WCQ: USA vs Canada - Sunday, Sept 5th, 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Nashville

https://www.ussoccer.com/competitions/concacaf-world-cup-qualifying-2022/matches/united-states-vs-canada#match-guide

USA vs Canada
Sunday, September 5th
8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific
Broadcast on TSN4 (
EN) & RDS2 (FR)

---

Canadian players that are on a yellow card:
Vitória

---

Canadian players that didn't get any minutes in the previous match:

Crépeau (GK)
Pantemis (GK)
Osorio
Fraser
Wotherspoon
Henry
Adekugbe
Kaye
Piette
Cavallini

Players that played less than a full match:

Buchanan ½ a match
Hoilett ½ a match
Kennedy ~8 minutes

---

A review of the Yanks previous match:

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/usmnt-vs-el-salvador-score-ratings-highlights-usa-settles-for-draw-in-concacaf-world-cup-qualifying-opener/live/amp/

The US squad:

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2021/08/usmnt-september-2022-concacaf-world-cup-qualifying-roster

---

Are you going to be in Nashville?

Post in this thread:

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/77763-wcq-away-game-travel/

Ok - I’ve come down from the ledge last night. Disappointing to drop points like that at home against a rival to start the cycle but there are plenty of opportunities to pick them back up elsewhere.

Will be really interesting to see the tactics and lineup on this. I’ve been racking my brain on what the approach should be, but especially with all the expected rotation am struggling a bit. The lack of depth at a few spots plus so many key guys going 90+ last night brings a lot of challenges.

Eustaquio and Johnston might have to start the remaining two games. Plan to sub them out in this one but I think we need them on the field. 

Not sure what we do up-top for this one. Not sure we can play two unless Hoilett is one of them. 

What I think Herdman will do-

-----------------Hoilett - David-----------------

Adekugbe - Kaye - Osorio -Eustaquio - Buchanan

--------Kennedy - Henry - Johnston-------

-------------------Crepeau ---------------

This setup allows the team to go 4-4-2 as well. 

I don't trust Henry but I think if you are going to play him it is in the middle of the three. 

Think one of Davies or Buchanan need to be on the field at all times for the real threat of pace. 

Borjan won't have the home crowd to rile up this time.  Putting Crepeau in the back will give calmness. Maybe stick with the hot hand though… 

Edited by canuckgbp

This is the type of match that I feel like Herdman has built himself for.  We've been disappointing in the last game, and so now it is on him to prepare the squad and have them come out and perform.  I think that a win is unlikely if I'm frank, however a draw would be the type of result that a quality coach can help to earn.  

Putting it here because this is the “looking forward” post.  

I get that the result last night sucked, but trying to find the silver lining(s) and maintaining a bit of optimism is my emotional coping mechanism.  With 13 games to go, it is far too early to declare defeat and drop our heads.  It will ruin the entire campaign that is to come.  

So the points dropped last night may come back to haunt us.  But as disappointed as I am, I am choosing not to focus on that right now.  There is too much depression behind that door.  As @gator said, the real time for panic will be if we can’t beat ES at home.

It doesn’t change any of the legitimate criticism that can be made about last night’s performance, but for now, let’s throw on those rose coloured glasses and go to the US with some self confidence and self belief.   

Come on you Reds!

I'd call in Tesho for this match if I were Herdman.

All the forwards were used pretty extensively last night, and with Cavallini not about to go 90 I think Tesho's physical presence is needed against the U.S.

At the bare minimum, the cupboard is pretty bare up top (assuming Herdman doesn't want Larin and David to play 90 minutes of all three games), and Tesho gives the team another option. It's a short flight from Orlando to Nashville so to me it's a no-brainer.

4 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

Eustaquio and Johnston might have to start the remaining two games. Plan to sub them out in this one but I think we need them on the field. 

Not sure what we do up-top for this one. Not sure we can play two unless Hoilett is one of them. 

What I think Herdman will do-

-----------------Hoilett - David-----------------

Adekugbe - Kaye - Osorio -Eustaquio - Buchanan

--------Kennedy - Henry - Johnston-------

-------------------Crepeau ---------------

I was thinking the exact same, except I was wondering if you put Spoony at RWB and push Tajon to CF and David to the bench.

I wasn't impressed with what I saw from the Americans last night. Yes it was away in El Salvador, but let's just say I hope we look better than that when we go down there

As for Sunday's match, it's going to be a much better USA side, given the home advantage and all. It will be tough, but anything is possible.

As for personnel, I think we see a return to the middle 3 (although you never know with Herdman).

Kaye and Osorio to start, possibly with Piette as an anchor. It may be Eustaquio though, as he's just too good to leave out, but nobody can play 90 minutes every match.

Maybe Stephen starts and goes 60, with Piette cleaning up though, but still unsure how that'll go. You'd almost want Piette to start and Eustaquio coming on to perhaps give us something in the second half if the game is still level. 

For the wings, I would say rest Tajon regardless of how the ankle is. If he's healthy give him a spin if we are chasing a result. As for Davies, I am tempted to bring him on as a super sub in this one. We risk burning him out with another 90 minutes (yes I have changed my tune here). Laryea I would start. 

I know someone, maybe @narduch, suggested this team is missing a Millar or Corbeanu, but I would suggest we are missing a Brault-Guillard. I think he'd be the perfect man to play wingback against the states. Put Laryea on the other wing. Save Davies and Tajon perhaps.

The other angle could be for us to go with Davies from the start, if we get a goal we can take him off and limit his minutes that way. If we don't we can still bring him off and bring on Tajon (store brand Davies).

I don't envy these decisions that Herdman has to make, but hey that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

In another thread I expressed my concern with not having enough time to acclimatize most of our players to the current time zone. Last night we had Davies, David, Larin, Hutch, Eustaquio, Vitoria & Borjan in our starting 11. That's 7 out of 11 that came from a 5-6-7 hour difference and only had two or three days to adapt. I read elite athletes need one day for every hour difference. I'm not using this as an excuse. I'm using it as a reason why I expect a completely different game from this team on Sunday.

The team looked uncoordinated, disjointed and listless. I've never seen this core make so many failed passes and take so many missed shots. I'm positive we'll see a completely different team on Sunday.

4 hours ago, Alex said:

The USA game is there for the taking. I feel like the Honduran style will always give us trouble and we need to accept that. I think the American style of play suits us better. Let’s go! 

An away game in the USA is something we are used to. Let’s not forget that. 

Fun fact: Since March 1, Canada has played more matches (10) in the United States than the US (9).

3 hours ago, RS said:

I'd call in Tesho for this match if I were Herdman.

All the forwards were used pretty extensively last night, and with Cavallini not about to go 90 I think Tesho's physical presence is needed against the U.S.

At the bare minimum, the cupboard is pretty bare up top (assuming Herdman doesn't want Larin and David to play 90 minutes of all three games), and Tesho gives the team another option. It's a short flight from Orlando to Nashville so to me it's a no-brainer.

I certainly hope not. That's basically saying that we don't care to win this game.

Edited by frmr

1 minute ago, frmr said:

I certainly hope not. That's basically saying that we don't care to win this game.

No, it's saying that the two main forward options each got 90 minutes last night and shouldn't be expected to do another 180 minutes over the next five days.

Outside of Hoilett, who else on the roster can even play as a 9? Cavallini can, of course, but he's not match fit.

There's absolutely no harm in calling Tesho in for this one. He did a decent job against Mexico with largely the same kind of lineup we'll likely see against the U.S. He's nowhere near the top of the pecking order, but having him on-site as an option is better than not, all things considered.

(I feel the same about bringing ZBG in)

2 minutes ago, RS said:

No, it's saying that the two main forward options each got 90 minutes last night and shouldn't be expected to do another 180 minutes over the next five days.

Outside of Hoilett, who else on the roster can even play as a 9? Cavallini can, of course, but he's not match fit.

There's absolutely no harm in calling Tesho in for this one. He did a decent job against Mexico with largely the same kind of lineup we'll likely see against the U.S. He's nowhere near the top of the pecking order, but having him on-site as an option is better than not, all things considered.

(I feel the same about bringing ZBG in)

Then why didn't Herdman call him up? Tesho is not at a level where he can be any sort of threat to a team like US. At that level, he's just a body, which is pretty much all he showed when he came on against Mexico. No offense to Tesho but he's not the type of player that you bring on when you're looking to threaten a full strength USA at home.