelius to get called and start. Good thing he's playing Cup matches with Malmo right now. 

This may also increase the likelihood of a Heibert call up. 

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Very exciting squad if you're the USA.

Nice to see Trusty finally get a look after playing a lot of minutes for Birmingham City. McKenzie and Genk are having a season, so that's good for him to return. Dest is super talented, but has struggled to play at AC Milan, so that probably raises eyebrows. Perhaps says that USA are deep, but not yet deep enough where they can ignore someone of Dest's talent. If he was playing for Holland no there's way he gets a national team selection right now. Why CCV is not chosen is beyond me, but maybe they just wanted to integrate Robinson and hence sacrificed CVV?

Adams is out injured, so Cardoso is likely his replacement. Sonora probably gets a reward here for declaring USA. Malik Tilman is doing well at Rangers probably the biggest snub in the midfield, but he's super young and already has 4 caps, not the end of the world. Looks like Djordie will have to do more at AZ to get a call...

Up front, nice to see Dike rewarded for finding his goal scoring form. Sargent goals seem to be drying up at Norwich, so perhaps that's why we was left off. Ditto for Pefok at Union Berlin. Zendejas is doing well at Club America. Booth is impressing in Holland.

So, the same core with a few new faces. Hope our roster is similar. We already know Zator got the call with his good play in Poland and sounds like Louturi's play with Ross County will be rewarded. I get the feeling the CB at St. Louis could be another new face for us, but with Zator getting confirmed maybe not?

Sonora was never going to play for Argentina.  Nothing to reward here imo.

Zendejas on the other hand may have been rewarded with the callup after a quick move from Mexico in recent months.  However, starting for Club America on the regular likely warrants a callup anyways.

2 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Good day, Ivan,

Is there any chance that Stefan will or can switch to Canada?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Good day Stoppage Time,

Stefan can still switch to Canada as long as he plays no more than 3 matches for Serbia before the age of 21.  So I would say there's a chance, as long as he's good enough.  Will have to beat out Staq and Kone at least!

7 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Good day Stoppage Time,

Stefan can still switch to Canada as long as he plays no more than 3 matches for Serbia before the age of 21.  So I would say there's a chance, as long as he's good enough.  Will have to beat out Staq and Kone at least!

Just to be clear - you are not dad-Ivan, correct? 

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Hard to say he won't get time until we get confirmation of who else gets called. IF there is no Vitoria or Waterman it boosts his chances significantly.

Waterman is playing now so I don't see why he wouldn't be called. Assuming he is, Zator would presumably be the backup to Waterman at RCB. That said, it's not like Waterman has a ton of minutes under his belt, nor does he have a wealth of experience with this group, so Zator could potentially earn a start ahead of him in a 3-5-2. Not predicting that necessarily, but it's certainly possibly given Zator's form. 

Now, all of that being said, I think Herdman will likely start with a back 4, with Laryea on the right, Vitoria and Miller in the center, and Adekugbe on the left:

Adekugbe--Miller--Vitoria--Laryea

Then, if we want or need to change to a back 3 (or if we start that way), then out comes Adekugbe and in comes Waterman or Zator:

Davies----------------------------Laryea

-----Miller--Vitoria--Waterman/Zator

Did I miss something regarding Johnston? Despite Bison’s assertions, he’s still our best RCB in a back 3.

19 hours ago, Ivan said:

Good day Stoppage Time,

After playing for Serbia in the NL last September he can't play for anyone else until September 2025 though right? That was the deal with Tomori unless rules have changed or I made them up! Thought you had to wait 3 years since you last appearance to be able to switch and play for someone else?