Sondre Solholm

Atlantic

Strange. Even his team's website says he's eligible for Canada. 

Unless his grandmother is an adoptive mother to one of his parents... he would be eligible.

So weird. 

Let's find a Canadian woman to marry him! lol joking

Edited by Hawkguy

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I don't think Gareth fully gets how eligiblity works. If his Grandma is Canadian and born in Canada, he should be able to get citizenship, making him eligible.

Tons of players have played for a country through their grandparents,

I don't think that is an original thought from Wheels, it's probably what he's been told by someone at the CSA

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

I don't think Gareth fully gets how eligiblity works. If his Grandma is Canadian and born in Canada, he should be able to get citizenship, making him eligible.

Tons of players have played for a country through their grandparents,

I wonder if the issue is that while he was eligible under FIFA rules (grandparents born in Canada), the fact that he cannot get his Canadian citizenship is preventing him from being eligible since people born outside of Canada to Canadians no longer automatically get Canadian citizenship after the first generation (so even if his grandparents are Canadian, the fact that his mom was born outside of Canada means he no longer is able to get citizenship automatically). 

Either that or his grandparents weren't born in Canada and instead were naturalized.