CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The Gold Cup is clearly more prestigious, given that the nations league acts as qualifiers to it there really isn’t a question. 

I don't see it being that clear cut.

Yes, NL is a qualifier for the GC, but it's also a qualifier for the NL final four, which is really what we are talking about here. Nobody gets a trophy for the group stage and the final four is in a separate window and feels very much like a separate event, likely by desgin.

Thie NL group stage are  qualifiers for the 2 biggest conacaf events: GC and NL Final Four. This is how I see it.

Since the teams competing in the final four are the best teams in the region, separated from the minnows by multiple months and windows, it feels prestegious to me and so I go back and forth about which one is actually most important right now. I see arguments for both and for me one isn't clearly more important thab the other. 

25 minutes ago, Shway said:

image.png.7a186be5ce3462c89080f08c2449d5d5.png

Jamaica is targeting some younger duals vs going for the experienced ones. However I think there's some good balance in the squad.....enough to beat an old aging core Mexico is another story.

Anything can happen in a one-off game, which is what this is for Mexico. Like Honduras, they only have a single game this window for NL. Like us, Mexico have 2 games with travel. 

By the way, how good is Kaheem Parris? Have never seen him play but noticed he's been with Dynamo Kiev for a while now, which suggests to me he's a good player. Yet, we never hear about him. Case of just overlooking talent? I feel the same goes with Levi Garcia at AEK Athens and (to a lesser extent because he's more well known I feel) Shamar Nicholson with Spartak Moscow.

Clark
 Lembisika Pinnock Lowe Bell
Reed Paris Morrison
Bailey Nicholson Lowe 

Prem - 5
Championship - 2
MLS - 2
Russia - 1 
Ukraine - 1 

Missing - Antonio, Gray, Flemmings, Ximines, Roberts, Splatt, Cassanova, Hutchinson (all are either div 1 europe or prem prospects)

It seems like jamaica has more players in europe than we do. Our best are way better than their best, and our floor is higher than theirs, but there is a case to be made that the jamaica starting 11 on paper is similar to us.

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

No Andre Blake is concerning for them.

Is that a “protesting-the-JFF” absence, or is he injured? Philly played Bendik against CFMTL but I only watched highlights because it wasn’t free so I’m wondering if he’s hurt. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Anything can happen in a one-off game, which is what this is for Mexico. Like Honduras, they only have a single game this window for NL. Like us, Mexico have 2 games with travel.

Very true. And Mexico is playing without fans too (puta WC chants). I hope Jamaica can pull it off.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

By the way, how good is Kaheem Parris? Have never seen him play but noticed he's been with Dynamo Kiev for a while now, which suggests to me he's a good player. Yet, we never hear about him. Case of just overlooking talent? I feel the same goes with Levi Garcia at AEK Athens and (to a lesser extent because he's more well known I feel) Shamar Nicholson with Spartak Moscow.

He’s alright, I don’t rate him as much as I do Nicholson but that could be based on opportunity. He’s a victim of numbers game with guys like Gray, and Antonio being preferred. Shamar has also fell into this as well, although he would still get called up he was forced out wide, when he’s more of a classic #9. Issue with Jamaica is they have similar players even without Michail and Andre being in the squad between Burke and Shamar. Big 6’4 strikers…Kaheem Paris is faster, and plays in behind vs the others.

49 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Clark
 Lembisika Pinnock Lowe Bell
Reed Paris Morrison
Bailey Nicholson Lowe 

I know you’re putting more stock on the “prem” players but those young boys won’t start. Their squad will look more like this:

Knight
Brown, Lowe, Pinnock, Bell
Johnston, Reid, Morrison
Bailey, Nicholson, Lowe

Solid team…on paper. They are still missing a midfield destroyer. And Lambert isn’t it.

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

I know you’re putting more stock on the “prem” players but those young boys won’t start. Their squad will look more like this:

Knight
Brown, Lowe, Pinnock, Bell
Johnston, Reid, Morrison
Bailey, Nicholson, Lowe

Solid team…on paper. They are still missing a midfield destroyer. And Lambert isn’t it.

I trust you know more about the jamaican team than I do, but my uneducated line up just differs by 2 players so still quite a few prem/championship players.

My point though is we have corbeanu, Kone and jebbison as prospects in first/second div of england. (plus some GK). However, that's really it at this point. Jamaica has loads of prem prospects. Obviously most will likely flame out, but I am surprised that jamiaca isnt better since they have so many prem players (both prospects and veterans).