WCQ: Third Round - Window 1 (September 2-8, 2021)

Shway

These squads are never going to be what everyone wants, I am overall pleased we have a core of players to get the job done in this very important opening window, the 3 matches in a week means we need some depth! I am disappointed with the Arfield omission and I think Millar should be in the squad especially with Cav's uncertainty, I would have like to have seen one of the young uncommitted players in the squad but we should be almost as strong as possible with this roster!

2 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Just when I thought there wasn’t another way to spin this

only other thought is that the leadership group said no and Herdman complied.

I respect this, and understand that the cons might've outweighed the pros for the group right now.

I hope that this is a wake up call for Arfield to decide if he's dedicated to the program, and able to make amends with players in the squad. We've given him the armband in the past and he's given us some really good performances, I hope this saga doesn't have a sour ending.

2 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I'm on board with this.  Team chemistry can be just as important as talent.

I completely agree - when I suggested that Herdman was going to have a hard think after Hoilett’s comments and his conviction on that radio show a month ago that Arfield was coming a lot of people on this board said that the players would need to be professional and get over it.

4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Like Covid protocol?  It's probably better to keep taxi squad guys away from the main squad instead of going with a full 26 man camp.  NFL  teams kept one QB away from the main team precisely for that reason last season (perhaps this year, too).  I'm okay with a 23 guys they have. 

I guess the Broncos never got that memo!🤣

3 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Just when I thought there wasn’t another way to spin this

only other thought is that the leadership group said no and Herdman complied.

I like this. The team really seem to be building chemistry, bringing in a "captain" who thought he was too good to show up for the games against minnows isn't what the new bonding is all about. I'm fine leaving him out.

But on the other hand, it is Wheeler reporting this so who knows if it's even accurate.

5 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I completely agree - when I suggested that Herdman was going to have a hard think after Hoilett’s comments and his conviction on that radio show a month ago that Arfield was coming a lot of people on this board said that the players would need to be professional and get over it.

Can you elaborate?  I may have missed his comments 

Just now, gator said:

Re: Arfield, do we really know exactly why he wasn't there? Do we have a different set of rules for Hutchinson because he has longer service?

Age may also be a factor. Think everyone understands an important player being selective in their late 30s. 

3 minutes ago, gator said:

Agree, Arfield and Hutchinson are in that group!

Except that Atiba has been accepting senior men's national team callups longer than Daniel Jebbison has been alive. I don't think anyone is in a place where they can question Atiba's dedication to our program.

Arfield doesn't get the same exception because he only has 19 caps for the NT.

Why. Do. People. Continue. To. Compare. Hutchinson. To. Arfield 

Fucking stop please!

Hutch showed up this year, Arfield didn’t.
Hutch has quadruple the amount of caps/service with the MNT.

It’s infuriating to read.
Everyone O̶n̶t̶a̶r̶i̶o̶ Canadian born and raised player has tons of respect for Atiba. Ask Laryea, Larin, Hutchinson, Henry, Johnston, Osorio, Cavallini, Buchanan, Kaye…etc. 

It’s different levels of respect. Arfield clearly hasn’t gotten that from them. 

Edited by Shway