Sondre Solholm

Atlantic

On 12/16/2021 at 11:09 PM, Shway said:

Hahahahahaha gap left by whooooo….

stop the nonsense, Ferreira was given an opportunity that should’ve been given to Rocco Romeo if you get my gist. 

fine, gap *on the depth chart* left by Ferreira's ACL blowing up/once SV retires ;)

On 12/16/2021 at 11:19 PM, Shway said:

Watching the video, and this guys sounds like he’s been In Canada.

Im not master of languages, but does Norwegian English sound like that?

The fact that he’s 26, and features in the SPFL for a top team is absolutely massive.

The more the merrier. 

Norwegian English accents vary heavily — most angle closer to an American accent, but re: Sondre, his entire family went to college in the US, which should explain why his accent is that way

On 12/17/2021 at 9:02 AM, VinceA said:

Do we even know if he or his agent have contacted the CSA? Or if Canada knows about him. This video just sounds like wishful thinking. I don't think a call-up next month is imminent or anything unless others start to report on it. I imagine we will find out more on Northern Futbol when they interview him.

I'd love to have him in camp. Mainly because I love how just diverse the names on our squad are. It's so fun.

CSA are presumably aware of him, based on certain indications/assumptions (read: there's interactions from CSA staff on some of the tweets on Sondre)

Edited by bfque8

On 12/17/2021 at 5:05 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think his surname is Jacobsen and that also needs to be used. Norwegians often actively use two first names, e.g. Tore Andre Flo. Motherwell fans seem to rate him from what I read elsewhere.

@jordan already confirmed this, but in Sondre's case, it's Sondre | Solholm Johansen (two last names), although he prefers to drop the Johansen and just goes by "Sondre Solholm" — Norwegian name customs differ wildly because they're largely a mix between patrynomic/matrynomic (ie. names being after their parents, so Johansen would be the son (-sen) of Johan, for example), names that were based either on location or occupation, and people adopting the system that gets used in most countries where the last name is passed down through generations (ie. what we have in Canada).

Edited by bfque8

On 12/16/2021 at 5:20 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Link to the documentary in YouTube:

1) His link to Canada is through his mother's mother ( maternal grandmother ). As long as his maternal grandmother was born in Canada, we're good!

2) His grandmother's brother wrote this book:

https://www.amazon.ca/Over-Wire-Canadian-Pilots-Survival/dp/1118109686/

3) No one-time-switch needed as he has never played for another country

4) To attend Camp Poutine, he would need to skip Motherwell's match against Championship side Greenock Morton ( 2nd tier ) . I hope the CSA quickly helps him get a passport!

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I don’t doubt that Cordova is Canadian. He just doesn’t qualify under fifa rules unless there’s a grandparent born in Canada. 

Reached out to the club/the club contacted back — based on what we were told, he passes requirement #1 (read between the lines, as required).

Edited by bfque8

34 minutes ago, bfque8 said:

Norwegian English accents vary heavily — most angle closer to an American accent, but re: Sondre, his entire family went to college in the US, which should explain why his accent is that way

Like most Swedish hockey players over here, this guy is trying hard to mimic a North American accent. A guy born and raised in Norway doesn't sound the way he does. Watch Erling Halaand speak English to hear a Norwegian accent. The fact he went to US for college is where he must have started to downplay his true accent, probably to fit in and it just stuck in the end. 

Edited by Macksam

21 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Like most Swedish hockey players over here, this guy is trying hard to mimic a North American accent. A guy born and raised in Norway doesn't sound the way he does. Watch Erling Halaand speak English to hear a Norwegian accent. The fact he went to US for college is where he must have started to downplay his true accent, probably to fit in and it just stuck in the end. 

Like, it's hard to explain... best way I can though, is I have multiple friends from Norway who were born there to Norwegian parents and who grew up there their entire lives/still live there/etc. - some have accents closer to Sondre's and some have accents closer to Haaland; really just depends on who/how they learned English and how exposed they were to English media.

Sondre himself never went to college in the US, just his family.

Edited by bfque8

9 hours ago, Macksam said:

Is it so hard to listen before making dumbass comments? 

He says his grandparents spoke English at home in Norway, and his aunt was an English teacher in Zimbawe. That his parents siblings all spoke English at home. That his parents went to Oklahoma and both his older sisters were born there. 

"I guess you could say I just grew up around English-speaking people."

He obviously has better comprehension than you do, but we all know that is not what your real problem is, is it?

On 12/17/2021 at 5:41 AM, Sal333 said:

It's not a question of "pure laine". (BTW being from Quebec I detest that term.) It's a question of honesty. When we refer to the national team we use the word program as if the program we've installed has produced a soccer culture. So what does a Solholm show us about our program. That our soccer culture has developed genealogical skills?

For me if they are eligible and good enough, that's enough for me. Otherwise you've got to figure out where to draw the line. Can we say that a player that had to leave Canada to go pro was developed by Canada? What if they went to NCAA to learn their trade before turning pro? Or what if they went over to Europe as a 15 year old? How about 10 years old? Does it matter if they were a phenom at 10 before going abroad, or if they were nothing special at that age, only to make a breakthrough in another country with European coaching? If those scenarios are OK, what if they left Canada before they played organized soccer? What if they went back and forth a bit. Born in Canada, then moved away when they were a baby, came back when they were 8 until 12, then left again. Personally I'm not willing to make an infinitely large flow chart to determine what is good enough for me and what isn't. Might as well just use the lines in the sand that FIFA drew, rather than my own.

On 12/17/2021 at 9:03 AM, canuckgbp said:

Once they put on the shirt and accept the call I don't really care about their roots or how deeply tied they are. We have seen people born and bred here who turn away and refuse to wear the shirt.

The more quality we can add into the program, the more competitive it will get. Raising the floor can be just as important as raising the ceiling. This is already happening with regards to our attackers.

I get all that but there  is something about players who learned and played youth soccer here growing up like the Atiba’s , Dero’s , Larins , David’s and so on that gives me a sense that we as a nation can produce quality soccer players . Of course if we have a few who have never set foot in this country but can help us because they have a connection through a grandparent or something I’ll take them. But if we were to have a team made up of a majority of players that their only connection to Canada was through a grandparent sort of thing like this guy and Arfield then I don’t know it would not be the same thing. Maybe I’m like this because I have coached in our youth soccer system for years and when I see guys like a Larin, Atiba or a Davies who grew up playing youth soccer here I can relate to them I have an idea what it was like for them growing up playing soccer in Canada . 

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

I get all that but there  is something about players who learned and played youth soccer here growing up like the Atiba’s , Dero’s , Larins , David’s and so on that gives me a sense that we as a nation can produce quality soccer players . Of course if we have a few who have never set foot in this country but can help us because they have a connection through a grandparent or something I’ll take them. But if we were to have a team made up of a majority of players that their only connection to Canada was through a grandparent sort of thing like this guy and Arfield then I don’t know it would not be the same thing. Maybe I’m like this because I have coached in our youth soccer system for years and when I see guys like a Larin, Atiba or a Davies who grew up playing youth soccer here I can relate to them I have an idea what it was like for them growing up playing soccer in Canada . 

Well we don't have a team made up of mostly players with a little connection. It isn't a problem and this doesn't appear to be a trend. 

Adding more quality, whether at the top or raising the floor will make this program more competitive. With a more competitive program it will lead to more Canadians born and bred here choosing us first. We are gaining legitimacy with every WCQ window it seems.  

I just take a pragmatic view of this. What is the most important thing? Qualifying for a World Cup consistently and in turn being competitive and one of the top teams in our region in competitions like the Gold Cup. 

MLS has now given Canadians a ton of opportunities and hopefully CPL can follow and expand upon this. More domestic talent has more opportunities to shine, which wasn't the case in years past. We have seen MLS based players make a massive impact on this squad. Seems like this will continue. 

With regards to Solholm, CB depth is an issue for us. It will take time to move through younger talent and get them playing at an appropriate level for them to help this team. Between those times, filling out the roster with players like this just makes sense.

Maybe some aren't thrilled with the level Solholm is playing that but that speaks directly to the lack of options we have currently at CB. 

21 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Is it so hard to listen before making dumbass comments? 

He says his grandparents spoke English at home in Norway, and his aunt was an English teacher in Zimbawe. That his parents siblings all spoke English at home. That his parents went to Oklahoma and both his older sisters were born there. 

"I guess you could say I just grew up around English-speaking people."

He obviously has better comprehension than you do, but we all know that is not what your real problem is, is it?

I see more indication you are hurting on the inside UT but so far you have refused to accept my help, and what's more, you are saying I am the one with the problem now. Alright, I will bite Mr. Supercuck, what is my problem?

How about we just let the coach pick the team. He’s done a pretty decent job up TIL now.

P.S. For what it’s worth Motherwell in Scotland is generally above mid-table in the SFA Premier. Last season they qualified for the Europa Cup and were eliminated just before the group stage. The Scottish national team is experiencing a strong resurgence at the moment having qualified for last summers Euros and preparing for the UEFA play-off stages in March leading to Qatar. They have had two players regularly capped for the national team who played for Motherwell (quite unusual for a Scottish team not named Rangers or Celtic). They were Phil O’donnell  and Declan Gallagher (since transferred to Aberdeen).

The point is Solholm plays for a quality team with excellent coaching instruction.

Edited by Wayverider

Sounds like Solholm could help us. Good/decent Centrebacks we need. 

As for real Canadian football culture (kultur) (on the field) we ain’t got it. This is not certain European nations with a long, set and successful football culture.

And, frankly if you’ve lived in Canada for 5 minutes you should be considered Canadian. Not even even necessary for a footballer. Having a Canadian grandparent can either teach you about Canada, or cause you to idealize Canada more than enough to want to play for Canada. 

Many Canadian of all kinds don’t know Canadian history. Canada has always taught it badly to its own citizens. Many of the most engaged and devoted Canadians were draft dodgers who had never set foot in Canada before but had an idea of Canada. There can be an on the pitch equivalent of that as well. Players who choose to play for Canada and give their all can even teach us something. 

• 2 weeks later...

Over a week late but started on Boxing day for Motherwell in a 2-1 win over Livingston. Subbed out on the 79th minute. They conceded after he left the pitch. 

I think we will find one or two other players pop up like this if Canada continues its rise. There are likely a few players out there that we wouldn't know about and they never would have considered Canada previously but might creep out of the woodwork now. Probably not many of much worth though!

Edit: Motherwell don't play again until the 18th of January (then in the cup on the 22nd) I would be surprised if he gets the call and is allowed to leave.

Edited by toontownman

• 3 weeks later...