CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Twitter is insane. I saw complaining that were still starting Borjan and it’s like, fine, who would you prefer? His backup, who broke his leg in like 4 places? Let me just go to my keeper tree and pluck a nice premier league keeper that I’ve been saving for this exact occasion 

Weird that Twitter wouldn't be the locus of common sense and calm reactions...

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Twitter is insane. I saw complaining that were still starting Borjan and it’s like, fine, who would you prefer? His backup, who broke his leg in like 4 places? Let me just go to my keeper tree and pluck a nice premier league keeper that I’ve been saving for this exact occasion 

Goes to show how many fairweather fans there are out there.  Probably only watched our World Cup games (which Borjan did disappoint) but didn’t watch a single minute of him carrying us during qualification.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Really hasn't been playing a lot since they changed managers.

Not starting today again by the way 

Nor has he been producing, outside of the X stats. 
He's been having a really underwhelming season....which is a result of his team doing bad as well.

I am a firm believer in bringing the best players based on recent performances.  Injuries aside, Herdman has missed a few players for me but I do like the integration of some new blood.  

I am okay with McGill considering he is young and attached to a solid club.  A healthy Crepeau rounds out a solid trio of keepers for us.  Some decent prospects in the pipeline but those three are well ahead of everyone else currently.

Millar, Wotherspoon, Fraser and Ugbo left out for lack of playing time so I get it.    Hoilett & Piette injured so that makes sense as well. A little surprised Cavallini and Shaffelburg aren’t there especially when Akinola was called in.  Those would be my two main snubs on this roster based on early season form.

Edit - sounds like Cavallini is injured which is a relief all things considering.  Shaffelburg definitely deserved the call but I am also on board with him cementing a starting role in Nashville which he clearly has been doing to start the season.  The rest of the omissions I somewhat understand.

Edited by Corazon

Putting aside the fact that he's coming back from injury, I would think it would be better for Akinola to get the opportunity to put in some minutes with TFC, rather than being a body to fill out training with the CMNT.  I can't see how he sees the pitch, except in some possible mop up minutes vs Curacao.  Head scratcher.

5 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

What does Brym have on Herdman?!😁

Ayo is an odd call as well.  McGill... doesn't even have a professional appearance.

McGill is there because he has 11 caps with England’s Youth teams and to cap tie him.  It’s not like we have any other keepers who are playing on the U-23 team of a Premier League team.

He could be one for the future and he has huge upside.  If he wants to represent us, we have to roll the dice.

Just now, baulderdash77 said:

McGill is there because he has 11 caps with England’s Youth teams and to cap tie him.  It’s not like we have any other keepers who are playing on the U-23 team of a Premier League team.

He could be one for the future and he has huge upside.  If he wants to represent us, we have to roll the dice.

Does that mean you think he's going to start a game?  Or are we going to see a 90' keeper substitution?

McGill won’t even think about seeing the pitch. These are important games and we have two very good keepers ahead of him. McGill is taking the koleosho spot.

Has anyone followed him much? He’s turning 23 next week and still with the U21s, but he seemed to have made the bench a bunch for the senior team cup matches recently.