WCQ: Third Round - Window 1 (September 2-8, 2021)

Shway

Serie A just made essentially the same announcement as La Liga and Premier League and it will support clubs that do not release players who would face quarantine upon re-entry. Has no impact on concacaf AFAIK but with all these leagues and clubs uniting, FIFA will be powerless and I don’t expect things to change for this first window at least

2 minutes ago, johnyb said:

This sucks for everyone with One Soccer but not all the TSN channels. I for one was planning on watching this from my cottage where I have Wifi but no cable. 

I broke down and got TSN for the Euros and didn't cancel it yet. May need to keep it awhile longer.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Oh, and on the topic of OneSoccer not having the USA game, that sucks too. I would be subscribed whether OneSoccer had any World Cup Qualifiers or not because I want the CPL content, but it's dishonest how they marketed it. I also like to spread the word and tell people about OneSoccer and have told people that's what they need to watch Qualifiers. I'm not aware of anybody taking me up on it yet and signing up, but it bothers me that I have told several people this and it's just not true.

When I made my quote I assumed onesoccer was still broadcasting the game as well and that TSN had just paid Fox to show the game.  I have no idea how the rights work.  I'd be curious if onesoccer had the rights and sold them or they don't have the rights to away games and TSN outbid them.  What does that mean for future windows.  Will TSN potentially get more away games?  I'm unaware of the how the TV rights work.  I just noticed on my TV that TSN is showing the match.

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

From what I’ve been told, One Soccer does not have the rights to the away games. Sounds like they are held by the home federation and so it’s likely TSN somehow got them from the USSF (by way of ESPN perhaps). Unfortunately OS may not have gotten anything for this. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

The game is on FS1 in the US. ESPN has nothing to do with this.

More than likely TSN outbid One Soccer for this game.

Thanks. Now that you guys mention it, I do vaguely remember hearing this

1 hour ago, johnyb said:

This sucks for everyone with One Soccer but not all the TSN channels. I for one was planning on watching this from my cottage where I have Wifi but no cable. 

You say you don't have all the TSN channels? Or do you mean just at the cottage? If you do subscribe to TSN (not sure if you need all of them or just 1 of them) then you can probably stream it from their website. Maybe test that out.

1 hour ago, johnyb said:

You should be able to stream from the TSN app if you have them as part of your home cable package.

I see a scenario (and I’m really rooting for this) where all this chaos might help our qualification chances - if difficult away matches need to be moved to neutral locations.  But I also see a possibility where we may get screwed and have to play away matches in future windows without significant Euro based players.

17 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

I see a scenario (and I’m really rooting for this) where all this chaos might help our qualification chances - if difficult away matches need to be moved to neutral locations.  But I also see a possibility where we may get screwed and have to play away matches in future windows without significant Euro based players.

In that very shitty scenario where everyone loses their European players, we are surely affected but at least Jamaica would be more decimated (they already are just from the UK fiasco). Costa Rica would be significantly weakened, too. Hard to say whether they'd be more hurt from that than us. I would say the Americans and Mexicans would be no less hard done than we'd be.

El Salvador would come out of it the least unscathed, followed by Panama and Honduras. Then it's probably Costa Rica, Canada/USA/Mexico, then finally Jamaica who would be most screwed over.

Edited by Obinna

This is going to benefit teams with strong domestic /MLS/Central & South American based players ....Honduras, Panama & ES for that 3rd or 4th spot. I hope our MLS contingent is up to the task, but if this ban on players continues our chances in CA away games just took a hit. Mexico should be ok. Another reason to develop domestic players and have a strong domestic league.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

In that very shitty scenario where everyone loses their European players, we are surely affected but at least Jamaica would be more decimated (they already are just from the UK fiasco). Costa Rica would be significantly weakened, too. Hard to say whether they'd be more hurt from that than us. I would say the Americans and Mexicans would be no less hard done than we'd be.

El Salvador would come out of it the least unscathed, followed by Panama and Honduras. Then it's probably Costa Rica, Canada/USA/Mexico, then finally Jamaica who would be most screwed over.

On the "plus" side for us some of our European players play in countries that are pretty lax on the whole thing.

Think we could throw out a "domestic+others" 11 of Borjan, Adekugbe, Miller, Sturing, Layrea, Buchanan, Hutchinson, Kaye, Osorio, Larin, Cavallini.  Could be a lot worse...

3 hours ago, RS said:

Yikes.

We'll see if they'll have to remove the Mexico game in October as well.

In a tweet today by the Head of Content, Kurt Larson, he says to join OS for 13 qualifiers. Adam Jenkins also noted on discord that Mediapro's Spanish honchos were at the head office this week.

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, Kent said:

If I was on twitter, I would save this tweet to revisit it later if needed.

Plenty of time to still "sell out" hopefully but I'm not sure I would call ~12k to date by my estimate based on remaining TicketMaster availability for the:

• 1st Canadian home game in god knows how long
  • 1st time a decent team (Revs aside) has played at BMO in god knows how long
  • 1st WCQ in a final round in Canada in god knows how long
  • Best most entertaining Canadian team the nation has possibly ever seen

as "strong". 

Edited by grigorio

Not really sure if this is addressed because I haven't read thru this entire thread but.. is it possible that TSN is not respecting the deal Onesoccer made with the CSA and is broadcasting the away game striking up a deal with FOX and just basically saying if you don't like it, what are you going to do about it? Those away games will be broadcasted on Onesoccer and TSN? 

Is this possible? Could explain why Vic was spitting fire towards TSN a few weeks ago

7 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Not really sure if this is addressed because I haven't read thru this entire thread but.. is it possible that TSN is not respecting the deal Onesoccer made with the CSA and is broadcasting the away game striking up a deal with FOX and just basically saying if you don't like it, what are you going to do about it? Those away games will be broadcasted on Onesoccer and TSN? 

Is this possible? Could explain why Vic was spitting fire towards TSN a few weeks ago

No. That's not how sports rights work. You can't just bully your way in like that.

The simple answer is that all individual FA's own the rights to their own home WCQ matches. So technically One Soccer is only guaranteed Canada's home games. They have to negotiate with the other 7 nations to secure the broadcast rights for the road games.

TSN negotiated with USSF to obtain the rights to the September 5 match. 

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

It would be stupid and cheap of the CSA not bringing more than 23.

Anyway I’m calling a 26 man squad.

Exactly. This is not the time to penny pinch. We have a very favourable travel schedule this window and need a strong start. No easy teams but in context this is a great way to open qualifying and need to take advantage of it.