CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

Of all the dual nat BS we have spilled virtual ink over, this is the one that genuinely pisses me off. 

Firstly, because it was such a blatantly cynical cap tie by a nation that is absolutely polluted with deep talent.  Six minutes  in a game that was over, and he was then ignored completely by the national team program.  Then they locked it down with another dumb sub appearance in WCQ, but completely left him out of their actual WC squad.      

Secondly, because it was blindingly obvious that this is what they were doing.  The fact that he was immediately ignored after getting 6 minutes of playing time in his first window should have put the writing on the wall.  But it was apparently only clear to everyone else what was going on.  I don't know who his advisors were but man they missed the mark on this one. 

Thirdly because this would have been absolutely monumental for us.  Once Vitoria ages out, we would have gone from sifting through a bunch of hopefuls to having a rock solid CB from a Serie A powerhouse locking down our back line.   

This was THE missing piece of our team.  He would have played in at least two World Cups, and possibly more.  And in a formation using a back 3, this guy could have been the centrepiece that tied it all together.   FUUUUUCK!

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Of all the dual nat BS we have spilled virtual ink over, this is the one that genuinely pisses me off. 

Firstly, because it was such a blatantly cynical cap tie by a nation that is absolutely polluted with deep talent.  Six minutes  in a game that was over, and he was then ignored completely by the national team program.  Then they locked it down with another dumb sub appearance in WCQ, but completely left him out of their actual WC squad.      

Secondly, because it was blindingly obvious that this is what they were doing.  The fact that he was immediately ignored after getting 6 minutes of playing time in his first window should have put the writing on the wall.  But it was apparently only clear to everyone else what was going on.  I don't know who his advisors were but man they missed the mark on this one. 

Thirdly because this would have been absolutely monumental for us.  Once Vitoria ages out, we would have gone from sifting through a bunch of hopefuls to having a rock solid CB from a Serie A powerhouse locking down our back line.   

This was THE missing piece of our team.  He would have played in at least two World Cups, and possibly more.  And in a formation using a back 3, this guy could have been the centrepiece that tied it all together.   FUUUUUCK!

Should Davies have taken the PK at the WC? 

9 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Is there any practical, if tiny, hope for Tomori - number of games payed over time?

I think he is gone permanently according to the rules so barring some sort of special exemption or a change of rules it is over.  His thread was moved to "World Soccer" once this was a done deal. 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

So, Tom McGill as the surprise inclusion?

Loturi and Zator as the additional we knew about.

And the Brym Reaper managers to sneak back onto the plane. 

I’m just happy the nickname is sticking, lol

surprising to see Akinola over Shaffelburg, I guess positions matter, but with David and Larin both super in form, not sure what Akinola is doing here.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

I’m just happy the nickname is sticking, lol

surprising to see Akinola over Shaffelburg, I guess positions matter, but with David and Larin both super in form, not sure what Akinola is doing here.

With Shaff I suspect it is a matter of him having a great streak in Nashville and Herdman wanting him to really cement his place as an MLS up-and-comer.  Position aside (and Brym could be a 3rd striker if needed) there is no way Ayo displaces him on current form.