WCQ: USA vs Canada - Sunday, Sept 5th, 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Nashville

5 minutes ago, xcalibre said:

Don't get me wrong, I want Arfield in the team because I want our best players, especially when Weston McKennie will be in that American midfield next time, I just get the vibe that Herdman decided it's better for the squad atmosphere without him there

I think we'll see Arfield next window.

I think in general Aaronson's approach really shows the difference between their players and ours. The talent at this point is nearing or at equivalent. However, they've grown up with silver spoons up their ass whereas our boys have to fight to even be a speaking point in Canadian media and earn everything they've gotten. People outside of this forum will count them out until they're literally stepping foot in Qatar next winter

53 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Gotta say, the FS1 announcers are pretty good. They seem pretty balanced and the colour guy is very observant. Not sure who they are, but they are way better than wheeler and co

The FS1 camera feed that TSN was using was irritating at times. They'd be showing the US fans doing the clap or zoom ins on Pulisic while the game was going on.  

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

2 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I think we'll see Arfield next window.

Agreed. Seems coach wanted his core (plus Sam, James) for this window to create that "Brotherhood" thing which will be solidified - if not already - by the time Oh Canada has been sung on Wednesday. Think he'll slowly being in others as the WCQs progress. Maybe not next for Arfield but perhaps next next🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, vancanman said:

I've always avoided conflict and I am pretty sure I've never sworn on this forum, but for this Aaronson character, I've decided to make an exception:  

Go fuck yourself, you chinless weasel.  Your assessment of how Canada played is more of a description of your effort in this interview, ya twat.  I'm sure there's a bag of piss with your name on it waiting for you in Honduras.

Thank you for allowing me this indulgence, and I'll go back to being my usual dignified self now.

Hallelujah brother!!!

I listened to the Allocation Disorder podcast with the writers from The Athletic.  They mentioned when they got back to the hotel they saw a drunken US fan getting up in the face of Herdman yelling "admit it! you were lucky!"  Apparently Herdman was giving it back to the drunk just as good.  

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

6 minutes ago, 99bottlesofkvass said:

It isn't crazy to say that Canada has clearly surpassed the US now. For all the hype the overrated US players get about "world class" nonsense, it's Canada that's really improving and has a noteworthy success story. They should've won against the US 3-0 due to having superior attacking talent and Herdman being a real coach and not a clueless idiot who was only hired due to nepotism. The USSF and MLS provide valuable lessons for Canada on how a country can get everything wrong and waste resources while still think the rest of the world will believe that MLS is a good league despite it being useless and a complete failure for 25 years. CPL in 2 years had done much more than MLS in 25 and with smaller budgets too.

Ha.  First post.  That is one way to introduce yourself.  

1 minute ago, 99bottlesofkvass said:

I'm actually American but I find Canadian soccer more appealing and since the US is utterly hopeless and declining into the abyss, I decided to support Canada. Also, don't worry unlike most Yanks I don't have an Ameri-centric arrogance and I don't think the US is No.1 at anything other than being jerks. In fact, I think Canada is superior to the US in every way and if I say something stupid please forgive my sub-par American education (I'm ashamed of it too).

Have you ever posted here under a different name ? 😂😂

Mmm.

We did not out play the US. Actually, we were slightly outplayed I think. They hit a post, we had some close call clearances. They had possession and more control of the match. Sure we nabbed a result, and I think it was deserved. But we did not outplay them. 

We did not outplay Honduras either, we wasted the first half, and did not get going until late. 

Both matches we got scored on late and reacted late, we did not impose a game plan in either. Same pattern seen in the GC. 

Both of these matches had one thing in common: we did not dominate the midfield, as if we had no mids to do it with. For all those insisting the GC was so important--it was so important we have not repeated the high press that was successful in the last three matches there, and we have not fully populated our midfield like we did there. So we have not, really, even drawn from the successful points of that tournament for these matches. Nor have we corrected weak points, like poor set plays, no shots from the top of the box, or silly cards and not being disciplined. 

I'd like to see the energetic press, taking the ball back, some talent in the middle to move the ball around. Sure, let's give Herdman a good grade for this match, but it was not a great coaching job, just a solid one.

9 hours ago, vancanman said:

I disagree.  That's just typical of US athletes, and their coaches wouldn't see anything wrong with it.  It's engrained in their culture and beaten into their squishy little heads when they're in school that the US is the best at everything, and there's no such thing as arrogance.

I played and coached for some years in the US and this is exactly true.  They truly believe they are the greatest in everything (not just sport & soccer).  It's actually quite embarrassing to hold conversations with them about their teams and soccer in general.  One thing I have noticed as well is that high level soccer players in the US (NCAA and low level professionals) surprisingly lack knowledge of the game in general and many do not even pay attention to world football at all.  The same levelled players from Canada are quite opposite from everything I have learned over the years.