WCQ: Third Round - Window 3 (November 12-16, 2021)

dyslexic nam

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

This is all true but Herdman has talked many times about Cav's presence in the locker room..he may be called for that alone

Fair enough I guess. But on a 23 man roster do we really have room for a striker who doesn’t score goals and can’t/won’t run? He’s averaging a goal every 4.5 games, but that is all from the beginning of the season. He not scored since July 4th. And it’s not like his hold up play or distribution is much better. 

I want him to turn it around. I really do. But when you look at his history he’s just not a guy you can rely on to score goals, and he really seems to struggle with coming off the bench.

Well that was an emotional rollercoaster to read.  

Not going to pretend I know much about this guy but I am getting a solid contact high from everyone’s excitement.   

And I don’t want to be a downer but man - when will we get to read about some exciting young dual nat centre back signing on to Team Canada?   If there was one position we were already solid in, it is striker.   But you can never have too much quality and this will be yet another option going forward.  It sounds like he had to file a switch to make it happen so if we cap him he is here to stay, correct? 

All good.  Crazy that we are now a team that exciting young guys want to play for.  Definitely some missed prospects along the way (Tomori hurt the most) but all we can do is keep being the sort of team that these guys aspire to play for.  

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Well that was an emotional rollercoaster to read.  

Not going to pretend I know much about this guy but I am getting a solid contact high from everyone’s excitement.   

And I don’t want to be a downer but man - when will we get to read about some exciting young dual nat centre back signing on to Team Canada?   If there was one position we were already solid in, it is striker.   But you can never have too much quality and this will be yet another option going forward.  It sounds like he had to file a switch to make it happen so if we cap him he is here to stay, correct? 

All good.  Crazy that we are now a team that exciting young guys want to play for.  Definitely some missed prospects along the way (Tomori hurt the most) but all we can do is keep being the sort of team that these guys aspire to play for.  

Didnt we just play Brym...twice?????  I dont think we are solid enough at striker, judging from that but I agree.where are the CB's wanting to switch??  

1 minute ago, Cblake said:

This dual nationals always get people going on waiting to see where they decide to attach themselves too. Today it was Ugbo, tomorrow we will be waiting with baited breath to see where the chips may fall with Jebbison. Not sure my heart can take it LOL

Not a worry with Jebbison. He'll almost certainly be committing at some point, once he earns the call up. England didn't even call up Sancho this window, Jebbison isn't even in the same galaxy for a potential England call up anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt we just play Brym...twice?????  I dont think we are solid enough at striker, judging from that but I agree.where are the CB's wanting to switch??  

Fair enough.  And Larin often goes out wide so that helps reduce the traffic jam.  But I am also thinking down the road when Akinola is back - I still think he will grow into a solid striking option for us.  And I am still hoping Jebbison signs up - which would make things a bit more congested.  

But all these young attackers is crazy.  We are seeing a wave of guys who could be the core for the next 8-10 years.   

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

We played Brym twice...we started Tesho in the Gold Cup.

Depth can thin out in a hurry with injuries / cards / drop of form etc..

6 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Real winner today is Wheeler - completely justified post (I stand very corrected).

The only thing he really got wrong was Yankov, and I do believe that he relayed the info he was given but that Yankov changed his mind. He even speculated that Akinola was in play when there was no real reason to think so. It is obvious that Wheeler has a direct line to the CSA in some form.

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

We played Brym twice...we started Tesho in the Gold Cup.

Depth can thin out in a hurry with injuries / cards / drop of form etc..

Exactly. It seems like a logjam now, but a few injuries and it's a different story. Depth is ALWAYS a good thing. Even when everyone is healthy, the competition pushes everybody to perform.

1 minute ago, El Diego said:

The only thing he really got wrong was Yankov, and I do believe that he relayed the info he was given but that Yankov changed his mind. He even speculated that Akinola was in play when there was no real reason to think so. It is obvious that Wheeler has a direct line to the CSA in some form.

I never doubted you @RocketWheeler...if that is you.

I would really love to know specifically what the sales pitch was.  2026?  Chances for Qatar 2022?  Playing with Phonzie and David?  Playing culture?  Just keeping in touch on a regular basis?

Any chance we can invite Herdman out to a pub between CR and Mexico and I can get him hammered so that he'll spill the beans?

21 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I would really love to know specifically what the sales pitch was.  2026?  Chances for Qatar 2022?  Playing with Phonzie and David?  Playing culture?  Just keeping in touch on a regular basis?

Any chance we can invite Herdman out to a pub between CR and Mexico and I can get him hammered so that he'll spill the beans?

I think the pitch is - we have a bunch of world class players and we expect to make BOTH 2022 and 2026 and the player can help us go over the top and play on the worlds biggest stage.

Also as a striker wouldn’t you love to play with the kind of service from our attack?

It’s a bit of a mercenary way to look at it; and Canada was hurt from it in the past.  But now that we’re on the upswing it works for us going forward.

13 minutes ago, gator said:

If you get me hammered enough I will tell the story about how I got a player to return to our National Team about 10 years ago!🍺

Done and done.  I land on Friday at 12:15pm, so I will pencil you in for an appointment from 12:45 to 3:45 Friday afternoon.  That should do it.

See you there.

Just now, baulderdash77 said:

I think the pitch is - we have a bunch of world class players and we expect to make BOTH 2022 and 2026 and the player can help us go over the top and play on the worlds biggest stage.

Also as a striker wouldn’t you love to play with the kind of service from our attack?

It’s a bit of a mercenary way to look at it; and Canada was hurt from it in the past.  But now that we’re on the upswing it works for us going forward.

The crazy thing about all these young guys, they're early 20's for 2022, at their "primes" for 2026, and in 2030 most can still be good contributors in their early 30s.