CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

McGill won’t even think about seeing the pitch. These are important games and we have two very good keepers ahead of him. McGill is taking the koleosho spot.

Has anyone followed him much? He’s turning 23 next week and still with the U21s, but he seemed to have made the bench a bunch for the senior team cup matches recently.

I was reading up on the Brighton & Hove articles.  Apparently he’s their 3rd keeper and he’s made the game day roster a number of times.

They just swapped out their starter with their 2nd stringer due to inconsistent play.  The backup keeper is 32.  He’s considered the keeper in the wings for the team apparently.  I don’t really follow that club so maybe someone else can fill it in a bit.

5 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

McGill is there because he has 11 caps with England’s Youth teams and to cap tie him.  It’s not like we have any other keepers who are playing on the U-23 team of a Premier League team.

He could be one for the future and he has huge upside.  If he wants to represent us, we have to roll the dice.

What exactly about him screams huge upside? He’s an overager and his only pro appearance was a 35-minute cameo for a League 2 side a couple years ago. Btw there are 2 other Canadian-eligible keepers playing in the same division as him. Not saying they deserve call-ups, just correcting your mistake.

1 minute ago, phresh said:

What exactly about him screams huge upside? He’s an overager and his only pro appearance was a 35-minute cameo for a League 2 side a couple years ago. Btw there are 2 other Canadian-eligible keepers playing in the same division as him. Not saying they deserve call-ups, just correcting your mistake.

I’m okay with this being the 3rd keeper and potential upside still.  However, pulling Odunze or Goodman would have me a little more excited.

6 minutes ago, phresh said:

Have the other keepers made 11 appearances as England’s youth internationals though?

Canada’s player pool isn’t so deep as to not go after dual nationals who have gotten call ups to England’s youth teams.

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Have the other keepers made 11 appearances as England’s youth internationals though?

Canada’s player pool isn’t so deep as to not go after dual nationals who have gotten call ups to England’s youth teams.

If he is here, he's committed.  A guy like Odunze probably still sees his international future elsewhere and has probably let it be known as such.

4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I am not sure what to make of this player based the five or six times I have seen him play significant minutes, but is anyone surprised Choinière didn't get a look here?

Not really. The only player I would think about swapping out is Loturi, which I wouldn't do myself. The kid has earned the call and we should integrate him sooner than later. Choniere isn't going anywhere.

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

If he is here, he's committed.  A guy like Odunze probably still sees his international future elsewhere and has probably let it be known as such.

I think Odunze has let his future be known- he’s played for the US -U20 camp and has also accepted a senior team invite (but not played for them).  Unless something changes I think he’s part of the US setup.

1 minute ago, baulderdash77 said:

Unless something changes I think he’s part of the US setup.

Things can change, for sure.  There are a number of young guys competing in that position of the food chain.  But for now, I am guessing that we have made overtures and he's not into committing.

And at the risk of stating the obvious, all the BS with CSA and CSB clearly hasn’t impacted anyone’s willingness to rep the red and white.   Glad to see it.  there was always the potential that things could get derailed - even if the games this window are important in terms of future opportunities.   

Edited by dyslexic nam

2 game window so David, Larin, Davies, Tajon, Laryea & Adekugbe  are going to get all the mins up front/wingback unless we have a big lead. Shaff deserved a call but if he's not going to get significant mins it's much better for his development to stick with his club and get another start. Same for Sirois. It's likely that Ayo does not travel to Curacao and trains with the team when they get back for Honduras. Same for Miller if he is injured. Perhaps Atiba  announces his retirement at the Honduras game? The inclusion of Zator & Loturi are positives. McGill? but the 3rd keeper isn't playing.

28 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I am not sure what to make of this player based the five or six times I have seen him play significant minutes, but is anyone surprised Choinière didn't get a look here?

Not at all, he's a decent MLS player, but I wouldn't invite him to the NT unless we were dramatically depleted. He's closer to ZBG than he is to anyone on this roster.

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

No Vancouver players.

The Athletic Bilbao of Canada indeed.

I'll be fascinated to see which quote gets mocked more long term: "Athletic Bilbao of Canada" or "Top 25 club in the world". Informally: Athletic Bilbao gets brought up by the rest of Canada while Top 25 was a bigger deal (for being dumb) locally.