CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Anything can happen in a one-off game, which is what this is for Mexico. Like Honduras, they only have a single game this window for NL. Like us, Mexico have 2 games with travel. 

By the way, how good is Kaheem Parris? Have never seen him play but noticed he's been with Dynamo Kiev for a while now, which suggests to me he's a good player. Yet, we never hear about him. Case of just overlooking talent? I feel the same goes with Levi Garcia at AEK Athens and (to a lesser extent because he's more well known I feel) Shamar Nicholson with Spartak Moscow.

Parris has potential but he has taken advantage of joining a for obvious reason weaker than usual Dynamo Kyiv.

On the plus side to the slow ticket sales, looks like a bunch of scalpers will get a reality check. I'm seeing on ticketmaster a lot of "verified re-sale" tickets available. Lots of regular tickets available too. There are tickets for "re-sale" priced at $240 per ticket right next to regular tickets for $140 per ticket. Nice try jerks.

16 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Interesting. He’s definitely in Orlando right now so seems likely he’s there for the USMNT. Don’t see why they would be so secretive about it though. 

Is he? Or is this yet another agent play to get a senior England call up? He already said he’s open to playing for Nigeria as well and he’s killing it in France. Would be really strange. 

I saw the picture but to me it doesn’t prove anything. Could have been taken a while ago and posted strategically. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Is he? Or is this yet another agent play to get a senior England call up? He already said he’s open to playing for Nigeria as well and he’s killing it in France. Would be really strange. 

I saw the picture but to me it doesn’t prove anything. Could have been taken a while ago and posted strategically. 

Yes I suppose he could have posted an old photo of him coincidentally in Orlando. Would be pretty ridiculous on his part but not impossible. Alternatively maybe he’s out there to get the lay of the land but isn’t ready to commit yet. 

21 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Yes I suppose he could have posted an old photo of him coincidentally in Orlando. Would be pretty ridiculous on his part but not impossible. Alternatively maybe he’s out there to get the lay of the land but isn’t ready to commit yet. 

I wouldn’t be so cynical if he wasn’t already on the u21 team roster and then dropped off a day or two ago. What changed? Seems a nice way to show your displeasure at being passed over for Toney. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I wouldn’t be so cynical if he wasn’t already on the u21 team roster and then dropped off a day or two ago. What changed? Seems a nice way to show your displeasure at being passed over for Toney. 

Lol....that's not even a real statement. Toney is balling in the premier league, a big reason why Brentford are still in the EPL.
Now if it was Ollie Watkins or Jarrod Bowen....then that would be questionable.

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Lol....that's not even a real statement. Toney is balling in the premier league, a big reason why Brentford are still in the EPL.
Now if it was Ollie Watkins or Jarrod Bowen....then that would be questionable.

I had thought he was a replacement for Rashford but now I see I’m wrong. Nonetheless, Rashford went down - Southgate doesn’t name a replacement and then Balogun leaves England u21s. Coincidence or an ideal play to force a call? Seems smart to me. England just has to panic and call him in now that they see he’s stateside.

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I had thought he was a replacement for Rashford but now I see I’m wrong. Nonetheless, Rashford went down - Southgate doesn’t name a replacement and then Balogun leaves England u21s. Coincidence or an ideal play to force a call? Seems smart to me. England just has to panic and call him in now that they see he’s stateside.

and they probably will, like they usually do.
He probably has a great affinity towards England....but my oh my could he be the difference that the USMNT needs.

England fans dont seem to be particularly fussed about Balogun and I doubt Southgate is. If he's really posting old pictures on his IG to get England to bite I'm guessing those types of move could backfire. I was surprised TOney was called in with potential gambling issues

The odds are very good that Balogun will be back with Arsenal next season. England would be crazy not to  rate him given his current performance and impending return to the EPL. I mean if Jebbo's agent is supposedly telling him to stick with England youth...

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Balogun would be insane to commit to the US right now. He’s 21 and has two fewer goals than David in France. He’s an absolute baller.

That’s why I don’t believe it but they’ve had similar commitments with Musah and Dest that I didn’t expect. I think Balogun is a higher level though. 

53 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He’s 21 and has two fewer goals than David in France.

In France - English don’t rate that league at all. Not saying it’s right but mostly I’m seeing comments about him tearing up a farmers league while he only scored 3 goals in 900 minutes in the Championship last season.  Lacazette’s performance at Lyon this year doesn’t help that perception.
Southgate still ain’t calling Tomori who plays at a much better club and level so I don’t see him making any commitment to Balogun until he moves on from Ligue 1.

8 hours ago, narduch said:

Looks like One Soccer's schedule is updated. 

They will show Suriname v Mexico tomorrow and Grenada v USA in Friday. 

There's a half hour pre and post show for the Canada game on Saturday 

OS is also showing Mexico v Jamaica live on Sunday night. And USA v El Salvador on Monday night.

Rest are replays and/or on demand (if you sub to OS directly). 

There are 4 replays on Saturday morning starting at 4 EDT. French Guiana v DR at 11 maybe the best of the lot. 

Will have to see if Concacaf Youtube is unblocked for the other matches.

4 months ago, we were following our MNT at the World Cup. Now it's back to wondering which non-FIFA members might qualify for the Gold Cup. Reality sure hits hard sometimes.

Of the 4 non-FIFA members, French Guiana is currently best positioned for a direct spot, 3 points ahead of Guatemala with 2 matches to play. French Guiana plays a home match against Dominican Republic on Friday. Guatemala plays in Belize. French Guiana and Guatemala face each other in Guatemala to end the group stage on Monday.

Cuba and Guadeloupe are currently tied on points with 2 matches to play. Guadeloupe plays a home match against Antigua and Barbuda on Thursday. Cuba plays in Barbados. Guadeloupe and Cuba face each other in Cuba to end the group stage on Sunday.

As of right now, it looks like Martinique and Bonaire will probably be in the qualification round for the final 3 Gold Cup spots. With a bit of luck, maybe 2 of the non-FIFA members will have to play each other.

Edited by Neil R.

7 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Balogun would be insane to commit to the US right now. He’s 21 and has two fewer goals than David in France. He’s an absolute baller.

The moment Balogun commits to the US their fans will get all uppity about how they now have the best 9 in concacaf, even better than David. You just watch!