WCQ: USA vs Canada - Sunday, Sept 5th, 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Nashville

18 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

I watched the one hour version of Sportscenter and the Jay Onrait version and both showed extended highlights of the game followed by comments from Kilbane and De Guzman. It was second on both broadcasts right after U.S. Open highlights.

The version I watched was 11:30 am so maybe that has something to do with it, a late edit towards the end. 

9 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

If Aaronson's attitude in any way reflects that of the entire program, then the US has a big problem. Feeling entitled to your superiority without first proving you are indeed superior is a sure path to self-destruction. Self-belief with a dose of humility is powerful, and that is what our program is showing thus far. We've got a long ways to go to meet our goals, but we aren't spouting cry-baby crap like Aaronson did. Lots of games yet to play, and the US is one of the deeper squads for sure, but don't think for a second that Honduras, El Salvador and Panama (even Costa Rica and Jamaica) didn't learn a thing or two from last night's match about how you play the Yanks at home.  Hell, the central americans have had this figured out long before we did.  Let's see how they respond in San Pedro Sula on Wednesday. If I was a US fan, I'd be worried about the team's mentality at the moment. Professor Berhalter might have a culture problem on his hands.

Isn’t this the culture of their whole fan base? Instead of saying Canada played well and are a good opponent they’re all saying “USA talent is so superior that it must be the coaches fault we aren’t winning” They fail to realize that our region is becoming more competitive and everyone is dropping points. (Except for Mexico so far) 

11 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Was looking for highlights this morning and all I could find was a 2 min video titled USA 1 - CAN 0. I was pretty bummed but got very excited when Canada did score. The highlights were a bit odd splicing together different commentaries. I think at one point a Spanish speaking commentator referred to Tajon as a tornado. 

That's what I was stuck with as well.  

At least it's better than absolutely zero highlights of the rugby team's wc qualifier win against the US, since it wasn't even on TV apparently.

29 minutes ago, vancanman said:

I've always avoided conflict and I am pretty sure I've never sworn on this forum, but for this Aaronson character, I've decided to make an exception:  

Go fuck yourself, you chinless weasel.  Your assessment of how Canada played is more of a description of your effort in this interview, ya twat.  I'm sure there's a bag of piss with your name on it waiting for you in Honduras.

Thank you for allowing me this indulgence, and I'll go back to being my usual dignified self now.

Aaronson is what happens when you start to believe your own press clippings. I've been listening to a lot of American commentators talking about their team the past week. Jeeze, the arrogance was insufferable.

I had this notion for awhile but wasn't completely convinced of it. Many of the players on this Canadian team are woefully undervalued. Transfrmarket is one example. People like Johnston, Laryea,  Eustaquio, even Buchanan are criminally under rated and that's why you get an arrogant little snot nose like Aaronson make stupid comments like he did.

5 hours ago, Addona said:

It's ridiculous ... BUT, he is very young.  He'll learn.  I'm sure the American coaching staff has already talked to him about it, and if not, that's the sort of thing that's been holding back the U.S., quite frankly.  It's that kind of arrogance that makes one believe that everything is just fine with us ... it's them that "didn't want to play".

I disagree.  That's just typical of US athletes, and their coaches wouldn't see anything wrong with it.  It's engrained in their culture and beaten into their squishy little heads when they're in school that the US is the best at everything, and there's no such thing as arrogance.

3 minutes ago, vancanman said:

I disagree.  That's just typical of US athletes, and their coaches wouldn't see anything wrong with it.  It's engrained in their culture and beaten into their squishy little heads when they're in school that the US is the best at everything, and there's no such thing as arrogance.

This is 100% correct.  I married an sweet little american girl and that is exactly what she thinks.  

37 minutes ago, vancanman said:

I've always avoided conflict and I am pretty sure I've never sworn on this forum, but for this Aaronson character, I've decided to make an exception:  

Go fuck yourself, you chinless weasel.  Your assessment of how Canada played is more of a description of your effort in this interview, ya twat.  I'm sure there's a bag of piss with your name on it waiting for you in Honduras.

Thank you for allowing me this indulgence, and I'll go back to being my usual dignified self now.

He was right in what he said but it is the game plan we needed given that it was an away game in Concacaf WCQ.  When the americans go to Azteca, they will be playing (or trying to play) exactly the same way that Canada played last night.  I would call him naive but he wasnt necessarily wrong because that is World cup qualifying soccer.  

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Removing the highlights and any mention of the broadcast or game the next morning from their show was a calculated move. They spent 12 minutes on golf, CFL highlights and a brief mention of the Argentina/Brazil WCQ incident but couldn't give even thirty seconds to the game they themselves broadcast? I have to say it was intentionally done, and they have their reasons like I previously mentioned of course.

I will agree with the latter bolded area. It seems like this is what caused SN to pay for the rights from OneSoccer. 

You are picturing a level of sophistication I don’t think exists with some micro move coming in the name of broadcast rights the TSN could probably have for next to nothing.

I picture the morning crew coming in, a producer in the vein of Bob McCown looking through a highlight pack half hungover with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. He scans down the list and inevitably lands on the CMNT pack, cuts it out without a second thought cause in his world that’s been a rating black hole for decades. He prioritizes what he always does and then refreshes the back end with new filler (which ironically includes soccer). 

14 minutes ago, Free kick said:

He was right in what he said but it is the game plan we needed given that it was an away game in Concacaf WCQ.  When the americans go to Azteca, they will be playing (or trying to play) exactly the same way that Canada played last night.  I would call him naive but he wasnt necessarily wrong because that is World cup qualifying soccer.  

Except Canada had more scoring chances than the US did.

20 minutes ago, vancanman said:

The positive spin on this of course is they aim to be the best and nothing is done without the pursuit of being #1. 

Having previously lived in the US for several years, I thought their broader approach to competitiveness in sport was pretty good. Even as a youth player, you don’t just sign up for something to take a punt, there’s an expectation you put in the work and make progress in your trade (so to speak). By comparison, we get wrapped up in cheering for the underdog and participation being something special in itself. The flip side is, playing is not enjoyed the same way it is here. The regimented nature in the US burns people out and takes the joy out of playing. 

But all that said I still completely agree with your broader point: they occasionally delude themselves into believing they are bettter than they are. Introspection is not their forte. Dare I say it, football / sport isn’t the only frontier where the aura of American Exceptionalism is crashing against actual failures with really strange public discourse following.

8 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

The positive spin on this of course is they aim to be the best and nothing is done without the pursuit of being #1. 

Having previously lived in the US for several years, I thought their broader approach to competitiveness in sport was pretty good. Even as a youth player, you don’t just sign up for something to take a punt, there’s an expectation you put in the work and make progress in your trade (so to speak). By comparison, we get wrapped up in cheering for the underdog and participation being something special in itself. The flip side is, playing is not enjoyed the same way it is here. The regimented nature in the US burns people out and takes the joy out of playing. 

But all that said I still completely agree with your broader point: they occasionally delude themselves into believing they are bettter than they are. Introspection is not their forte. Dare I say it, football / sport isn’t the only frontier where the aura of American Exceptionalism is crashing against actual failures with really strange public discourse following.

I agree with you completely.  We could use just a bit more swagger with things other than hockey, especially outside the world of sport, but we don't want to overdo it (not that we ever could or would).

When I watched the interview, I didn't get the impression that he thought they were way better than us.  I figured that they had put together a plan that expected us to push on the attack and they could then counterattack (like in that last win against us where they scored four goals).  Maybe they had some tactical tweaks based on the last Gold Cup match between us.  Us not playing that way left them a bit discombobulated, and he was disappointed with all that planning and preparation just getting in the way.

4 hours ago, Addona said:

Have fun!  :)

Kaye_Adams_Meme.png

ACTUAL TRANSCRIPT!

"Man, were you right.  He IS one entitled little prick.  He was like "Your Bayern guy isn't all that" and I'm like "When you guyz try to keep up with him it's funny" and he's like "Fu'k you MLS" so I give him "Stop it, bench warmer, you're breaking my heart." and then he walks away shit faced. I'm like "What?  Done already.  You don't wanna play anymore, BITCH?

"My sypmpathies, Man.  Good luck with that one." 

1 hour ago, Craig11rm said:

Isn’t this the culture of their whole fan base? Instead of saying Canada played well and are a good opponent they’re all saying “USA talent is so superior that it must be the coaches fault we aren’t winning” They fail to realize that our region is becoming more competitive and everyone is dropping points. (Except for Mexico so far) 

That's what I was thinking all along.

1 hour ago, vancanman said:

When I was growing up in the 1920s (LOL) the USA was on a pedestal, the most powerful country in the world and of course there was the good 'ol Canadian inferiority complex.  But US influence and power has been steadily eroded and I think that has subconsciously entered our psyche.  We just don't "fear" them like we used to (on the sporting fields).  I think there is still something there but no where near like there used to be. 

The Vancouver 2010 Olympics was a great example, little Canada was on top of the world.  That was unthinkable for most of my early lifetime.  I posted earlier about Canada facing the USA in women's basketball at the PanAm games.  I knew the US was going to lose before the game even began, that was unthinkable years ago.  Many people love to make anti American sentiments but I try and separate that from the reality.  Is this a bad team/athlete or just anti Americanism, well we don't need to bother with the political stuff anymore, we can come up with just as good an athlete as they do.  Before nobody would believe that but as Vancouver 2010 showed, if you put the work and resources into it (as Herdman has) it can happen.

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Maybe, but I don’t think so, Herdman said he was gonna play in the Gold Cup. Nothing against Hutch and Eustáquio because they played well, but Kaye and Osorio didn’t play well. Plus we didn’t get any offence from the midfield. We are gonna need more fire power vs Mexico, Jamaica and Panama. Mexico is Mexico, Jamaica if they get their shit together they could be very dangerous and Panama looks really good! 
Game vs El Salvador is a must WIN. Because the next window will be hell!

Don't get me wrong, I want Arfield in the team because I want our best players, especially when Weston McKennie will be in that American midfield next time, I just get the vibe that Herdman decided it's better for the squad atmosphere without him there

29 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

That's what I was thinking all along.

Yeah, and to be clear, I give a rat's ass if the Yanks acknowledge us in any way. Part of being successful is not giving a damn what others think, of course.  What I find pathetic is how whingy and butt-hurt he seemed, and how he did not acknowledge his team's role in this result. It was like: "How dare those Canadians not play exactly like we needed them to play. I mean, who do they think they are."

We be cold-blooded on the pitch, and classy off.  It is the Canadian Way.  Forget swagger: we don't need to swing our Benitos to prove anything to the world. We fight for each other, we play smart, we hurt you where you live, and then we take the high road.  And we're only getting better.