Sondre Solholm

Atlantic

13 minutes ago, jonovision said:

This has nothing to do with pure laine but isn't the notion of a player joining the national team of a country they have never visited vaguely ridiculous? 

There could be an argument made but we have previously welcomed Marc Bircham, Wotherspoon, etc. before they ever step foot in Canada.

As you suggested, they're playing by FIFA rules. It's only tenuously linked to Nationality/Citizenship/Residency these days.

Edited by PastPros

Interesting that he was a teammate of Olivier Occéan in Mjøndalen. They were on the team that promoted a few years back, which was relegated this year. So he wasn’t on a strong team in Norway but seems to have impressed enough to stay at a decent level.

Good for our pool as we never produced any MNT defenders between the the 93 and 97 birth years. Although it’s still possible someone between Waterman, Zator, Didic, Macnaughton and Krutzen breaks through. 

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Am I the only one who feels the slightest bit uncomfortable with the kind of roster building where guys with the most tenuous connections to Canada are signing on because the team is finally good? I get it that this is what international football is now, but I remember complaining about it when these sorts of decisions didn't go our way. Is it wrong that I'd prefer to have a guy from Regina or Brampton?

I'm in the same boat as well and I would prefer people who lived in Canada to wear the jersey but considering the history of this program and the talent drain it experienced, I'd rather be on the winning end of gettng players whose good enough to play for Scotland or Norway but is eligible for Canada. 

If Spain can pick up Diego Costa off the back of him simply playing in their league, I'm sure guys with "Canadian heritage" can be considered, so long as they're good enough I personally don't care.

When it crosses the line is when we have better domestic players but choose abroad ones instead, which I don't think has happened yet.

6 hours ago, bfque8 said:

Stated this elsewhere - having watched him quite a fair bit in both Norway and Scotland, he'd definitely fill the gap that would be left by Vitória/Ferreira at a minimum — but also more than capable to reach that #4 spot on the depth chart, imo.

Hahahahahaha gap left by whooooo….

stop the nonsense, Ferreira was given an opportunity that should’ve been given to Rocco Romeo if you get my gist. 

1 hour ago, Matro25 said:

I'm in the same boat as well and I would prefer people who lived in Canada to wear the jersey but considering the history of this program and the talent drain it experienced, I'd rather be on the winning end of gettng players whose good enough to play for Scotland or Norway but is eligible for Canada. 

If Spain can pick up Diego Costa off the back of him simply playing in their league, I'm sure guys with "Canadian heritage" can be considered, so long as they're good enough I personally don't care.

When it crosses the line is when we have better domestic players but choose abroad ones instead, which I don't think has happened yet.

This is spot on.

But the flip side is….how do you know if they are good enough, if they haven’t been given a real opportunity? 

Does Sondre get a look over Joel simply because of the dual prestige and him playing in Europe? These are the questions I would as ask a player who wants to be apart of the program.

Theres no barometer, but playing anywhere in Europe gives you extra points. When playing in Concacaf League should really give you the extra points as it pertains to playing for Canada. That’s my perspective. 

Edited by Shway

1 minute ago, Shway said:

This is spot on.

But the flip side is….how do you know if they are good enough, if they haven’t been given a real opportunity? 

Does Sondre get a look over Joel simply because of the dual prestige and him playing in Europe? These are the questions I would as ask a player who wants to be apart of the program.

Theres no barometer, but playing anywhere in Europe gives you extra points. When playing in Concacaf League should really give you the extra points as it pertains to playing for Canada. That’s my perspective. 

Here's the thing, Waterman has been in camps before with Canada namely the taxi squad in the June window so Herdman has had a good long look at him. Herdman also probably tracks Joel closely since he is one of the top cb options we have. That said, Sondre should absolutely get a look for the friendly (if he is allowed to come). Also, given that the next camp is in January and Waterman won't have been in a game for over two months, if Herdman likes what he see from Sondre in the next few weeks, I'm fine with inviting him to camp.

5 hours ago, Matro25 said:

You're not envious of Diego Costa's appearances for Spain, I hope. 

A better example for Spain was Marcos Senna.

My feeling is like many here, I am lukewarm about this guy. I prefer those who have lived in Canada, who breathe it, which is where I am keen to see if Flores might opt for us eventually. He has a Canadian childhood under his belt, that is unnegotiable. 

This Solholm, he seems like a nice kid. If he were playing at a slightly higher level I may even be more accepting.

8 hours ago, PastPros said:

I have zero issue with it but I am open to hear the arguments againt.

Really, what difference does it make - without getting into a debate about "pure laine" Canadians?

It's not a question of "pure laine". (BTW being from Quebec I detest that term.) It's a question of honesty. When we refer to the national team we use the word program as if the program we've installed has produced a soccer culture. So what does a Solholm show us about our program. That our soccer culture has developed genealogical skills?

11 hours ago, jonovision said:

This has nothing to do with pure laine but isn't the notion of a player joining the national team of a country they have never visited vaguely ridiculous? 

Scott Arfield anyone? Played for us before ever setting foot on Canadian soil.

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think his surname is Jacobsen and that also needs to be used. Norwegians often actively use two first names, e.g. Tore Andre Flo. Motherwell fans seem to rate him from what I read elsewhere.

He goes by Sondre Solholm

We do remember that even Will Johnson, outside of his birth, did not really grow up "Canadian"? When I've seen posters begging for Ferdi to come into the fold or Juan Cordova to be brought back into the mix, I'm not really sure we have the ability to judge who we think is "more Canadian" than others.

He has a relative who is an honoured hero of the Canadian Air Force, and with a quick browse of instagram you can find that his close family visited Canada in the last few years, even calling it "their roots". I'm not really sure we can judge whether or not he's prideful of his background.

Do we even know if he or his agent have contacted the CSA? Or if Canada knows about him. This video just sounds like wishful thinking. I don't think a call-up next month is imminent or anything unless others start to report on it. I imagine we will find out more on Northern Futbol when they interview him.

I'd love to have him in camp. Mainly because I love how just diverse the names on our squad are. It's so fun.

Edited by VinceA

Once they put on the shirt and accept the call I don't really care about their roots or how deeply tied they are. We have seen people born and bred here who turn away and refuse to wear the shirt.

The more quality we can add into the program, the more competitive it will get. Raising the floor can be just as important as raising the ceiling. This is already happening with regards to our attackers.

42 minutes ago, kohanz said:

Scott Arfield anyone? Played for us before ever setting foot on Canadian soil.

Sure, and just like Bircham and some others who have played for us over the years, I haven't warmed to him as much as some other players. Most of us have been critical in the past of a certain Calgarian playing for England, or some middle eastern teams filled with naturalized Brazilians, but in a way both are more honest than recruiting players whose grandmother had a cup of coffee in Yellowknife or something.

I was sort of cold on Spoony joining Canada but the man doesn't play much for us but comes to every camp and every interview he gives he says he is always excited to come and be with the team and program, and he loves that he gets to sort of forge his own bond with the country he represents which I imagine is a very interesting journey. Ugbo will be doing the same (Adding on to his few years as a child).

Edited by VinceA