CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

4 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

AGR - “Canada expected to dominate Honduras in the second game.”  What am I missing here?  They literally beat Canada in the last match and arguably deserved to win the last game from BMO (Borjan saved us in that one).  I really hope that these media members aren’t in for a huge wake up call on this team.

I agree but the last match against them is tough to call a “match” really. Sort of like Estonia away in 2008. 

Looks like once again Suriname couldn't score. Different game, same story. 

Watched bits and pieces of the game, and the highlights, and Suriname continue to impress me. They went toe-to-toe with Mexico. If they can get a couple of solid strikers they could challenge to be a top 6 team in this region. I hope the youngish guys like Becker, Dankerlui, Pinas etc. continue to show up, as they are all on the right side of 30. I want to see what these guys can do this cycle and see if they can make a challenge to at least get to the final stages of WC qualification. 

What I am struck by going into this window is how really none of the favoured teams were a sure thing.

Unlike what was posted above, if Jamaica beat Mexico they go to the final four. 

If El Salvador beat the States, the same. And if Honduras defeats Canada. Same if Panama beat Costa Rica, which would not be as big an upset.

We could have Jamaica, El Salvador and Honduras in the finals together with Panama, and the four teams at Qatar scrambling next year to qualify for the Copa America (unless the damn Yanks as host get a free pass).

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

honduras Will be without Alberth Elis since he lost his green card- that really sucks. He’s in Ligue 1 for Brest, so not a bad player at all.

I’ve always rated him but he’s not really in form and even missed the match last time we played them in Toronto. 

Wonder if he tries Roxham road? 

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I’ve always rated him but he’s not really in form and even missed the match last time we played them in Toronto. 

Wonder if he tries Roxham road? 

Didn’t violette AC almost have to forfeit their away against Austin last week due to too few players having visas? I think they were able to expedite some for that purpose.

8 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Didn’t violette AC almost have to forfeit their away against Austin last week due to too few players having visas? I think they were able to expedite some for that purpose.

Their solution was to sign short term contracts to a couple of New York based players that had played with Violette in the past. Apparently they saw this coming far enough in advance that they had the guys (and I think a few others) on their player lists that they had to submit to CONCACAF before the CCL started.

45 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

If anyone has links to a stream for the Nicaragua match and the Guatemala match, legal or otherwise, please share.

I cannot find them on OneSoccer or on YouTube.

Here's Nicaragua even though it says Guatemala.

https://streamgoto.lc/4d_4

OneSoccer is showing them at 900 & 1100 EDT on Sunday morning.

On 3/23/2023 at 9:43 PM, Kent said:

Elsewhere, in the less sexy parts of the Nations League.

League C - Saint Kitts and Nevis won against Saint Martin, moving Saint Kitts closer to League B. However, if they lose to Aruba in their next/last game, Aruba will top the group instead. Puerto Rico and Saint Lucia already clinched top of their groups before this window. The only other group looks to me like the weakest of them all, with Bonaire leading the way.

League B - Cuba beat Barbados today 1-0. Cuba are in the drivers seat, 3 points ahead of Antigua and Barbuda as well as Guadeloupe, with a 6 goal advantage in goal difference. French Guiana tied Dominican Republic, after giving up a 94th minute goal. French Guiana are 4 points ahead on top of their group. They can clinch top spot if Belize beats Guatemala in Belize tomorrow.

What I like about Cuba and Antigua and Barbuda winning is there could be one fewer non-FIFA member (Guadeloupe) in contention to qualify for the Gold Cup. If Cuba can take care of business at home over Guadeloupe on Sunday, Antigua and Barbuda would only need a home result over Barbados for Guadeloupe to miss out on the Gold Cup qualification round. A Cuba/Guadeloupe draw and an Antigua and Barbuda win would also do the trick.

Our scenarios for tonight.

If we win, we qualify for the Gold Cup, and a draw on Tuesday would get us to the Nations League semi finals (notice how I didn't say "we only need a" and I didn't mention our opposition).

If we draw, we need a win on Tuesday to make it to the Nations League semi-finals, and we can qualify for the Gold Cup with a 6 goal loss on Tuesday or better.

If we lose, we need to win on Tuesday to wind up in a 3 way tie in the group. Anything less than a win on Tuesday would mean we finish bottom of the group and would have to go to the Gold Cup Prelims to make it to the Gold Cup. Current GD is +3 for us, +1 for Honduras, and -4 for Curacao. It would take a heavy loss against Curacao for us to lose a tiebreaker against either team (keeping in mind winning on Tuesday would mean a 2 goal swing against Honduras for each goal we win by).

I think that's all correct, but let me know if I messed something up.

8 hours ago, Neil R. said:

What I like about Cuba and Antigua and Barbuda winning is there could be one fewer non-FIFA member (Guadeloupe) in contention to qualify for the Gold Cup. If Cuba can take care of business at home over Guadeloupe on Sunday, Antigua and Barbuda would only need a home result over Barbados for Guadeloupe to miss out on the Gold Cup qualification round. A Cuba/Guadeloupe draw and an Antigua and Barbuda win would also do the trick.

If there was ever a time to not care about non-FIFA nations it’s now. Ranking points don’t matter to us this cycle. We want the best opposition possible and looking at the rosters of those non-FIFA nations they’re looking better than most teams.

42 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If there was ever a time to not care about non-FIFA nations it’s now. Ranking points don’t matter to us this cycle. We want the best opposition possible and looking at the rosters of those non-FIFA nations they’re looking better than most teams.

I want better away trip possibilities!

I've been to both Martinique and Guadeloupe and Guyane Française is super far and expensive to get to and doesn't look all that interesting.

Those 3 places also never draw huge crowds for their home games.

We will have to play someone in November, it might as well be a more interesting team.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I tried to watch some of the games on Yotube using a VPN but no country I use seems to work. It's also hidden it seems.

Youtube shows them as live but there's nothing actually to click on their channel.

Have you tried using a completely different browser too?

And a non-CONCACAF country like Japan for example?