CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

?? from wiki - Is someone trying to take the piss with the CSA/mens/womens players dispute by inventing friendlies? (I believe Honduras and El Salvador are actually playing a friendly this window).

2023[edit]

March 22Friendly El Salvador 23px-Flag_of_El_Salvador.svg.png v 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada showLos Angeles, United States
March 282022–23 CONCACAF Nations League A Canada 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn v 23px-Flag_of_Honduras.svg.png Honduras showToronto, Ontario

18 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Who are you taking off in a tight game? Golden Boot runner up Jonathan David? World XI Alphonso Davies? La Liga revelation Cyle Larin? 

Herdman's staff seem to have determined that David's effectiveness (due to body type or fitness?) drops off if he plays two full matches within a short timeframe.

If he plays 90 in Curaçao, then you take him off after the 80th minute in Toronto.

15 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Herdman's staff seem to have determined that David's effectiveness (due to body type or fitness?) drops off if he plays two full matches within a short timeframe.

If he plays 90 in Curaçao, then you take him off after the 80th minute in Toronto.

It’s not uncommon either for Lille to take him off early too- he was taken off early last week, yes he had a hat trick and yes they should’ve had the game sealed by then, but that’s a game you let him play 90 and hope he gets a fourth goal or something.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Have the other keepers made 11 appearances as England’s youth internationals though?

Canada’s player pool isn’t so deep as to not go after dual nationals who have gotten call ups to England’s youth teams.

Unless it’s u21, the fact he played for England youth means absolutely nothing honestly. Guyana has players who played for England youth at higher levels. 

1 minute ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Dawns on me, too, that some of the guys on the roster are not expected to see the field at all, unless we're blowing out someone. These are squad guys willing to ride the pine and make up the numbers during training. Cause Ayo is not making any sense to me, as are a few of the omissions.

That’s the only thing that makes sense because all else being equal Akinola being called in is offensive to those left out. Maybe he left a bit impression in Bahrain. Cannot believe the Shaffelburg omission.

McGill is a terrible call up and even worse than Busti in 2018 because now we actually have options. Not to mention one was an 18 year old with Juventus… 

30 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Dawns on me, too, that some of the guys on the roster are not expected to see the field at all, unless we're blowing out someone. These are squad guys willing to ride the pine and make up the numbers during training. Cause Ayo is not making any sense to me, as are a few of the omissions.

As @Kadenge mentioned not too long ago, Ayo probably doesn’t even travel to Curaçao and his home base is in Toronto so calling him in as the 23rd man on the roster is a safe move and likely saves money on travel costs etc.  If the game was in Vancouver, maybe we’d see a player like Raposo (although Ayo has CMNT history unlike Raposo, so who knows).  That makes the most sense to me though.  

Edited by Corazon

The notion this will save “travel costs” is a simple view 

Each V’s section behind the goal will cumulatively drop 20k in beer, food and merch  at the game , so 1 player not going on a pre paid charter flight to transport the team  is relative    nickels and dimes in the big picture 

plane cost is the same with 23 or 24 players on board ( excluding administrative)

4 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

Each V’s section behind the goal will cumulatively drop 20k in beer, food and merch  at the game , so 1 player not going on a pre paid charter flight to transport the team  is relative    nickels and dimes in the big picture 

plane cost is the same with 23 or 24 players on board ( excluding administrative)

Well I know that in the past this has been true and confirmed.  I’m just speculating here for Ayo but I wouldn’t be surprised by CSA with anything at this point.

2 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

I think that is the correct view.  Didnt you watch the hearings..there is no money, they are skimping on everything.  Herdman calls up guys that are hurt every camp so it looks like a full camp but isnt.  Wait and see how many guys dont get on that flight.  I bet its more like 19 players go.  And it doesnt matter how much money gets made on the game at TO, they'll need all of it for next the summer.   

@Bison44 you are a good follow here 

but respectfully disagree 

I flew today from YYZ to YEG 

plane not full but it took off so fixed costs for AC the same full or 3/4 full 

So a charter to next game v Curaco =same principle 

and 1 -3 rooms or less or not at Delta downtown does not move the cost needle IMO materially 

Could be a “Herdman thing” to bring more players into camp but watching the you tube show Canada soccer put out b4 World Cup, seemed extra space was on those flights 

Just now, Markoaleks said:

but respectfully disagree 

Of course..always respectful! You are right about the flights, its a silly spot to try and save money, but like Mr Burns says, you dont get rich by writing cheques. 

It just seems to me they never call a full camp, call guys who are hurt and dont travel etc.  If its not for saving money, then its even more frustrating.  

On 2/27/2023 at 9:22 PM, blueseeka said:

Looks like they blocked off the upper deck for the game on ticketmaster.

When the tickets went on sale I bought a seat in the 17th row of the upper level (section 209) on the east side of the stadium. 
I dislike sitting in the first few rows of the lower level, and I always want to be at least 20 rows up or higher where I can see both ends. 
It took Ticketmaster until yesterday morning to send an email telling me my seat had been relocated (I assume because the upper level will now be closed off). The new location they had assigned me, without any consultation with me, is a seat in the first few rows near the north end, exactly the type of seat I dislike and would never voluntarily choose to buy. 

The email contained this sentence: "If you prefer a refund, please contact Fan Support before the event to request one." I filled in the contact form, and told them I would like to be moved to an upper row of the same (now 100 level) section if that was possible and it would involve no additional cost to me, or if not possible please refund my money. I received a reply saying my relocation request would cost me an additional $60.75 (including a $10 "relocation fee"). I asked for a refund, and was then told "The Event Organizer is not allowing refunds, but ... both Transfer Tickets and Sell Tickets are available on your order." In other words, I can give away the ticket or try reselling it on their site, and I'm guessing with a such a low demand for tickets this would in practice amount to the same thing.  

There will probably be enough empty seats that I will just wander up to a higher one with a better view anyway. But the whole situation has not left me feeling eager to buy a ticket in the future, with this dishonest attempt to squeeze more money out of people who have already bought and paid for a ticket. 

Edit; 28 March 2023: Eventually, after I contacted Canada Soccer, they were able to get Ticketmaster to move my seat location.

Edited by Heepster

3 minutes ago, Heepster said:

When the tickets went on sale I bought a seat in the 17th row of the upper level (section 209) on the east side of the stadium. 
I dislike sitting in the first few rows of the lower level, and I always want to be at least 20 rows up or higher where I can see both ends. 
It took Ticketmaster until yesterday morning to send an email telling me my seat had been relocated (I assume because the upper level will now be closed off). The new location they had assigned me, without any consultation with me, is a seat in the first few rows near the north end, exactly the type of seat I dislike and would never voluntarily choose to buy. 
This email contained this sentence: "If you prefer a refund, please contact Fan Support before the event to request one." I filled in the contact form, and told them I would like to be moved to an upper row of the same (now 100 level) section if that was possible and it would involve no addition cost to me, or if not possible please refund my money. 

I received a reply saying my relocation request would cost an addition $60.75 (including a $10 "relocation fee"). I asked for a refund, and was then told "The Event Organizer is not allowing refunds, but ... both Transfer Tickets and Sell Tickets are available on your order." In other words, I can give away the ticket or try reselling it on their site, and I'm guessing with a such a low demand for tickets this would in practice amount to the same thing. 
There will probably be enough empty seats that I will just wander up to a higher one with a better view anyway. But the whole situation has not left me feeling eager to buy a ticket in the future.

TFC match last Saturday they were giving buy 3/ get 1 free deal

maybe this Saturday it will be BOGO?

Any thoughts on how we line up? With Miller kinda injured, Kennedy coming back from injury, Hoilett out and both Larin and David in form, do we run a 4-4-2?

--------------Borjan ---------------

Laryea - Johnston - Vitoria - Adekugbe

Tajon - Eustaquio - Kone - Davies

--------- Larin --- David -----------