Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

12 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Nah. The man has thin skin. He's rude to his cohosts, and likes to ditch out BS but gets extremely defensive when called out. No one doubts he knows his soccer stuff, that has never been a point of contention, but his character, whether fictional or his true self, is a problem. FFS who tf does this clown think he can interrupt Hume on TV? Crap like that. His over the top approach to things used to be charming/hilarious, but he's slowly transitioned into a Don Cherry like loud mouth, just no.

This. It's almost cartoonish when Wheeler is on. Again, I have agreed with him on certain things and I think he does a good job of general reporting on the CMNT. I just can't stand listening to him call games, and like you said, be rude to other guests as a panelist. It's mind-blowing no one has thought about trying someone else out for in-match commentary. 

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

I mean, yeah I get it. I can sense what you're sensing. Neither of us knows him personally, though. Plus he's one of us in the sense he wants to drive the game forward in Canada. That part I have all the time for in the world. He's a big personality and that's kind of fun to have in our soccer scene, so whether genuine or played up, I don't mind him coming off a little more pretentious than before. I apprecaite the guy, even if he's an easy target at times lol

I myself did meet him once in Seattle, the day before the 2019 MLS Cup Final.  My friend and I went up to him and he appeared like he was happy to see us.  We talked for a quite a few minutes actually and he carried much of the conversation as if he came up to us.

Seems like a good guy.  I am sure I have now persuaded all the naysayers. 😄

5 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Nah. The man has thin skin. He's rude to his cohosts, and likes to ditch out BS but gets extremely defensive when called out. No one doubts he knows his soccer stuff, that has never been a point of contention, but his character, whether fictional or his true self, is a problem. FFS who tf does this clown think he can interrupt Hume on TV? Crap like that. His over the top approach to things used to be charming/hilarious, but he's slowly transitioned into a Don Cherry like loud mouth, just no.

Okay, just wait a second bud. Cherry was an icon of Canadian Hockey for years. Someone who was controversial, sure, but never someone who we all universally agreed had to go, at all costs. He was a loud mouth on the circuit for years and he was universally accepted. That never changed until (very recently) an ideological movement ultimately ousted him. Whether your agree or disagree with that movement, that's what happened. 

Cherry's supposed crime was saying something perceived as racist in today's ideological climate. Are you suggest Wheeler is headed in that direction? If not, you're merely using a scorned person (Cherry) to unfairly and cheaply degrade Wheeler, simply because he interrupted Hume. 

FFS man, does every media person need to be agreeable lol? That's not realistic or representative of society. And Wheeler is not becoming Cherry. Ease up on that one!

I get disliking what Wheeler is becoming, I really do. I have problems with it as well, but to suggest he has to be likened to Cherry (and insinuate he should be fired if he doesn't stop) is ridiculous.

This hate for Wheeler is what I meant earlier about us eating our own. Let's try appreciating who this guy is and what he brings to the table, lest we want everyone to be the same. 

Diversity in media personalities is a strength, not a weakness. Get your pitchfork out once Wheeler starts to become questionably racist. Until then, chill out and enjoy the entertainment and try not getting so worked up about one person you don't know cutting off another person you don't know. This is all show business and entertainment at the end of the day.

Grapes started as an opinionated colour commentator, but as the sport left him behind he transitioned to hockey loud mouth and eventually to cultural carnival barker to remain relevant.

I think it's a bit early to put Wheeler into the Cherry trajectory, but I have to admit the more rancorous his style has become the more he's reminded me of Don too.

The difference is Don had his time in the game to buy his views and style some leeway.

Edited by The Real Marc

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Okay, just wait a second bud. Cherry was an icon of Canadian Hockey for years. Someone who was controversial, sure, but never someone who we all universally agreed had to go, at all costs. He was a loud mouth on the circuit for years and he was universally accepted. That never changed until (very recently) an ideological movement ultimately ousted him. Whether your agree or disagree with that movement, that's what happened. 

Cherry's supposed crime was saying something perceived as racist in today's ideological climate. Are you suggest Wheeler is headed in that direction? If not, you're merely using a scorned person (Cherry) to unfairly and cheaply degrade Wheeler, simply because he interrupted Hume. 

FFS man, does every media person need to be agreeable lol? That's not realistic or representative of society. And Wheeler is not becoming Cherry. Ease up on that one!

I get disliking what Wheeler is becoming, I really do. I have problems with it as well, but to suggest he has to be likened to Cherry (and insinuate he should be fired if he doesn't stop) is ridiculous.

This hate for Wheeler is what I meant earlier about us eating our own. Let's try appreciating who this guy is and what he brings to the table, lest we want everyone to be the same. 

Diversity in media personalities is a strength, not a weakness. Get your pitchfork out once Wheeler starts to become questionably racist. Until then, chill out and enjoy the entertainment and try not getting so worked up about one person you don't know cutting off another person you don't know. This is all show business and entertainment at the end of the day.

Cherry did not even buy his own poppy, for what it's worth.

It was put on him daily by the producers, the exact poppy in the exact spot as McLean's. 

In this case, to quote Norm McDonald on Bill Cosby, it was the hypocrisy.

And the racism.

But you're right that Wheeler is just soft and fluffy in comparison.

Don Cherry actually got less racist over the years. The way he used to talk about European and French-Canadian players was gross, and some of the insults he used to characterize them bordered on homophobic. He did gradually phase out most of that nonsense, but for someone who was being paid millions to be a professional communicator about hockey, he was astonishingly inarticulate and the version of the game he believed in had ceased existing years ago. His comments that were the last straw were hardly the worst he'd ever said on air, but a convenient excuse to remove a dinosaur.

34 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Cherry did not even buy his own poppy, for what it's worth.

It was put on him daily by the producers, the exact poppy in the exact spot as McLean's. 

In this case, to quote Norm McDonald on Bill Cosby, it was the hypocrisy.

And the racism.

But you're right that Wheeler is just soft and fluffy in comparison.

Exactly, I don't care about Cherry specifically, that wasn't the point. The point was that he's not turning into Cherry for the reasons he got kicked off air. 

11 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Don Cherry actually got less racist over the years. The way he used to talk about European and French-Canadian players was gross, and some of the insults he used to characterize them bordered on homophobic. He did gradually phase out most of that nonsense, but for someone who was being paid millions to be a professional communicator about hockey, he was astonishingly inarticulate and the version of the game he believed in had ceased existing years ago. His comments that were the last straw were hardly the worst he'd ever said on air, but a convenient excuse to remove a dinosaur.

See above. 

53 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

but I have to admit the more rancorous his style has become the more he's reminded me of Don too.

Same. Even the outlandish fashion sense (at times) is reminiscent. I am fine with the comparison on those grounds, but considering what happened to Cherry, we should be careful to distinguish exactly what the reasons are to liken the two, especially when the conversation revolves around removing Wheeler, or suggesting he is unfit for his role. 

13 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Im actually embarassed and feel terrible for guys like Jack/Platt when they have to sit on an "expert" panel with that clown.

Absolutely this. Wheeler just loads up on background information (what club team a guy plays for, how many goals he's scored recently, etc.) because he has nothing to add that's actually technical. It's too bad the OS segments aren't KJ and Platt, or one of them by themselves with Andi. Whenever there's a YouTube clip posted with Wheeler and Platt, I just skip forward to Platt's comments so that I can hear insight.

15 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Im actually embarassed and feel terrible for guys like Jack/Platt when they have to sit on an "expert" panel with that clown.

Yep. What must these guys think of the world when they are two of the more knowledgeable people on the airways and their foil is a buffoon who revels in his own ignorance 

With Mediapro being Spanish, Latin broadcast teams tend to have announcers who have a flamboyant way with words while the analyst talks more straightforward and is more technical inclined. The right combos are works of art. Wheeler isn't there yet and the more technically inclined Canadian analysts aren't ready for prime time yet or not given the chance.

You can't have all Platts & KJs. As Obinna noted, you need diversity of views and style. Wheeler adds to the entertainment value and is more suited for less hardcore followers. 

What some view as rude, arrogant is the de rigueur style in new style North American sports media. And was always there in Latin American futbol media. It's a style that Mediapro has stated they deliberately wanted which is likely why Wheeler and Larson were hired.

Wheeler is also fearless in discussing anything. No sacred cows, putting a positive spin on everything or providing a balanced perspective. Prime example was Sunday night where Hume was out of his element, Sharman looked uncomfortable while Wheeler addressed the issues. I don't agree with the majority of what Wheeler says but I appreciate his change of pace.

I still like Wheeler as a commentator, and mostly as an analyst or whatever on OneSoccer Today. The problems I have with him are his shameless love for TFC (and I'm a TFC fan), and his occasional mixing of fact reporting with overenthusiastic speculation.

The Mitrovic/Nelson thing is a prime example of both of these things rolled into one. It seemed to start out with actual info from the CSA (probably Herdman) about Mitrovic being asked to file for a nation switch at a couple points, then it seemed to warp into Wheeler jumping to conclusions about who is rated ahead of him. The way Wheeler said it has me imagining Herdman saying something like "I'm not even sure if Mitrovic makes it into the gameday 18 if everyone is available" and then Wheeler deciding that means he can rattle off names that Herdman has ahead of Mitrovic, and of course Jayden Nelson has to be on that list because he is getting game time with TFC and they are one of if not the greatest club in North America, just having a bit of a cold streak but they will be totally fine and will turn it around in no time and probably challenge for an MLS Cup.

4 hours ago, red card said:

With Mediapro being Spanish, Latin broadcast teams tend to have announcers who have a flamboyant way with words while the analyst talks more straightforward and is more technical inclined. The right combos are works of art. Wheeler isn't there yet and the more technically inclined Canadian analysts aren't ready for prime time yet or not given the chance.

You can't have all Platts & KJs. As Obinna noted, you need diversity of views and style. Wheeler adds to the entertainment value and is more suited for less hardcore followers. 

What some view as rude, arrogant is the de rigueur style in new style North American sports media. And was always there in Latin American futbol media. It's a style that Mediapro has stated they deliberately wanted which is likely why Wheeler and Larson were hired.

Wheeler is also fearless in discussing anything. No sacred cows, putting a positive spin on everything or providing a balanced perspective. Prime example was Sunday night where Hume was out of his element, Sharman looked uncomfortable while Wheeler addressed the issues. I don't agree with the majority of what Wheeler says but I appreciate his change of pace.

Spain is not Latin or Latino, and Barcelona even less, and Media Pro is about as far from those over-the-top styles as you can imagine. 

I want to see some challenge wheeler on his bias and bullshit. Wheeler wants to keep his nose up the ass to the CSA and I understand why. The CSA is Notorious for kicking media out of the circle. But this time around the CSA can’t hide. Like this whole the thing with the CSB. Yes it maybe be good yea maybe it’s bad - we don’t know the details! Like the things are being thrown out is crazy!!! And we have wheeler defending mediapro and the CSB like a white knight. I wanted Hume to go after him and say the CSA has treated the players like shit for years !!!! If that Jimmy Brennan up there that covo would have been different. No disrespect to Hume ! Love him ! 

23 hours ago, jonovision said:

Don Cherry was so full of crap I tuned him out 20 year ago . and also a overatted coach 

22 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

Don Cherry was so full of crap I tuned him out 20 year ago . and also a overatted coach 

My fav Don Cherry moment of all time was when he was interviewing a bunch of Canadian prospects and one of them mentioned he modeled his game after Henrik Zetterberg and you could see Cherry get visibly annoyed with the player lmao.

6 hours ago, VinceA said:

My fav Don Cherry moment of all time was when he was interviewing a bunch of Canadian prospects and one of them mentioned he modeled his game after Henrik Zetterberg and you could see Cherry get visibly annoyed with the player lmao.

Henrik Zetterberg was a great player 

Now that this thread is apparently about Don Cherry now, i'll add that I found it the way he mocked Europeans for their style of play was not too different than the way we mock Latin Americans for diving. Yes, I know it's completley different in the sense that diving is not really a style of play, such as a reliance on passing the puck instead of dumping the puck into the corners and getting physical, but you know what I mean. The way Latin Americans play for contact is part of their playing style.

Is that a fair comparison?

53 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Now that this thread is apparently about Don Cherry now, i'll add that I found it the way he mocked Europeans for their style of play was not too different than the way we mock Latin Americans for diving. Yes, I know it's completley different in the sense that diving is not really a style of play, such as a reliance on passing the puck instead of dumping the puck into the corners and getting physical, but you know what I mean. The way Latin Americans play for contact is part of their playing style.

Is that a fair comparison?

No, because Canada is a great hockey nation and no one in the world could care less what we might think of other soccer-playing styles. 

We can win at hockey our way. Other ways are also clearly good, and in some cases are even more attractive than our style. We can take a bit of them, can play them if we want, but we can also win mostly our way. 

In soccer, others with radically different styles, whether based on pace, set pieces or gamesmanship, including going down easy to stave off fouling, are successful at the game. Hugely. And also play it beautifully and produce masters. So who cares what some goof in Canada has to say about any aspect of soccer? We don't even have a world-class football pundit yet.

In Spain they may do Don Cherry-type mockery of the inability of the English to read a game and adjust, they are like "chickens with their heads cut off" because they only have one gear. Explaining why they have trouble winning in a pinch unless they play each other, or have pure adrenaline-driven games like Liverpool's famous comeback in Istanbul. The English, in turn, go nuts over the ability of the Spanish, or Italians, to read the game and adjust to micro-moments, stalling, killing off time, squeezing something of nothing against the play, including involving diving (though this is overstated mostly, and there is plenty of diving in EPL). In both cases, however, they mostly begrudgingly or even happily acknowledge the merits of other ways, I think the jingoism is fading in world football in a big way. 

Cherry represented a sort of uptight Upper Canada nationalism of the game, and a bit of the old school. That had its audience, amongst mostly older but I think younger fans too. My view is that part of the old school is in the hearts and minds of all Canadian hockey fans, even those who don't need Cherry to tutor them. I think it was a bit pathetic because it was not based on reality, the gap between the language and reality got bigger and biggerm and then, just look at Canadian NHL clubs and how Canadian NHLers have even been fading steadily in influence on the game for half a century no less.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No, because Canada is a great hockey nation and no one in the world could care less what we might think of other soccer-playing styles. 

We can win at hockey our way. Other ways are also clearly good, and in some cases are even more attractive than our style. We can take a bit of them, can play them if we want, but we can also win mostly our way. 

In soccer, others with radically different styles, whether based on pace, set pieces or gamesmanship, including going down easy to stave off fouling, are successful at the game. Hugely. And also play it beautifully and produce masters. So who cares what some goof in Canada has to say about any aspect of soccer? We don't even have a world-class football pundit yet.

In Spain they may do Don Cherry-type mockery of the inability of the English to read a game and adjust, they are like "chickens with their heads cut off" because they only have one gear. Explaining why they have trouble winning in a pinch unless they play each other, or have pure adrenaline-driven games like Liverpool's famous comeback in Istanbul. The English, in turn, go nuts over the ability of the Spanish, or Italians, to read the game and adjust to micro-moments, stalling, killing off time, squeezing something of nothing against the play, including involving diving (though this is overstated mostly, and there is plenty of diving in EPL). In both cases, however, they mostly begrudgingly or even happily acknowledge the merits of other ways, I think the jingoism is fading in world football in a big way. 

Cherry represented a sort of uptight Upper Canada nationalism of the game, and a bit of the old school. That had its audience, amongst mostly older but I think younger fans too. My view is that part of the old school is in the hearts and minds of all Canadian hockey fans, even those who don't need Cherry to tutor them. I think it was a bit pathetic because it was not based on reality, the gap between the language and reality got bigger and biggerm and then, just look at Canadian NHL clubs and how Canadian NHLers have even been fading steadily in influence on the game for half a century no less.

I really like your insights into the difference between the British style and Souther European styles (Spain, Italy, etc.), but I don't the bolded part of your post (at the top). Why is it relavent that Canada was the top dog in Hockey?

6 hours ago, gigi riva said:

He was not an overrated coach just because you don't like him. He won NHL Coach of the year and was picked to be an assistant to the greatest coach of all time for the greatest team of all time, the 1976 Canada Cup Canadian team.