WCQ: USA vs Canada - Sunday, Sept 5th, 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Nashville

14 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Lol. Usmnt seems like a dumpster fire right now. If they dont win in Honduras its going to explode. 

I’m generally not the type of person that gets off on the US failing and I generally wish them well unless they’re playing us, but I kind of want them to drop points against Honduras just for the ensuing entertainment value. And of course a draw would do nicely for our position in the table.

15 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Wow. Let me get this straight.

Weston's old man says his son is a better person cause he hasn't ratted out his teammates who ALSO broke protocol?!?!

Yeah I don't think that tweet's gonna help the situation there pap's.

I would expect a father to come to the defence of his son each and every time but suggesting he took the high road by not throwing fellow teammates under the bus is laughable. He did the wrong and got caught simple as that. 

17 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

I came home from Nashville to find YouTubeTV didn't record the game for me, and the replay FS1 showed last night was the edited version they show in re-airings!

Anyone know where I might be able to D/L a full copy of the game?   Torrent of the match even?   Are torrents still a thing?

14 hours ago, Floortom said:

I asked the same thing yesterday with no responses. Couldnt find it anywhere on the web either so might not be possible

Don't think a download is possible (unless you have some video capture software like Audials), but pretty sure the game is here.

16 hours ago, red card said:

An average of 393k watched US vs Canada on TSN.

Versus the recent Euros, it would rank in the third quartile. Finland vs Russia in the morning was one of the lowest at 201k. England matches got 900k+. About 7 matches got over 1 million.

Vs Canadian MLS in the past couple of years, it is on the higher end. But lower than most TFC playoff matches when they reached MLS Cup Finals.

Overlapping the soccer was Bombers vs Riders which got 980k. This game is part of the Banjo Bowl and is usually one of the CFL's most watched regular season games.

Another Canada vs USA match up last Tuesday (women's hockey final) got 836k.

I don’t think it’s too bad. This is a starting point in terms of gathering interest for this team. Every other event listed has established viewership / history to fall back on. 

If they keep playing the way they are and the CSA steps up their marketing, the audience will come. Not overnight, but eventually. 

We make the WC, that same game in the next qualifying cycle draws double. 

8 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

Wow. Let me get this straight.

Weston's old man says his son is a better person cause he hasn't ratted out his teammates who ALSO broke protocol?!?!

Yeah I don't think that tweet's gonna help the situation there pap's.

That was my first thought when I read that.  

"People love (it) when it fits there narrative."  His spelling isn't helping anything either.

52 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Don't think a download is possible (unless you have some video capture software like Audials), but pretty sure the game is here.

"We're sorry.  This content is only available for viewing in Canada."   Oh well

However, just below that, I see they've decided Phonzie's not playing in El Salvador.  I never thought I'd see the day when we have a truly world class player get injured and it's not going to completely kill any chance of us getting an away result in CONCACRAP.   

Actually, I never thought I'd see the day when we have a truly world class player...or two...or three...

16 hours ago, red card said:

An average of 393k watched US vs Canada on TSN.

Versus the recent Euros, it would rank in the third quartile. Finland vs Russia in the morning was one of the lowest at 201k. England matches got 900k+. About 7 matches got over 1 million.

Vs Canadian MLS in the past couple of years, it is on the higher end. But lower than most TFC playoff matches when they reached MLS Cup Finals.

Overlapping the soccer was Bombers vs Riders which got 980k. This game is part of the Banjo Bowl and is usually one of the CFL's most watched regular season games.

Another Canada vs USA match up last Tuesday (women's hockey final) got 836k.

Fascinating numbers!  Women’s hockey final was a quiet night with few options. Baseball again tonight. I’m amazed how CFL can draw. 

I'm with Weston's Dad on this one. He for sure should be punished by whatever criteria usmnt has in place but that doesn't make him any kinda bad person. People build people up too much and vice versa.

He's just a kid doing dumb kid stuff. It's a bunch of whatever plus lets be real, this bubble stuff and covid stuff is stupid. 24hrs later he's playing a soccer game in a stadium packed with 40k people and hundreds of staff. Lets get real for 1 second 

Yeah, everyone and their dog has probably put forth their opinion on this, so here's mine:

It was dumb for him to break the team protocol, no matter how stupid the protocol was.

However, I think it's less about the kid being a bad apple who doesn't respect authority and more about him taking issue with the nature of these specific protocols, which are arguably over the top.

I get it though, in this context he should shut up and fall in line for the greater good.

But in a wider context I have respect for those who don't follow stupid rules blindly just to get along. 

So given that and the fact this hurts the USA, I definitely support Weston's actions :)

Isnt Steffen out with Covid now?? And Pusilic just coming off Covid??  This isnt some sort of hypothetical problem that breaking protocol might cause.  You get pulled from the team or infect your team mates and they miss the WCQ its a big deal.  Remember the freak outs over players with supposed poor attitudes that were late for training (Boakai/Tabla)???  

1 hour ago, Ruud said:

Fascinating numbers!  Women’s hockey final was a quiet night with few options. Baseball again tonight. I’m amazed how CFL can draw. 

Baseball is becoming tougher to battle against with the Jays making a late playoff push. Also future windows we'll have the Raptors and NHL teams (not just Leafs, giving away my location...) as well... I don't expect the numbers to be amazing, but if they can consistently get to MLS Playoff number range, that should be considered a big win

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, everyone and their dog has probably put forth their opinion on this, so here's mine:

It was dumb for him to break the team protocol, no matter how stupid the protocol was.

However, I think it's less about the kid being a bad apple who doesn't respect authority and more about him taking issue with the nature of these specific protocols, which are arguably over the top.

I get it though, in this context he should shut up and fall in line for the greater good.

But in a wider context I have respect for those who don't follow stupid rules blindly just to get along. 

So given that and the fact this hurts the USA, I definitely support Weston's actions :)

No offence, but reading some sort of deeper motive into this seems like a case of projection.  Barring info to the contrary, I suspect he was just looking to have more fun than the rules permitted (rather than fighting against unjust rules).  

17 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

As long as Priso avoids the hockey style "finishing the check" that Adams did on Kaye and killed a really dangerous attacking build up sequence in the process, he'll be fine.

TBH I thought that was Kaye throwing himself across Adam’s and claiming the foul to stop the attack. Not a bad move to have in your pocket!

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

No offence, but reading some sort of deeper motive into this seems like a case of projection.  Barring info to the contrary, I suspect he was just looking to have more fun than the rules permitted (rather than fighting against unjust rules).  

Aside from the Juventus incident, are there any other examples of McKennie being a bad apple? 

I agree with your suspicion he is just looking to have more fun than the rules permit, but so far he's only broken rules when they involve COVID, so maybe that's not a coincidence.

It's not like he's been chronically breaking rules across the board (as far as I know). I haven't seen any other blemishes.

Clearly there is some degree to which he does not respect some COVID rules. Beyond that who knows where he's at.

12 hours ago, Cblake said:

I would expect a father to come to the defence of his son each and every time but suggesting he took the high road by not throwing fellow teammates under the bus is laughable. He did the wrong and got caught simple as that. 

And in doing so, didn't HE just throw them under the bus? This is laughable.

Let's not make McKennie some kind of warrior against oppression.  He was asked to play for the national team for around a week, and as part of that he was asked to stay in some kind of COVID bubble for 7ish days.  Yes, the bubble may be overly cautious but its a risk/reward scenario.  The risk here is that a good chunk of your roster gets infected and you can't field a team.  And then you look like a bunch of dopes because all you had to do was avoid crowds for 7 days and wear some masks.  How would we react if 6 of our guys couldn't play vs. El Salvador because they went out for dinner downtown and caught COVID from their waiter?

This is all voluntary.  You can't follow these rules, then don't come.  It's that simple.

**edit** I can't type.

Edited by AvroArrow

7 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Let's not make McKennie some kind of warrior against oppression.  He was asked to play for the national team for around a week, and as part of that he was asked to stay in some kind of COVID bubble for 7ish days.  Yes, the bubble may be overly cautious but its a risk/reward scenario.  The risk is here is that a good chunk of your roster gets infected and you can't field a team.  And then you look like a bunch of dopes because all you had to do was avoid crowds for 7 days and wear some masks.  How would we react if 6 of our guys can't play vs. El Salvador because they went out for dinner downtown and caught COVID from their waiter?

This is all voluntary.  You can't follow these rules, then don't come.  It's that simple.

But a bunch of our guys did go out the night before the Honduras match...they were at the Jays game.

1 minute ago, masster said:

But a bunch of our guys did go out the night before the Honduras match...they were at the Jays game.

This is the first I've heard of this, so I don't really know all the facts and Google isn't helping me.  But if they were out mingling with the general public, all got COVID, and then missed the USA and El Salvador game, this board would be up in arms.  And rightfully so.

From the clip of every other guy getting of the bus with a mask (prob 30 people), and he is the only one not following the rules tells you all you need to know.  Its funny how the world has gotten so F#CKED the last few years.  I see a guy breaking the rules and I think asshole, selfish.  I dont care if its be on time to meetings, do the space visualization room with herdman, wear a suit and tie on the team bus, be in your hotel room at 11 (not with a lady friend) and if you dissappear for the night dont bother coming back.   But some people see it as fighting against oppression, or some bullshit about "rights".