WCQ: Third Round - Window 1 (September 2-8, 2021)

Shway

Just now, king1010 said:

Do we need Liam FRaserand Piette? Think Liam Millar is deserving of a call. 

Naw…middle will need the most rotation, as it’s most likely to accumulate cards/being tired.

Millar isn’t deserving, and considering we have Buchanan, Davies, David, Larin, Laryea…I understand the omission. 

I personally would’ve like to see ZBG the squad, but at this point we are just looking g to say “this guy should be in”….because this is our best squad to date - no cap lol 

10 minutes ago, Shway said:

Please no more mentions of the “GrEaT” Arfield. 

Solid squad nevertheless….no new faces.

Yes.  Thank you. And more impotantly,  while we are at it.  I wish people would stop with the surprise or shock that some of these totally unknown/unseen players (from the lower division) who’ve proven nothing,  are not called. 

Edited by Free kick

Quite likely Jebbison wants to sort his club situation. The window closes right away and he is likely on the move. So not too wound up about that. Dias and Flores are would have obviously been great, maybe they will come and train with the squad like the latter was going to last January. Both are getting good reserve minutes and progress though and have options so wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to commit/just come train right now. 

As @youllneverwalkalonesays we need the strongest experienced squad. Time to blood youngsters later. This is pretty much as strong as we get. Happy with the squad. 

1 minute ago, narduch said:

My guess is the 'stand-by' players are from the 3 MLS teams. And can be brought in on short notice.

This is probably the only window they can do that though.

Shame about Priso's injury because I bet he would be that type of player.  Apart from Akindele, I wonder who that list would comprise (Waterman?)

Just now, narduch said:

Any glaring omissions?

I think the only thing I might change is actually bring in Breza for Pantemis. But no big deal its the 3rd keeper.

Not really an omission but I am a little concerned about Wotherspoon, he probably won't get a ton of game time but he also just (most likely) recovered from COVID, hasn't trained at all, and just made it onto the bench. 

4 minutes ago, RS said:

CSA loves to have extra players in camp that they don't mention in the official releases. I'd bet this is the case again.

Yes, but in the past its usually 16 or 17 year olds that aren't quite there yet or players waiting on paperwork (Akinola and Singh).  That's a scary proposition if something less than ideal happens and extra bodies are needed.

I'm thinking that if they have any full professionals (ie. first team MLS players) they would have to include them in the callup list.  Nothing to base that on, just a hunch. 

Just now, frattinator said:

Not really an omission but I am a little concerned about Wotherspoon, he probably won't get a ton of game time but he also just (most likely) recovered from COVID, hasn't trained at all, and just made it onto the bench. 

Hopefully he plays today and the weekend.

29 minutes ago, Dinozotti said:

Where can we watch his press conference today?

I thought I'd heard that it will be on OneSoccer.  Tune in now because they're showing Canada-Haiti, so you can listen to Wheels to get in the mood while you wait.

Edit: maybe not.  He'll be on OneSoccer later tonight.

Edited by El Hombre

7 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Quite likely Jebbison wants to sort his club situation. The window closes right away and he is likely on the move. So not too wound up about that. Dias and Flores are would have obviously been great, maybe they will come and train with the squad like the latter was going to last January. Both are getting good reserve minutes and progress though and have options so wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to commit/just come train

Come on guys!   We have a good team now 2021.  Why are we even still thinking about these kind players with this kind of resume for our national team?  

Edited by Free kick

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

Come on guys!   We have a good team now 2021.  Why are we even still thinking about these kind players with this kind of resume for our national team?  

Would have to agree.  If we were bringing in a 26-man roster, there might be a spot or two available for them, but none are better options than what has been brought.

Further to that, not sure what opportunities there will be to cap any of them anyways.  These are important games.  I wouldn't want to waste even garbage time minutes on a cynical cap unless the game was well in hand.  Travelling with the team does have its benefits though.

14 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Yes, but in the past its usually 16 or 17 year olds that aren't quite there yet or players waiting on paperwork (Akinola and Singh).  That's a scary proposition if something less than ideal happens and extra bodies are needed.

Like Covid protocol?  It's probably better to keep taxi squad guys away from the main squad instead of going with a full 26 man camp.  NFL  teams kept one QB away from the main team precisely for that reason last season (perhaps this year, too).  I'm okay with the 23 guys they have. 

Edited by BearcatSA