WCQ: Third Round - Window 1 (September 2-8, 2021)

Shway

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

My starting 11:

David - Larin 

Davies- Hutchinson- Osorio- Buchanan 

———-Eustaquio —————

———Miller - Vitoria -Johnston 

——— Borjan——

That looks like mine. What a stacked squad we got for these rounds... so glad to see Hutch play in meaningful WCQ games this late in the qualifying for once! IS IT SEPT 2 YET???????

18 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Nobody has answered that question for me.

It would be unfair given that 5 of the teams begin at this round but with FIFA/CONCACAF you just never know.

I believe it is pretty clear, and yes it is unfair.

Section 15 Yellow cards: https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/2df8816f3b27563c/original/r6gcejmanhw27gzaa9xb-pdf.pdf

FIFA only defines two phases of competition for the World Cup 2022 cycle: preliminary, and finals. If a player receives two cautions in two different matches, he will be automatically suspended from his team’s subsequent match.

No considerations for multiple phases of qualification with different teams entering at different points are written.

Maybe there is something else, but I can't see it.

Vitoria (vs. Aruba), Davies (vs. Suriname), Kaye, Laryea (vs Haiti leg 1), Henry, Hoilett (vs. Haiti leg 2) are on yellows.

Just now, GasPed said:

Disappointing to me to not see Wotherspoon on the list.  I haven't seen much of him, but what I have seen, I've been impressed with.  When on form, I think he's one of our top 4 mids.

I think Wotherspoon will see some minutes.

Quick analysis of the squads we will be facing:

USA: Essentially their strongest possible squad, Musah and Dike the most notable omissions. I think we all keep an eye on them so really no need to talk about who their best players are. 

El Salvador: Like the US it is very close to their best possible roster. Best players being Zavaleta (Toronto), Roldan (Seattle) and Ceren (Houston). Enrico Hernandez is a top dual-national (relative to their pool) that's also on their squad. Former Netherlands youth international who plays for Vitesse but is on loan in the Eerste Divisie. 

Honduras: They're missing two decent forwards in Alberth Ellis (Bordeaux) and Bryan Rochez (Nacional). Notables in the squad are Flores (Panetolikos), Quioto (Montreal), Lozano (Cadiz) and Rivas (Reginna).

I think it goes without saying that we should be getting a minimum of 6 points from this window. El Salvador should be a walk over while Honduras will be tougher but we should still prevail. 

Edited by Atlantic

7 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Quick analysis of the squads we will be facing:

USA: Essentially their strongest possible squad, Munsah and Dike the most notable omissions. I think we all keep an eye on them so really no need to talk about who their best players are. 

El Salvador: Like the US it is very close to their best possible roster. Best players being Zavaleta (Toronto), Roldan (Seattle) and Ceren (Houston). Enrico Hernandez is a top dual-national (relative to their pool) that's also on their squad. Former Netherlands youth international who plays for Vitesse but is on loan in the Eerste Divisie. 

Honduras: They're missing two decent forwards in Alberth Ellis (Bordeaux) and Bryan Rochez (Nacional). Notables in the squad are Flores (Panetolikos), Quioto (Montreal), Lozano (Cadiz) and Rivas (Reginna).

I think it goes without saying that we should be getting a minimum of 6 points from this window. El Salvador should be a walk over while Honduras will be tougher but we should still prevail. 

Thanks for that. 

Will be interesting to see what kind of shape Quioto is in given his lack of playing time recently due to injury. 

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

We already called a thin squad of 23 - one of the guys isnt even guaranteed to be available at all. I really cant make sense of this strategy.

Yeah...am I wrong in saying that up front we are insanely strong yet also wafer thin? Hopefully Tesho (maybe Pasher?) is in a taxi squad...

8 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Yeah...am I wrong in saying that up front we are insanely strong yet also wafer thin? Hopefully Tesho (maybe Pasher?) is in a taxi squad...

Not great but Hoilett and Tajon played a bit up front/middle attacking in the GC.  Davies also played up with David vs USA at BMO. We have Laryea, Adekugbe and possibly ZBG who could slot into the wingback position

For those asking about the cards and subs. 

Cards carry until the start of the world cup. That includes the inter-confed game. 

5 sub rule and water break in all Fifa competitions until further notice (it might become permanent).

Fifa was also recently testing a new sub format where yellows would act like a 5 minute timeout where you play down the guy who got a yellow.