WCQ: Third Round - Window 3 (November 12-16, 2021)

dyslexic nam

5 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I know there were strong rumours of Jebbison getting called up, but don't we think he'd be getting an announcement of his own if that were the case?

pretty sure those rumours are total BS. 

Never believed that Jebbision would be switching anytime soon

30 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

What's the quality of the turf at Commonwealth stadium like?  If Atiba is on the squad not sure he will play a big role on turf in freezing temps. Not good for his knees

I see him as a starter for the Costa Rica game and a sub/cover for the Mexico game. Atiba’s lack of pace is much less of a factor against Costa Rica - we’re going to see a lot of the ball, and Costa Rica are slow as hell. Starting Atiba here gives us a chance to rest someone (probably Kaye) so they’re fresh for Mexico.

Meanwhile Mexico has shown that they really can’t cope with our pace. I see no reason to give them an out by playing an old, slow Atiba in game 2. 

Also with older players, consistency of warmup can be key. You aren’t always afforded that luxury as a substitute. Paradoxically, 60 mins as a starter might incur less risk for him than 30 mins as a sub.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:58 PM, El Hombre said:

But how can it be Ugbo when he's not on Herdman's 61-Man Provisional Squad?

He played us all. Used 7 players, lined them up on the sheet so if you look at the first letter of each row....

International Squad

Kaye, Mark-Anthony

Eustaquio, Stephen

Uitoria, Steven

Gutierez, Cristian

Buchanan, Tajon

Osorio, Jonathan

(I had to cheat with Vitoria and make it a U)

Edited by rydermike
Fix eustaquio name

On 11/4/2021 at 12:01 AM, Treppy2 said:

Here's my view on how we get from our current 10 points to 21 points, which almost certainly will put us into 3rd place with an automatic ticket to Qatar:

Window 3 (Home to Costa Rica, Home to Mexico) - 3 points for a total of 13

Window 4 (Away to Honduras, Home to US, Away to El Salvador) - a minimum of 2 points, for a total of at least 15

Window 5 (Away to Costa Rica, Home to Jamaica, Away to Panama) - 6 points, for a total of at least 21

I think Canada can get those results. Sure would be nice to get an away win in Window 4 though, so it doesn't come down to the last match or two. (And as a reminder, Canada has never won an away match in the Hex or Octo.)

This works for me too, though it means pure hell for the fans, I find it bold of you to propose it. A good wake up call: "there are many paths to the same summit."

1 hour ago, rydermike said:

He played us all. Used 7 players, lined them up on the sheet so if you look at the first letter of each row....

International Squad

Kaye, Mark-Anthony

Eustaquio, Steven

Uitoria, Steven

Gutierez, Cristian

Buchanan, Tajon

Osorio, Jonathan

(I had to cheat with Vitoria and make it a U)

"Mister Policeman, you could have saved them all.  I gave you all the clues."

Something I hadn’t really considered as far as this window is how cheap and easy an expanded roster would be from a logistics standpoint, given that many MLS guys will be flying home anyways after MLS decision day. The non-playoff guys might welcome the chance to try to improve their stock by training with the team in Edmonton, even if they’re not in Herdman’s plans for this window.

Maybe we see an expanded 27-30-man roster tomorrow including some of Pasher, Chapman, Edwards, Okello, Waterman, etc. The extra familiarity could end up paying dividends when the triple windows roll around. 

12 hours ago, Floortom said:

pretty sure those rumours are total BS. 

Never believed that Jebbision would be switching anytime soon

I mean... Herdman has gone on record of saying he's talked to him and his parents and it was about finding the right time to make decisions. Maybe he doesn't choose us... but it's not total BS.

3 hours ago, Yoginess said:

I mean... Herdman has gone on record of saying he's talked to him and his parents and it was about finding the right time to make decisions. Maybe he doesn't choose us... but it's not total BS.

The idea of Jebbison one day playing for Canada isn't total BS - it's still highly plausible IMO. The idea that he was going to commit to Canada in this window, or the next one, or the next one...was always highly unlikely.