Sondre Solholm

Atlantic

Looks like a solid option in the box, moves the ball quite decently, maybe not the fastest defender but then again neither is a guy like Vitoria. Bring him into camp and see what he's got. Stick him and Larin as targets for that header across the box Vitoria likes to play and now we're rolling,

I find it incredible how some of us are writing him off already. This is a guy who's getting decent minutes on the 5th place SPFL team and most people seem to like Wotherspoon (last place in SPFL) and the Paton's (2nd last in the SPFL). When we consider that our 3rd-5th best CBs are playing in Korea, Greece, and 2Bundesliga. Surely this guy at least deserves a look. 

And when it comes to attitudes of our duals, sure he's not born in Canada, but neither are other key contributors. But unlike a lot of past duals (or even current 30+ page thread duals), he's actually coming out and saying if Canada thinks I'm decent enough I'd be happy to play there. Honestly some of the comments on here are like chasing a girl, do we only want the dual if they don't seem to want us and play hard to get?

15 hours ago, jonovision said:

Am I the only one who feels the slightest bit uncomfortable with the kind of roster building where guys with the most tenuous connections to Canada are signing on because the team is finally good? I get it that this is what international football is now, but I remember complaining about it when these sorts of decisions didn't go our way. Is it wrong that I'd prefer to have a guy from Regina or Brampton?

Uncomfortable?!? Only in the sense it confirms we are now a destination, a desirable team to play for because we are on the rise. Remember the times we were desperately searching for these players? Remember when The Whore betrayed us  and we were glad to find Marc Bircham and the others mentioned to fill in our squad?

We have been recruiting like this in bad times and in good. Where I want to be and I can see it coming, is where players like this want to play for us but we are so full of depth we can politely (we are Canadian) decline their offer. :)

Edited by ted
typo

45 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I guess I can't really complain about it as long as the rules are what they are. I think they should be tightened up by FIFA but I don't see it happening.

But its not even that this is something new to international football...

If anything, our team now is more Canadian than ever. Our 86 team had 10 players born outside of Canada. If you look at the group at the Mexico game (plus a few extra like Arfield, Hoilett or Theo) there's currently only 7 born outside of Canada, including guys like Adekugbe, Davies, and David who grew up here. So really, Borjan (who lived here for a decent amount of time), Arfield, Wotherspoon, and Ugbo are the only ones who at the moment could feature in Qatar that either were not born here or grow up here... 

Edit: forgot Ugbo did also live here for a couple years as a kid as well

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

2 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

But its not even that this is something new to international football...

If anything, our team now is more Canadian than ever. Our 86 team had 10 players born outside of Canada. If you look at the group at the Mexico game (plus a few extra like Arfield, Hoilett or Theo) there's currently only 7 born outside of Canada, including guys like Adekugbe, Davies, and David who grew up here. So really, Borjan (who lived here to a decent amount of time), Arfield, Wotherspoon, and Ugbo are the only ones who at the moment could feature in Qatar that either were not born here or grow up here... 

How many of those 10 players in '86 had never resided in Canada? 

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Sure, and just like Bircham and some others who have played for us over the years, I haven't warmed to him as much as some other players. Most of us have been critical in the past of a certain Calgarian playing for England, or some middle eastern teams filled with naturalized Brazilians, but in a way both are more honest than recruiting players whose grandmother had a cup of coffee in Yellowknife or something.

Apparently naturalizing Brazilians is global tradition, China has a couple of guys that played in their league for a few seasons wearing their national jerseys now 😂

Again, I don't really care as long as the player is good enough at our current level, which this guy is.

If he played as a winger or a striker we wouldn't think about bringing him in the fold since we're stacked in those positions.

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

How many of those 10 players in '86 had never resided in Canada? 

Not certain, my Wikipedia dive didn't extend that deep and I'm on the younger end of the fanbase for sure. But just making the point that there really aren't too many guys in our core 30 players that are as un-Canadian as your post may have made it seem

Just now, Approve My Account Pls said:

Not certain, my Wikipedia dive didn't extend that deep and I'm on the younger end of the fanbase for sure. But just making the point that there really aren't too many guys in our core 30 players that are as un-Canadian as your post may have made it seem

I wasn't suggesting that we are assembling a team of mercenaries, just that I'm not excited about this Norwegian character.

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

I wasn't suggesting that we are assembling a team of mercenaries, just that I'm not excited about this Norwegian character.

Fair enough, I guess agree to disagree. In my eyes the fact that he's proud of his Canadian heritage, has been to Canada, and seems to be interested in representing us without us having to really chase is a nice first step. For all we know, he may amount to nothing but depth in the system

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Sure, and just like Bircham and some others who have played for us over the years, I haven't warmed to him as much as some other players. Most of us have been critical in the past of a certain Calgarian playing for England, or some middle eastern teams filled with naturalized Brazilians, but in a way both are more honest than recruiting players whose grandmother had a cup of coffee in Yellowknife or something.

If your grandmother had a tea in Yellowknife you're bona fide: the only part of the country I haven't seen. 

7 hours ago, ted said:

Uncomfortable?!? Only in the sense it confirms we are now a destination, a desirable team to play for because we are on the rise. Remember the times we were desperately searching for these players? Remember when The Whore betrayed us  and we were glad to find Marc Bircham and the others mentioned to fill in our squad?

We have been recruiting like this in bad times and in good. Where I want to be and I can see it coming, is where players like this want to play for us but we are so full of depth we can politely (we are Canadian) decline their offer. :)

But precisely that: we're doing amazingly well considering this level of player still interests us. If he were a  wing or mid with a few goals at MotherwellI don't think we would be looking with such interest. Unless he were 4-5 years younger. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

There’s even been excitement for guys who were never even eligible. I.e. Ugo Ihemulu and Tam Nsaliwa being called in 2008

That could be the case with Cordova as well... 

We’ve already called Sturing this year yet haven’t called James so I’m really interested to see if Herdman calls him at this point. Especially as he’s mentioned that he doesn’t want to add players re: Ennin  ... then Ugbo drops a month later (probably an unexpected exception). James’ resume and level is at least on par with Solholm. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

There’s even been excitement for guys who were never even eligible. I.e. Ugo Ihemulu and Tam Nsaliwa being called in 2008

That could be the case with Cordova as well... 

We’ve already called Sturing this year yet haven’t called James so I’m really interested to see if Herdman calls him at this point. Especially as he’s mentioned that he doesn’t want to add players re: Ennin  ... then Ugbo drops a month later (probably an unexpected exception). James’ resume and level is at least on par with Solholm. 

With Cordova it’s not the case

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

How is he eligible? His father is a Canadian citizen - he wasn’t born here. 

The law of citizenship by descent changed in 2009.  

Prior to 2009 one could obtain Canadian citizenship if your father (for example) was a 2nd (or 3rd etc) generation Canadian.  This means that Juan's father could pass on citizenship to his son, even though he was not born in Canada.  

After 2009 Canada changed this law, and a child born outside of Canada could only get Canadian citizenship if at least one parent was born in Canada.  This is the case with my son.  He has Canadian citizenship because I was born in Canada. However, if he has children in the future, he cannot pass down his citizenship (under the current laws) to his children because he was not born in Canada.  

https://canadacitizenshiphelp.ca/2018/02/28/how-youre-entitled-to-canadian-citizenship-by-descent/

https://web.archive.org/web/20110824075421/http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules.asp

Edited by Buchta

again, on top of holding nationality, the player must fulfil one of the conditions put forward by fifa...big question with cordova is how he became eligible while seemingly not fulfilling any of the conditions

1. A player, who, under the terms of art. 5, is eligible to represent more than
one association on account of his nationality, may play in an international
match for one of these associations only if, in addition to holding the
relevant nationality, he fulfils at least one of the following conditions:
a) He was born on the territory of the relevant association;
b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of
the relevant association;
c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the
relevant association;
d) He has lived on the territory of the relevant association for at least five
years.

10 minutes ago, Big_M said:

again, on top of holding nationality, the player must fulfil one of the conditions put forward by fifa...big question with cordova is how he became eligible while seemingly not fulfilling any of the conditions

1. A player, who, under the terms of art. 5, is eligible to represent more than
one association on account of his nationality, may play in an international
match for one of these associations only if, in addition to holding the
relevant nationality, he fulfils at least one of the following conditions:
relevant association;
d) He has lived on the territory of the relevant association for at least five
years.

not sure if he played in an official match for chile youth so will add this in the case he didnt

1. Any player who refers to art. 5 par.1 to assume a new nationality and who
has not played international football in accordance with art. 5 par. 3 shall
be eligible to play for the representative teams of the new association only
if he fulfils one of the following conditions:
relevant association;
d) He has lived on the territory of the relevant association:
i) for players that began living on the territory before the age of
10: at least three years;