WCQ: USA vs Canada - Sunday, Sept 5th, 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Nashville

3 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Yeah, he and the host nailed it, over and again.  I don't disagree with what Pulisic said, but he needs to say this behind closed doors.  AND, why can't these US players simply say: "We just weren't good enough tonight. Canada bunkered, defended well, and we didn't find a way to break them down. That's on us." But, no, he volleys a thinly veiled complaint at Berhalter and takes no responsibility for what he and his teammates failed to accomplish.  Massive culture problem in this young side. Berhalter, it appears, has not earned their respect.  They need an Arena or a Bradley to whip these punks into shape. (But not this cycle, of course.)

This is why I have been less bullish on the usmnt than others. I never expected the cracks to show this early, but I always maintained the group was young and lacked a period of sustained winning as a group. They may still qualify but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

An average of 393k watched US vs Canada on TSN.

Versus the recent Euros, it would rank in the third quartile. Finland vs Russia in the morning was one of the lowest at 201k. England matches got 900k+. About 7 matches got over 1 million.

Vs Canadian MLS in the past couple of years, it is on the higher end. But lower than most TFC playoff matches when they reached MLS Cup Finals.

Overlapping the soccer was Bombers vs Riders which got 980k. This game is part of the Banjo Bowl and is usually one of the CFL's most watched regular season games.

Another Canada vs USA match up last Tuesday (women's hockey final) got 836k.

Edited by red card

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is why I have been less bullish on the usmnt than others. I never expected the cracks to show this early, but I always maintained the group was young and lacked a period of sustained winning as a group. They may still qualify but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

You did indeed call it. Plus when a vet like Brooks says stupid stuff to the media you know there is a lack of leadership there. They could pull it together or it could get real ugly

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I agree.  Before a ball was kicked I had the US penciled in at #2 for sure, but 2 points from their first 2 games and an away match in Honduras isn’t exactly the ideal start.  If they stumble in San Pedro Sula, it will be either 2 or 3 points from their first 3 games.   Even with 2 of those points being away points, I am quite sure it isn’t the start US fans/players/pundits were expecting.  

Agree, I love that the 4 teams tied with 2 points all play each other on Wednesday. A win against El Salvador would be huge as US and Honduras will be taking points from each other.

1 hour ago, red card said:

Versus the recent Euros, it would rank in the third quartile. Finland vs Russia in the morning was one of the lowest at 201k. England matches got 900k+. About 7 matches got over 1 million.

Vs Canadian MLS in the past couple of years, it is on the higher end. But lower than most TFC playoff matches when they reached MLS Cup Finals.

Overlapping the soccer was Bombers vs Riders which got 980k. This game is part of the Banjo Bowl and is usually one of the CFL's most watched regular season games.

Only 393 K! That's disappointing. Maybe the numbers will be better for tomorrow night's game. Then again did TSN market the game? I felt like they didn't.

1 minute ago, Sal333 said:

Only 393 K! That's disappointing. Maybe the numbers will be better for tomorrow night's game. Then again did TSN market the game? I felt like they didn't.

That's a good number for a Men's Canadian Soccer match...especially one with no promotion at all. TSN is likely quite pleased with these numbers

12 minutes ago, Floortom said:

That's a good number for a Men's Canadian Soccer match...especially one with no promotion at all. TSN is likely quite pleased with these numbers

It’s not bad considering.  CFL game and frankly, Canadian tennis has been getting good numbers the last 4-5 days too with how deep Auger-Alliassime, Andreescu and Layleh Fernandez have gone in the US Open.  Add in a long weekend too.  The promotion for this game was weak at best.

59 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

You did indeed call it. Plus when a vet like Brooks says stupid stuff to the media you know there is a lack of leadership there. They could pull it together or it could get real ugly

It's an entertaining side story but I honestly don't think we are immune from something similar happening with us.  Just keep taking care of business at our end, starting with putting the sword to ES tomorrow, and we will be fine. 

3 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

I came home from Nashville to find YouTubeTV didn't record the game for me, and the replay FS1 showed last night was the edited version they show in re-airings!

Anyone know where I might be able to D/L a full copy of the game?   Torrent of the match even?   Are torrents still a thing?

I asked the same thing yesterday with no responses. Couldnt find it anywhere on the web either so might not be possible

I'm pretty confident the US will qualify. But it doesn't stop me from enjoying them and their fanbase completely melting down. Really happy to hear they've given up on Pulisic vs Davies too. 

Also, just to give a bit of a respect to a player. Tyler Adams is a bit of a dink nozzle at times but he's really impressive defensively. He's consistently been able to hold his own against Davies going back to their Whitecaps vs NYRB days. 

1 minute ago, Yoginess said:

I'm pretty confident the US will qualify. But it doesn't stop me from enjoying them and their fanbase completely melting down. Really happy to hear they've given up on Pulisic vs Davies too. 

Also, just to give a bit of a respect to a player. Tyler Adams is a bit of a dink nozzle at times but he's really impressive defensively. He's consistently been able to hold his own against Davies going back to their Whitecaps vs NYRB days. 

Yes, I’ve been an instant fan of Adams since his MLS days. My fingers are crossed Priso can develop into that sort of player eventually. Lot of similarities.

Edited by ag futbol

29 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

Yes, I’ve been an instant fan of Adams since his MLS days. My fingers are crossed Priso can develop into that sort of player eventually. Lot of similarities.

As long as Priso avoids the hockey style "finishing the check" that Adams did on Kaye and killed a really dangerous attacking build up sequence in the process, he'll be fine.

2 hours ago, red card said:

Did we get numbers on the Honduras match on Sportsnet?