CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

21 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I know it loud and clear that Tomori can’t play for Canada as it stands, but I’m curious why Laryea said ‘80%’ on a recent social media post of Tomori and Tomori followed up with the crossed fingers emoticon.

Don't do this. Is there some secret loophole of hope!!!!!!

36 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I know it loud and clear that Tomori can’t play for Canada as it stands, but I’m curious why Laryea said ‘80%’ on a recent social media post of Tomori and Tomori followed up with the crossed fingers emoticon.

There is no emoticon reaction that can explain how that makes me feel.  Is this for real?  Rule change being discussed maybe?  Perhaps Tomori is working on getting himself a passport that makes him a couple years younger to be able to bypass the current 21yr old rules?  Either way, if there is any chance in hell, it's exciting.

The IG post from yesterday that Laryea commented on was an Ike Ugbo post of him and Tomori hanging out- they look like they're good friends, I guess they came up at Chelsea together. Always nice to see dual nationals hanging out with CANMNT guys, but if he's looking for a friend to sing Canada's praises, I think Ugbo probably the last guy to talk to....

As for the 80% comment, that's probably an inside joke. Not to speculate too much, but Ugbo's last post was him basically complaining that he isn't playing, Adekugbe made a comment about it, I think they're probably all friends shooting the shit. 80% could mean that Troyes coach told Ugbo he's only 80% fit, and the boys were laughing about it in the group chat or something. Doneil Henry commented 87% on some other Ugbo post from a few weeks back too.

They're eventually going to have to amend these rules to allow guys like Tomori to switch. They originally amended the rules because Brazil was spamming the world with all these "dual nationals", but now there's the opposite problem- world powers who block players from competing internationally because of some cynical cap tie. FIFA loves money, and they know that a star like Tomori sells more jerseys, draws more fans, and improves Canada a lot more than anything he can do for England by not even getting a call up.

CANMNTUpdates seems to think there's a chance that he can come back to us on a technicality- apparently when the rules were changed in 2020, they allowed some players to still switch, since it would've been impossible for them to know they'd be able to change nations, and thus Tomori could've hypothetically rejected the England call up if he knew that he might be able to play for Canada down the line. He also makes the point that the world cup moving to 48 teams might encourage this. A team like Jamaica can hypothetically qualify with the 4th CONCACAF slot, and they're a team who could probably heavily beef up with English, Irish, American and Canadian duals who have been dropped from their respective nations. Same with Curacao.

Edited by InglewoodJack

He's played the equivalent of 1 game with extra time for England.
There's gotta be a way or a case. It also wouldn't hurt if the CSA looked into the possibility of  this and present it to some sort of tribunal or CAS. 

This maybe a crazy statement but he could be the difference to us becoming a powerhouse in Concacaf.

Edited by Shway

10 minutes ago, Shway said:

He's played the equivalent of 1 game with extra time for England.
There's gotta be a way or a case. It also wouldn't hurt if the CSA looked into the possibility of  this and present it to some sort of tribunal or CAS. 

This maybe a crazy statement but he could be the difference to us becoming a powerhouse in Concacaf.

Yeah the shift to it being a minute minimum vs number of games would be a game changer.  Would stop teams from throwing someone on the field in extra time to cap time them.

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It’s one thing thing to talk about Tomori in the dark bowels of the World Soccer forum, but to be waving around this sort of agonizing false hope in the unblemished purity of the CMNT section is truly disappointing.   I expected better.  

I blame @trc2014 he started this. 
I didn't even realize it was on Ugbo's post about the whole 80%. I thought it was on Tomori's, and there was some kind of interaction.  SIKE.

19 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

It’s one thing thing to talk about Tomori in the dark bowels of the World Soccer forum, but to be waving around this sort of agonizing false hope in the unblemished purity of the CMNT section is truly disappointing.   I expected better.  

Better this than Arfield talk

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

All his appearances were friendlies i believe

Edit - I believe he was younger than 21 for all appearances so he filed a 1 time switch.

He was 21 at the time of all 3 caps. 2 friendlies, 1 euro qualifier. Normally wouldn’t be able to switch but I think they let everyone with 3 or less caps at the time of the rule change switch. Tomori played again for England after the rule had been changed and he was fully aware that it would tie him to them forever. Regardless, there’s no reason to believe he’d even want to play for us anyways. He had to know that there was a good chance that England would ignore him again, like they did after his first cap. And he still chose to play for them instead of us.

Ugbo isn’t done with Canada, there’s no way in Herdmanns right mind he would pick Akinola over Ugbo right now. I hope it’s just something they communicated mutually and Ugbo truly isn’t fit and just gonna take a break to try to get better and back in form with Troyes. The best possible situation is that there truly is a work around Canada is working on and Ugbo has been tasked with helping recruit Tomori. I don’t think there’s a good reason to think Ugbo hasnt liked his time with Canada, Laryea, Henry and more commenting on his Instagram which seem to be inside jokes or information, Hes had a good amount of chances with Canada and has been underwhelming but he got to go to the World Cup and if I remember correctly in the bench view of our first goal he seemed super stoked. If Tomori is somehow still eligible and willing to play for Canada that would be absolutely incredible and would maybe become our most important player so if there’s a chance I really hope we can get it done.

34 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Suriname looks real good.  Their keeper’s first cap and he is looking solid out there in such a high profile game.

Wooops.

Was hoping Suriname pulled off a result to make it easier for Jamaica.

Elsewhere, in the less sexy parts of the Nations League.

League C - Saint Kitts and Nevis won against Saint Martin, moving Saint Kitts closer to League B. However, if they lose to Aruba in their next/last game, Aruba will top the group instead. Puerto Rico and Saint Lucia already clinched top of their groups before this window. The only other group looks to me like the weakest of them all, with Bonaire leading the way.

League B - Cuba beat Barbados today 1-0. Cuba are in the drivers seat, 3 points ahead of Antigua and Barbuda as well as Guadeloupe, with a 6 goal advantage in goal difference. French Guiana tied Dominican Republic, after giving up a 94th minute goal. French Guiana are 4 points ahead on top of their group. They can clinch top spot if Belize beats Guatemala in Belize tomorrow.

AGR - “Canada expected to dominate Honduras in the second game.”  What am I missing here?  They literally beat Canada in the last match and arguably deserved to win the last game from BMO (Borjan saved us in that one).  I really hope that these media members aren’t in for a huge wake up call on this team.